Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imbroglio
Mar 8, 2013

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, but they probably had a fire going for some other reason and didn't have to pay modern electricity rates :v:
I'm a big proponent of dried beans and pressure cooker for cheap beans and cheap cuts of meat but I'm not going to tell someone unemployed to buy one, or to suggest doing dried beans for 3hrs hours on a stove. If you're home a lot due to not working the power bill might go up enough anyway.

I've always assumed the cost of cooking beans would be negligible, but Fo3 made me doubt myself, so I did some research.

tl;dr: Beans are really cheap, no matter how you cook them. The difference between beans and other foods in terms of protein per dollar is enormous and, as long as you have either time or a pressure cooker, cooking large batches of beans will save you money. Also, I eat a lot of beans.

Things I learned:

• Simmering beans on an electric stove will draw 1.0-1.5 kilowatts.
  • Electricity averages about 11 cents per kilowatt hour in the USA (but might be as high as 20 cents in some places)
  • Gas will probably be cheaper than electric, but I'm not going to worry about gas because none of the cheap apartments I've lived in have had it.

Average cost of cooking beans for 3 hours: (1.2 kW) * (3 hours) * ($0.11 per kWh) = $0.40

Maximum cost: (1.5 kW) * (3 hours) * ($0.20 per kWh) = $0.90

Here's a handy calculator: http://energyusecalculator.com/electricity_stovetop.htm

Information is not abundant for pressure cookers, but I'd guesstimate that most electric ones would use 0.5-1.0 kWh per batch of beans, which would save you roughly 30-70 cents.

I go through roughly 200 lb of dried beans in a typical year (yes, really), and I cook maybe 3 pounds at a time (I think?), so let's say 65 batches a year. The places I've lived have had cheap to average electricity, so using a pressure cooker has saved me at most $20/year, and it'll take my pressure cooker a few more years to pay for itself. In a place with expensive electricity, a pressure cooker would save more like $50/year.

This is more of a difference than I expected (and there have been times in my life where it wouldn't have been negligible), but I think it's low enough that beans are still a cheap as hell source of nutrition even if you don't have a pressure cooker. Nothing else even come close in terms of protein per dollar. Unless you have IBS or something, beans are a great money saving recommendation.

this post got really long, oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imbroglio
Mar 8, 2013

MohawkSatan posted:

Just remember to rinse the sauerkraut first, eh?

I make sauerkraut all the time and I've never heard of rinsing it, is this a thing?
My bacteria worked hard for all that lactic acid, and I'd hate to wash any of it down the drain.

Imbroglio
Mar 8, 2013

MohawkSatan posted:

For soups you generally rinse it, for everything else that poo poo comes straight outta the jar. Unless you want a particularly acidic soup I guess?
Particularly acidic soup is exactly what I want. Thanks for clarifying.