Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
This thread has been an amazing help for me. I have been lurking through it for a couple months and have managed to cut my grocery bill down quite a bit, and have improved the quality of food I am eating. My normal grocery bill was running around $60-$100, i have that down to around $40 now( except when i need coffee and soda ). I feel so much better about myself when mt cart is filled with fresh raw ingredients and not processed crap food. On top of that my cooking skills have improved significantly. Thanks you guys/gals so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Good to hear. So what did you change? What do you think helped most in getting costs down?

The biggest changes were that I stopped buying frozen processed food, no more hot pockets, frozen pizza, and no more instant mashed potatoes. I do however buy frozen veggies. I also stopped buying lunch. I make sure to make an extra portion or two for dinner the night before and just take that for lunch the next day. This has saved me a ton of money as well. Eliminiating snack foods also helped. I still didn't give up soda, but i guess we all need a vice. I still buy frozen chicken breasts ( i know, flame away ), but i use that for maybe once a week meals at most. Most of the time i will buy the pre-roasted chickens and break those down for about 2-3 meals worth of meat. I use to buy pre-marinated pork loins and they would cost about $7-8 for a pound or so of pork. I now buy unmarinated pork loin and get about 3-4 pounds for around $10, and i make it way better with my own spices. I also eat pasta about two times a week, and this is cheap and easy. Some spaghetti with sausage and some chicken alfredo with meat from the roasted chicken make for quick meals that are not super healthy, but better than a frozen pot pie.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

PopeCrunch posted:

Costco has sacks of frozen boneless skinless chicken thighs for significantly cheaper than breasts - you can sub them out for breasts in practically everything, they're just as convenient, but have a lot more flavor.

I will look into that. I have been wanting to get a costco card for awhile ( i know costco bad, mom and pops good ). I can usually get 3 lbs of frozen breasts for about $6.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

I find the bandoleer of thighs have an incredible amount of fat on them, to the point where I feel like I'm cutting more of the package away than I'd like to. Also the girlfriend doesn't like dark meat but that's besides the point.

Also jhorphear, why not roast your own chickens? I find the result is way better and you can get a lot more meat for cheaper. I do grab the pre-done birds when I'm in a hurry and I can stretch it over a few days, but roasting it yourself is a bit cheaper and lets you get some really great flavors.

I agree that roasting my own would be best. And i have been watching videos on how to break down a chicken, so i guess i am just working up to it. Does anyone have any tips on how to make a good roasted chicken?

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Thanks for the advice! I will have to give that a try on my next chicken. I still have yet to attempt to make stock, but I think i will give that a try on this next chicken.