Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

One batch of that recipe served with rice lasts the two of us three days, with me also taking it for lunch two or three days. We bought a 2 pound bag of lentils for $4, which you could probably get cheaper. After three batches we still have about a pound left.

That recipe calls for two cups of lentils per batch. How are you get 11-12 cups of lentils out of 2 pounds? I usually get 2-3 cups per pound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

22 Eargesplitten posted:

They’re dried lentils, are you using dried? It might be three pounds, but I think it’s two. I don’t know if red lentils vs green makes a difference.

I guess we’ve actually only used 5 cups. The first two times my wife wanted to try mixing some garbanzo beans in for variety but it ended up sucking because the garbanzo beans took forever to cook compared to the lentils. In those two batches we used 1.5 cups of lentils each and .5 cups of garbanzo beans.

So I guess we’re getting roughly 10 cups from 2 pounds?

Yeah, I’m using dried. Here’s a picture of a pound of popcorn:

Measured out into a cup measure as about 2 cups.

A cup of popcorn weighs about 225g versus 210g for a cup of lentils. I think at the verrrry start of the thread Dino mentioned something similar about getting several cups out of a pound of rice/beans and i have no idea how people are managing this. A quick google says that that a pound of lentils equals 2.29 cups.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Sorry to be pedantic about it. I just remember way back when I was living on a lot less and whether those beans gave me two cups or four cups was a big deal.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

dino. posted:

Amazing tips on cooking with depression

That is some real poo poo, dino. I hope that you are continuing to recover and maintain. Your tips and recipes on here have been as much a help to my cooking as any other famous chef or food blogger. Thank you so much!