Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I went food shopping today and oxtails were $4.99/lb - at the discount grocery store :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dirtbag Diva posted:

Since a lot of this thread has been asking if x is a good deal for y, I'll see if I'm getting fleeced on frozen shrimp or not. My local grocery store is running a deal on frozen, skin/tail on shrimp for half price (9.99 from 19.99 for two pounds). Fleeced or good deal?

It depends - what's the shrimp count per pound?

(like 11-15, 16-20, etc)

If the shrimp count per pound is really high, you're paying a lot of money for shrimp shells and not much else.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

captkirk posted:

I read this off the back of package of my quinoa and it was suprisingly tastey.

1 cup of cooked quinoa
1 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz can of sweet corn, drained
1 diced red bell pepper

Mix that together, then mix together
3 Tbsp of lime juice
2 Tbsp of olive oil
2 tsp of cummin

fold that into the quinoa/bean/corn/pepper mix. Cheap, not bad, prevents scurvy, what more could you want?

Salt.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Rancid Liverwurst posted:

Any good low carb suggestions? Doesn't even have to be cheap. Getting tired of eating salami and cheese everyday for lunch.

How about salad? You can still have your gluttonous additions in the forms of salami and cheese, but you can add all sorts of vegetables that are low-carb, nutritious, and full of fiber to keep you full.

Ideas:

Raw broccoli
Raw cauliflower
Radishes
Romaine lettuce
Banana peppers
Sliced mushrooms
Onions
Chick peas (medium-carb)
Cucumbers
Avocado
Olives
Bell pepper
Any sort of pepper
Carrots
Sunflower seeds
Pepitas
Almonds

Just make sure whatever dressing you use isn't full of sugar (which a lot of "light" dressings use to enhance the flavor), which will keep your carb intake as low as possible.

If you buy large quantities all at once and make one huge salad, you can divvy it up into servings for a week and the cost per serving will be pretty inexpensive.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I thought salad and vegetables go bad pretty fast once you wash and cut them? Like in a couple of days.

I make a large bowl of salad with romaine, cucumbers, sliced button mushrooms, chick peas, and celery in a tupperware container. As long as I keep the lid airtight in between removing servings, I've had it last a week and a half before. At most the lettuce will brown a little and the mushrooms will dehydrate slightly and turn a deeper brown, but it has no effect on the overall flavor. One week should be more than enough time to consume it all with no negative consequences.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

I do have a poo poo ton of Mason jars and a foodsaver, I'll have to check that out thanks.

e: First few links don't even mention using the sealer, and since I only need 5 days of food, I should be able to seal it normally right?

Yep, just make sure it's airtight and you should be good to go.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

Made a couple out of seasoned rice vinegar, tomatoes, cucumber, cilantro, and mixed greens.

Any tips on not being a gigantic idiot and forgetting them at home?

Seasoned rice vinegar? Did you pre-dress the salads? If so, that will dramatically reduce their longevity...sorry I didn't mention this earlier. You're going to want to just make the salad and dress it at the time you're actually eating it.

As far as not forgetting them at home, I make my lunch the night before and stick it in my lunch bag, which I keep in the fridge. Once you get in the habit of always grabbing your lunch bag before leaving, it becomes automatic (especially since if I forgot my lunch I'd feel like poo poo running out to get fast food or something and hating myself for it).

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sarkimedes posted:

Are Polish grocery stores particularly good for anything other than sauerkraut? There's a couple near me, and I'm wondering if they might be better than Aldi/Lidl for certain foods.

Get some unsmoked, fresh kielbasa. That poo poo is so good I will eat it until it's all gone, doesn't matter how much is in front of me.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fo3 posted:

Are you feeling insane due to lack of vegetables? I know I would.
Why no leafy greens, veg like pumpkin, tomatoes, bell peppers, cukes etc?
No rice or pasta?

But I'm mainly posting to ask what do you do with frozen grapes?

e: Condolences on only having one onion and head of garlic a week as well. That is tough, even I have a special budget for them, even if it means less eggs, beans or bread.

Frozen grapes are a great snack, especially on a budget. Nature's candy!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

neogeo0823 posted:

So yesterday, I bought a pack of bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts with ribs. I also bought a carnival squash and a butternut squash. I plan on roasting everything, and I need a bit of advice on flavor pairing. The squash will be cut in half, seeds scooped out, and baked cavity side up with butter, salt, pepper, and brown sugar in the cavity, until that's tender, then scooped out and either chopped and tossed in the extra glaze, or made into mash depending on how soft it gets. What do you guys think I should stuff under the skin of the chicken to compliment the squash?

Butter, thyme.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm looking for some relatively quick recipes that are generally diet friendly. Not really any specific diet, so much as a eat-loving-less diet. My only real constraint is time. I work Monday through Friday, 8:30 - 5, so big crockpot meals are out except for the weekends. Quicker meals are better for the weeknights.

Also, anyone have any good ideas for add-ins and flavorings for hummus? I just got done with a spinach and artichoke hummus that was kind of all right, but not amazing. My standard flavor for hummus has been 5 spice powder and red pepper flakes, but I'm always looking for new ways to flavor the stuff.

I don't make hummus, I use store bought, but I like to dice up homemade pickles and stir those in. Adds a nice vinegary punch.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SoleilEquil posted:

What's a good resource to use for cheap vegetarian (that are tasty) dishes? Having to cut back on meats and fried foods because of health reasons. I have made recipes for cauliflower mashed "potatoes" and kale chips (surprisingly good). However, I can only eat so much cauliflower and kale. :bang:

This thread is also an invaluable resource for such dishes.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

neogeo0823 posted:

So, over the last week it's been topping out at ~85 degrees with 70% humidity during the day, and never going below ~75 degrees with 50% humidity at night, all the while we've been having random thunderstorms. Combine this with the skyrocketing price of meat in general over the next few years, and I'm looking for inspiration for new dinners that are low or no heat to make, as well as with little or no meat.

For this week, I'm thinking gazpacho and some kind of shrimp. Maybe scampi, maybe grilled, I dunno. I'm also thinking of doing a shrimp fried rice loosely based on this recipe. I've also been seeing a lot of different colored vegetables at the local grocers as of late. Things like rainbow chard, purple potatoes, red carrots, etc. I'm thinking of making some kind of salad that's as multicolored as possible.

So yeah, any other ideas or inspirations are welcome. I'm open to whatever you guys can come up with.

A mostly low-heat dish I love to make is quinoa salad. You cook the quinoa in a rice cooker which doesn't really put off any heat and let it cool. Slice some thin strips of red and orange bell peppers, onions, and maybe some capers or other cold veggies you like. I enjoy tossing some chilled shrimp into it, then dressing it with a homemade vinaigrette. Cheap for the most part, easy, cool, filling, and tasty as gently caress.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Stockchat - just FYI Kenji Lopez tested traditional vs pressure cooked vs slow cooked stock here and the slow cooker stock fared worst out of all three methods. Obviously even slow cooked homemade stock will be miles ahead of store bought but it can be worth it to go other routes.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dino. posted:

Heat pan on stove. Add kraut. When hot, turn off.

Could you elaborate a bit further on the second step? It's a bit confusing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Writer Cath posted:

My brother and Dad are huge fish eaters, while Mom and I aren't in the slightest. I got a really good deal on some frozen sole. They're not huge portions, but so far, all I know is to fry them with a little oil and lemon juice. Can anyone suggest a variation?

Stuffed sole loving rules.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

KettleWL posted:

I knew the first part, never thought about the second (that it's been frozen before I got it), but of course it makes sense. Ugh. I guess we'll see, but not counting on it optimistically.

Worst case scenario, if it does come out as mush, use it to make fish balls/fish cakes/fish salad/some other preparation that doesn't rely on whole filets.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Make a shitload of breakfast (or not-breakfast) burritos, freeze, and microwave as needed.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

I buy the ones at the store that are packaged like this:

PORK: BE INSPIRED

:what:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What are good cheap proteins? I'm thinking milk, eggs, and peanut butter, aside from the obvious cheap cuts of meat. Are there any cheaper peanut butters without added sugar? I thought that's what natural peanut butter was, but apparently not.

Eggs (particularly the whites), though avian flu is causing them to spike in price quite a bit. Still cheap for what you get.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts.

Milk.

Legumes are pretty good cheap sources of protein for being plant-based (chick peas, lentils, beans, etc).

Peanut butter is an okay protein source but it's also rather high-calorie for the amount of protein present. Unless you like the sweetened Reese's style peanut butter, the only ingredients should be peanuts and salt (or no salt if that's not your thing). Shouldn't be terribly expensive unless it's some frou-frou "artisanal" bullshit peanut butter.

Tofu is pretty cheap and an excellent protein source.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Also keep in mind that you CAN cook meat straight from frozen. It's not always feasible depending on the recipe you're making, but it can definitely be done.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

All of the restaurant supply stores near me require proof of, well, being for a restaurant or they won't sell to you. How do you get around that?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

One of the biggest upsides of cooking dried beans is the bean broth you're left with after they're done. I've used black, kidney, garbanzo (which I cook the most of, by far), northern, and adzuki broth for a variety of uses. Mostly bases for soups. The adzuki broth was so gelatinous that it was barely a broth, and we turned it into red bean pudding after just chilling it for a while. It was tasty as hell! Then we used the adzuki beans to make brownies. Highly recommended.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Booyah- posted:

Any recommendations for garbanzo bean based recipes? I just got an instant pot and making these from scratch is #1 on my agenda. I will of course do hummus but am looking for others' favorite recipes.

I cook a huge batch of chick peas and make a chick pea salad to eat for lunch during the week. I cook about 1060 grams of dried chick peas, which provides enough for the salad as well as one full quart container to use for the week in other applications. I dice four stalks of celery, a bunch of radishes, a whole medium onion, sometimes a cucumber, sometimes radishes, and three to four jalapenos depending on their size. I dress it with either tzatziki and white vinegar, or plain yogurt, mayo, and white vinegar. It's super tasty and super healthy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

neogeo0823 posted:

Both burritos cook well in a toaster oven at 450 for 45 minutes. Make fresh beans and tortillas and whatever else at your own discretion. I'm neither poor enough nor motivated enough to make everything from scratch. Point is, is cheap, filling, quick to make, and lasts me all work week. It's hard to quantify exactly how much i spent though because a lot of this was stuff i either bought as part of other meals or had laying around.

Do you cook them beforehand and microwave them at work, or do you dominate the work toaster oven for 45 minutes?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm trying to get on a diet of the general "eat less poo poo, be full, lose weight" variety, and I'm looking for good make ahead meals to bring to work for lunch. Anyone got any good ideas? Hot or cold is fine, but i only really have access to a fridge and microwave. I have been doing home made frozen burritos for the last few weeks and have gotten really tired of them, so anything other than that would be appreciated, thanks.

I used to make a huge batch of pasta for the week, but with a twist. I was trying to lose weight at the time and used 1 lb. of pasta for five days worth of lunches, which isn't much pasta per day. I'd make huge portions though, by filling it out with tons of veggies. I was particular to broccoli, mushrooms, onions, spinach, and squash/zucchini, but you can go for whatever veggies tickle your fancy. To cut down on the sugar found in typical storebought sauces, I'd make my own by cooking down a 28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes with a large quartered yellow onion and some garlic, and stick blending it all into a nice sauce. Salt to taste. I also added a bunch of chopped up chicken breast to add some protein.

When the veggies:pasta ratio is something like 3:1, you still get that delicious carby pasta goodness along with tons of fiber and filling veg.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

HydeLyde posted:

What's the best, yet cost effective, cut of chicken for shredding to make wraps/sandwiches? Is this a case where buying breasts isn't a bad idea?

Thighs. Breasts will shred, thighs you'll get more of a chopped meat consistency, but they'll be tastier, and a lot cheaper for the most part.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

I want to make grilled pork chops; and I want to coat them in some sort of marinade that includes marmalade. What else should I put on them?

Thinly slice red chili peppers and affix to the chops with caul fat. While grilling, baste with marmalade. Sweet, spicy, fatty!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

DasNeonLicht posted:

I tried to make fried polenta from scratch once, and I don't quite remember what I did wrong, but I do remember it spattering violently in my oiled pan and sticking like a motherfucker. Honestly, it was traumatic. What's the best way not to gently caress it up like I did?

Probably a lower temperature and less oil. You're not looking to deep fry it, just make sure there's enough fat to really get some good browning going, like a 1/8th to 1/16th of an inch layer of oil. It'll release of its own accord once it's properly browned. Flip, do the same thing to the other side, enjoy. I would do this on a medium-high heat, like a 6/10 on my electric range.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've been making the following dish for my weekday lunches for the past several months.

600g dry chickpeas
1 large yellow onion
1 head celery
1 bunch cilantro (or other fresh herb of choice)
Hot peppers to taste

Pressure cook the chickpeas in very well-seasoned water until overcooked. You want them a bit mushy. With my pressure cooker (Presto 8 qt stainless), that's about 50 minutes of cook time. Drain the chickpeas and toss back in the pressure cooker.

Dice the onion, celery, cilantro, and hot peppers (I use 4 habaneros with seeds which makes it pleasantly spicy) and toss in with the chickpeas. Break out your potato masher and get to mashing. Mash, mash, mash until your arm feels like it's going to fall off. It should turn into a mostly cohesive paste, though occasionally there will be a whole chickpea here or there that gets missed. That's fine. If you mash and mash and mash and it's not turning into a paste but looking dry and crumbly, you may need to add a little water; maybe 1/4 cup at a time. You usually won't need much/any.

Once properly mashed, scrape out into a baking dish and smooth it out. Bake at 400 for 50-60 minutes or until it gets nice and browned. This dish is basically made to reheat, so it's great for lunches. It's cheap as hell, incidentally vegan, and delicious. It reminds me a bit of Thanksgiving stuffing.

Ready to bake.

Finished product.

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Astonishing Wang posted:

Savory chickpea bread? Is that what I'm looking at?

Not really bread so much as a savory chickpea cake.