Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Mathhole posted:

How much is a lot? I do probably 2 meals a week. Should I be heading over to discount tombstones now?

Why is the tastiest and cheapest food always bad for your soul? Kill me now.

I'm one of the optimists, though, so I didn't take in much of what you said and will continue with my same eating habits.

Lots of salt and a laundry list of chemicals and preservatives, nutritionally devoid of anything other than processed carbs. If anything, buy some fresh ramen or other noodles at your local Asian store and then make a miso-based broth for it.

Real ramen is actually good food, like pasta can be. Packeted ramen is a salt bomb with airy, unsatisfying noodles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
To clarify, the one thing that you can't do with a rice cooker is making recipes that require low heat, simmering, or braising. The rice cooker will always go to a full boil, then switch to a warm mode when it detects that all the liquid is gone. It's good for stews though, since you boil those. Just set a timer and turn it off yourself. Otherwise, the crock pot will boil it until all the liquid is completely gone, then keep that lovely mess warm for you.

A crock pot will work for rice, but won't sense the exact point when the water has boiled off to turn off the heat. You'll have to watch the pot yourself for rice. Great for simmering, braising and stews, however. Good models have a timer which will switch it to a warming mode after a preset amount of time.

You can find combination models that do both flawlessly, but they will cost more than the basic models of dedicated rice cookers and slow cookers.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
I'm pretty damned poor at the moment, but I can make pulled pork and feel like a king. If you have a smoker or grill, that's the best option, but if not, go for pseudo BBQ in your oven or crock pot.

Get a big chunk of pork shoulder, Boston Butt. 5 to 7 pounds should work nicely. Rub it with spices and such. Put your smoker/grill/oven at 225 to 250F. Put that bigass butt in and let it go until it can be pulled. That'll take 190F to 200F internal temperature inside that beautiful butt. It takes the better part of a day to cook it, but it'll leave you pounds of delicious pork meat.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Admiral Snuggles posted:

I have to add that I completely disagree with this point. Ramen is basically carbs, protein, and salt. These are things your body needs. Eat this poo poo if you're poor it will keep you alive.

And leave you with possible diabetes and sodium intake related problems. It'll keep you alive, but this stuff really isn't meant for eating everyday, much less multiple times a day for a long long time. If you're in a rut for a few weeks or a month, sure, it'll get you through.

At the very least, ramen should be fancied up with vegetables, meats, and eggs. Lighten the sodium load by only putting in a part of the flavor packet, and avoid drinking all the soup after the noodles are gone unless you actually need the salt, like if you go jogging in the summer, for instance.

Moderation and variety, folks.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

razz posted:

Oh that reminds me, Aldi's broccoli is awesome. At first, I picked up a package and was like "Holy poo poo, this is a tiny broccoli for $1.26!" and put it back down. But then I dug around a little bit and there were identical packages (just a foam tray with cling-wrap type packaging) with MEGA GIANT 2 HEADS OF BROCCOLI TOGETHER so huge they were sticking a couple inches over the side. Easily 3 times the amount of broccoli as the first one I picked up. And it was DEFINITELY a bargain at $1.26.

I went and bought a head of iceberg lettuce. I didn't pay attention, and when I got home, I saw that it was mostly hollow inside after the first few leaves.

When buying things by item price instead of weight, look around for the best package.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Darval posted:

What the gently caress, I'd have loved to see a picture of this

It's just the way the leaves grew. It was a nice looking head from the outside, but after the outside leaves, the inside leaves curved inwards leaving a somewhat hollow, very loosely packed inside. I probably got only 1/2 of the lettuce i'd have gotten from a heavy, tightly grown head of lettuce.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

spite house posted:

Soy sauce, pressed garlic and black pepper is all you will ever need. Maybe with a sweet element, like pineapple juice, for pork.

Careful with the pineapple juice. It tenderizes so if you marinade it for too long, you get mushy meat. A good non-tenderizing substitute for a long marinade is apple juice.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, seriously, they're a buck apiece, and if the taste was important, you'd just cook and eat garlic and onions.

Really, the only thing that I ever use onion and garlic powder are for dry rubs for BBQ and other dry spice mixes that I have around for convenience. Otherwise, they are better fresh.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Now that I have a pizza stone, I want to make some very crusty and chewy garlic bread. Anyone have a suggested recipe?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

DownByTheWooter posted:

In my experience, the best rice to use for fried rice is day-old, leftover rice kept in the refrigerator.

Right, and keep it uncovered overnight if your rice is even slightly too mushy. Using freshly cooked rice, even if cooled to room temp, makes for a mushy, sticky mess of a fried rice dish.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

bunnielab posted:

I bet weed and beer aren't allowed either.

Get a window fan and blow the delicious smells out. That way your RA won't be suspicious any cooking, especially if you're not on the ground floor. Then again, your RA might think you're smoking pot if he sees the fan from the outside.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

redmercer posted:

On a slightly different subject, has anyone else found that the more you pay for instant ramen; the grosser it always turns out to be?

I've generally found the opposite. The noodles tend to be thicker with a better texture and the broth is better and more complex. Like, I can't stand Maruchan after having had Nong Shim and Myojo Chukazanmai. Are you talking about cup noodles or the square packets that you have to do with a stove and pot? What exactly don't you like about the brands you've tried?

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 28, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

They also have fresh noodle instant ramen at my stores. The ajisen stuff is about 2bux each, but worth it.

The fresh ramen tends to be amazing, and well worth it for a "special occasion" ramen meal. Sun Noodle brand makes a tonkatsu version that has the most amazing broth paste packet that I've ever tasted, short of an actual good restaurant.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

redmercer posted:

To close up on ramenchat: The ones I've tried are the Nongshim bowls (noodles were weird and spongy) and some of Nissin's chow mein bowls (too oily). Also, I don't care for the "spoonable noodles" in Nissin's Big Cup. I just like the simplicity of the OG: Styrofoam cup, long noodles, seasoning and freeze-dried meat & veg.

Now, getting well the gently caress off that: Rice cookers! Don't have an oven? Want to bake bread? Rice cooker's got your back, yo!

I'd stay away from bowl noodles in general if you have a stove and pot for the packet noodles. Stuff just doesn't cook right when you only pour in a cup of boiling water, and manufacturers probably have to do some weird things to their noodles to make sure that they get soft enough, aka gross. Also you can't put in real veggies, meats, and eggs for an actual, more rounded meal.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Saint Darwin posted:

I was inspired by the super easy slow cooker pork recipe(s) here and in the slow cooker thread, so I stopped by H Mart and grabbed a butt.

I got the smallest one, which means it's a monstrous 7.5 lb hunk of animal. I hope I can get even half of it in the cooker at once, which means I gotta save the other half. What are other cheap applications involving a pork butt? With luck I can get at least 3 dinners out of this thing, I would reckon, if not more (assuming all 4 people in my house are partaking each night)

edit: My friend reminded me I have a smoker, which is not a big deal to use, but I wanted some more ideas for when I don't want to brave the snow to use it.

Pork shoulders are often cut up into strips, which are commonly called "country style ribs." They're perfect for things like char siu and other roasting recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

indoflaven posted:

I don't know why more people don't hunt deer. My favorite meal is venison backstrap butterflied and cooked in butter with canned potatoes and onions.

It's probably about $3 per serving. Venison teriyaki is my second favorite meal of all time and probably cost $2 per serving.

I think that there are quite a lot of people who don't like the gamey taste. I love venison, but don't have guns or a bow. Some extended family do, and I always appreciate it when they bring some over.