Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Aside from a general warning about whirled peas and maybe using the report button a little more often boys and girls, I'd like to repeat Jack Skeleton's advice on the whole seasonal eating thing. Food is less expensive when it doesn't have to come from another continent.

Farmers' markets really can be a huge help to the budget if you have some idea of produce prices in regular stores. For bonus cheapness, go late in the day. If your farmers' market is like mine and sets up in a temporary location, the sellers probably don't want to cart off a lot of produce that will rot before the next market starts up. They usually give half off highly perishable stuff like tomatoes, strawberries, etc. right before they close down.

Don't do that every week. You'll get much better variety going early, but if you need a big batch of something it's worth delaying and hoping there's some left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Erethizon_dorsatum posted:

I'm new to cooking and a dumb babby :(. I am interested in learning how to make soup. How do I make stock from bones? Any good, easy recipes? Winter's coming and there's nothing like a bowl of hot soup on a cold day.

Try out the General Questions thread, Mr. or Ms. Porcupine.