Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

You can grab a $5 mortar & pestle at the same grocery stores. I agree that the coffee will taste spicy if you do it in the same grinder as the spices.

Spicy coffee is amazing though! Sometimes I'll chuck a peppercorn or two or a couple allspice berries into the grinder when making coffee, and it's loving delightful. :hydrogen::coffee:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

When I want something immensely satisfying, shockingly inexpensive, and apocalyptically unhealthy, I go no further than good old biscuits and gravy. It's cheap, it's easy, it's filling, and it's delicious. All you need for ingredients are a pound of pork sausage ($2.25 at my local grocer for store brand), a pint of milk (a little over a buck), a quarter cup of flour (epsilon) and some salt and pepper. You will be serving this over biscuits - either make your own or get the canned kind for $1.25, it's up to you.

Drop your sausage in the pan and sizzle it up until it's cooked, crumbled, and sitting in a decent amount of DELICIOUS PORK FAT. Sprinkle your flour over the whole works and stir stir stir until you can't see the flour anymore, and the fat has turned into a light brown pasty stuff. Stir in your milk - I do this slowly, but it probably doesn't matter that much - and although you don't have to stir it CONSTANTLY, you should stir it pretty often. In a minute or two, the milk will thicken, the gravy will come together, and it will start to smell really loving good. Salt and pepper to taste - I wind up with about a half-teaspoon of each - and serve over halved biscuits. Serves 4, 3 if you're really hungry. Not bad for under $5!

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

redmercer posted:

And don't forget to use the whole broccoli!

Yesssssss

Broccoli stems are GREAT in stews or soups. I like to slice them to about 1/8 inch thickness and stick them in a quick pickle, too. (Cucumbers, carrots, radishes, green beans, whatever. Water, vinegar, salt, sugar, spicerack. Leave in fridge overnight, delicious.)

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Seriously who do I have to blow to get cucumbers 8 for a buck? Goddamn.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Zettace posted:

This was a while ago, but...

this is actually the reverse. Wood is porous which allows bacteria to stick to the board even when washed. Plastic doesn't absorb stuff so it doesn't harbour bacteria and it's what the FDA recommends.

Wood is also hygroscopic as all get out, so it's going to suck the moisture out of anything and kill it. Provided there aren't gouges in it deep enough for moisture to collect and impede evaporation (absorption can only handle so much), a wooden cutting board is actually easier to keep safe than plastic for the home cook.

Note that the different conditions in a professional kitchen, or even a really high-volume home kitchen, flip this around - the wood cutting board needs a rinse and a few hours to work its magic. Plastic cutting boards are faster to sanitize right up until the point where their surface becomes a varied landscape of tiny cuts and scratches (so about a week into its lifespan).

Glass is, of course, right out. Don't use glass cutting boards :(

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Posting again about making pasta sauce from (near) scratch. Pound of penne, can of tomatoes, can of tomato paste, some spicerack and an onion I already had, fed a family of three with leftovers for under three bucks.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I made this last night http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2012/01/teriyaki-meatball-bowls-789-recipe-132.html and it was loving delightful. She does that weird thing with food cost estimation that figures partial price of whatever ingredient based on how much of it you're using, so initial outlay will be more if you need to buy ingredients you only use a little of at a time, but it's still pretty cheap and loving delicious. I need to use more ginger in my life, clearly.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Costco has sacks of frozen boneless skinless chicken thighs for significantly cheaper than breasts - you can sub them out for breasts in practically everything, they're just as convenient, but have a lot more flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

EVG posted:

I love buying chicken feet to give body to a stock. They're super cheap at the Asian grocer and then I can menace any passersby with the creepy claws.

Hell loving yes. This also has the benefit of being able to weird out my kid when he asks what I got at the store and I give him my very best Deliverance grin and say 'I done got me a big ol' bag of feeeeet'

My son doesn't ask me very many questions anymore.