Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Grok posted:

What are they actually asking for here? Cream of mushroom soup comes up in a lot of recipes, but due to some food allergies I can't just buy a can of Campbell's. I try to just add milk or something but it's never the same.
To make your own Cream of Mushroom Soup, it's really easy.

The basic gist of it is taking some diced onion/shallot, softening them in butter or oil, and then putting in your mushrooms until they've given up all their water and it's evaporated. At this point the mushrooms will be able to start to brown and get flavourful. Then you add some stock (or the mushroom-soaking water if you used dried mushrooms), let it simmer down to very little liquid, add a splash of brandy if you want, and then add cream or milk to the desired consistency.

From there you can make lots of modifications. You can add garlic or other "hard" diced vegetables (i.e. carrot or celery, not broccoli which tastes bad if it cooks too long) with the onion, spices with the stock or cream, a bit of sour cream, parmesan, whatever floats your boat.

You won't be able to treat it exactly like a can of Campbell's in other "recipes" but if you brown some beef in same pan you're going to make the soup, set the beef aside and then add it back in when the soup is ready you'll end up with a (very) basic stroganoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I'm hoping that "deboner" means "boning knife", which is a fairly thin, often flexible knife which is more effective/precise than other types of knife for this purpose.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

If your dried peas and beans continue to have a weird gritty/crunchy texture no matter the method you use or how long you cook them, it may be that they're old. If you bought them from a store with low turnover I'd put my money on that.

If you can, buy from stores with high turnover and don't buy more than you can use in six to eight months. Dried beans do go "off" even if they don't actually go bad. I think that they have about a year, give or take, before they simply won't cook up properly.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Yeah, there's just no comparison when you get a truly good bulb of garlic and you can use a quarter the amount you'd have to with the grown-in-China stuff at the grocery store. Even if the cost is a bit higher per bulb it makes up the difference in the strength of flavour.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Regarding onions and garlic, I think it's Jainism that prohibits consuming root vegetables.

Regarding making your own paneer, it is super easy and a very fun, simple introduction to cheese-making. I'm one of those people who finds new and creative ways of screwing up in the kitchen on a daily basis, and I had no problems making paneer my first try. The recipe on Manjula's kitchen served me well.

Just keep in mind that you get a fairly small amount of paneer from a fairly large amount of milk. It may be that a pound of pre-made paneer will cost you less than the milk for a pound of home-made. I tried to look up some numbers because I couldn't recall from my own batches, but the reports vary from anywhere between half a gallon to two gallons to produce a pound of paneer, which is pretty unhelpful!

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Capsaicin posted:

Is "mince meat" different from ground beef?
That would depend. If it is "minced meat" then no, probably not different. If it is "mince meat" then yes, likely very different.

The context will tell you for sure, of course. Mincemeat is a pie filling made of dried fruits like raisins and stuff.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

miryei posted:

Does anyone know where to find cheap groceries in Edmonton? I recently moved up here and food prices are way higher than I'm used to, and I'm having a lot of trouble finding any variety of peppers (even in the ethnic stores I've tried)
I don't live in Edmonton so this suggestion might actually suck a lot, but I do know there's a T&T Supermarket there somewhere (I'm betting West Ed), and if you haven't tried it, give it a shot to see if the prices there are any better than elsewhere.

Of course, T&T is now owned by the same company that operates Superstore. I just find that it tends to have better deals on certain things and has a wildly different variety of stuff, but given that you're so far north things like peppers probably come at a premium no matter where you're shopping.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

This is the first time those little cocotte things have sounded actually worth having around.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

If lemons are reasonably-priced, I like to quarter one and stick it into the cavity along with some salt and some sprigs of thyme (easy to grow if you have the right window conditions). I don't know how much effect it has on the bird itself but it makes the pan sauce taste lovely.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

Since this is the poor people thread and were talking about stock... If at all possible, buy whole chicken. Wings and spine all have a terrific amount of connective tissue and are delicious. With a sharp knife and a little practice, it doesn't take long at all to break. The bird down into pieces, or just roast whole. If you keep your eye out for sales, whole birds are right in line with thighs in price.
Hell. Buy chicken bones. I can get enough chicken carcasses to fill my pressure cooker for two or three bucks, noting that chicken up here in Canada is more expensive in general than down in the US. Most butcher shops that carry chicken will have chicken carcasses available (often frozen), left over from when they break down whole chickens. If you use a lot of stock but don't necessarily buy chicken all the time (or can't afford to), this is a great way to keep your stock supply healthy.

That said, I've come across a couple butchers that price their chicken bones fairly high, so YMMV even between stores within the same area.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Yup, it's pretty fast in the pressure cooker. It means your place doesn't smell quite so much like chicken stock or for as long, which may be either a pro or a con depending on your circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

It's interesting to me, because the blogger is presumably a person who knows how to shop frugally, yet it doesn't occur to her to shop somewhere other than Whole Foods on her first week of this challenge. Of all people, this is a person I would expect to come out the gate rocking this challenge, not ending up eating 900 calories a day because she blew her budget on overpriced, well, everything. I hope her next week's report shows some improvement.