Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
12 minutes is a hell of a long time to steam broccoli. I do it for 5, and that's just because some family members like it more cooked than I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Riptor posted:

In a lot of states it is perfectly legal and proper to withhold rent provided you inform the landlord as to your (valid) reason for doing so. A malfunctioning refrigerator, and multiple notices to fix it having gone unanswered is as valid a reason as any.

Even then, there is generally a process that must be follower. Certified notice, waiting period, etc.

I live in Virginia where you can't do that at all. The law prescribes a method of tenant's assertion, whereby you give the landlord notice, time to remedy the defect, and then deposit rent into the court escrow account until a hearing can be held.

Ultimately, you need to know your state's law before you do something that could get you evicted and ruin your credit.

No matter where I was though, I would start by sending a certified, return receipt letter stating the problems, and indicating that they are a threat to the wellbeing of the occupants.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

silversiren posted:

Does Walmart tend to be cheaper than Most other stores?

Yes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They have to put a sell by date on it, and when that date rolls around, they reduce the price so they can get something for it as opposed ot throwing it away and getting nothing. I get a lot of cheap beef this way. Like these prime new yorks I stocked up on, for $2.45 a pound:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is that? It doesn't even look like the elephant garlic I've seen (which isn't garlic either).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's fine, it's just loving sausage. Ricola is just being a dick.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mise isn't just for when you're cooking for 40. Having your mise is also important for things like stir fry, where once you start you can't stop and do more prep. It's also useful when you're following a recipe with many ingredients, or making multiple dishes.

In short, get your poo poo together before anything hits the heat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That sounds terrible.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also, I'm not sure how the slow trickle method is all that wasteful (maybe a gallon of water total) or how it damages the flesh.

Anyway, that's the best way to thaw shrimp.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nothing wrong with it I don't believe. Just slower. And frankly, by the time you get the shrimp home, your 4 hour clock is already ticking. I'll happily buy red meat on its sell-by date and use it a week or two later, but I don't gently caress around with seafood.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The sugar in the grapes keeps them from being too hard when they're frozen. They make for a good hot weather snack.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I will never, ever understand people just tossing the wings in the stock pot like the wing isn't the most delicious treat on the whole bird. Unless you just mean the wing tips or the bones or something.

I assume he means the wing tips. When I buy whole wings, I always cut off the wing tips and freeze them until I have a great big bag. They contain a ton of collagen, and will give a lot of body to your stock.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh, this I know. People always say it as "wings" and it just seemed weird to me. I hope they're just using the tips and not missing out.

I will say though that when I roast a chicken, the wings never make it to the table. That's because as soon as I pull it out of the pan, I pull off the wings and eat them myself. Because dammit I deserve them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know grandmas always used to soak it in milk to remove some of the harsher (iron?) tastes. Not sure if that actually works, but it's what they always seemed to do.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fried gizzards are the bomb. KFC used to sell them. It's a shame they don't anymore.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Technically, you converted the collagen in the bones into gelatin. And congrats on making good stock. Hope the flavor is good as well. It should have a very nice mouthfeel.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mad Wack posted:

I'm sure other goons have better methods but I just leave my rice cooker on "keep warm" and add a little bit of water whenever it seems to be drying out. Keeps about a week that way for me.

Any idea what temp it keeps it at? That sounds hella dangerous, as there are some dangerous pathogens that like to grow in rice.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The pathogen I was thinking of wrt rice was bacillus cereus. The spores can survive cooking, and will germinate and grow at temps under 50 C. So as long as your keep warm setting is above 122f, I think you should be ok?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_cereus

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

^^^ Love pork shoulders, if you've got one decent large chef knife, you cna make tons of pork chops, or cut them really thin and medallion-sized, roll them in egg and then panko, fry, serve on rice with a 2 parts ketchup 1 part worchestire sauce condiment... And you've got a bowl of katsu don! :ninja: (I know there's supposed to be eggs too, but I can't get past cooking the egg that way myself..)
The flavor per pound thing can't be stressed enough. It's harder to gently caress up dark meat, because it's juicier and more forgiving if you happen to voercook or burn it on the grill, etc. :)

Pork chops fabricated from pork shoulder would be awful.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

Not sure if you're using "fabricated" on purpose to be a real rear end in a top hat, or just using the word incorrectly. :crossarms:

Hahahahaha

Do you often call people an rear end in a top hat when you're wrong or something unfamiliar with the meaning of words? Because it's not a good look.

I mean eat whatever the gently caress you want. But cutting up a tough piece of meat into smaller pieces and calling them chops does not make it so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Every review on allrecipes:

"I replaced the pancetta with spam and the eggs with nacho cheese sauce. I'm on a low carb diet, so instead of spaghetti, I slammed my dick in the door. Did not enjoy. 2 stars"