Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Try a cheap stir fry!

1/4 c sided onion
1 clove garlic minced.

Sautee in vegetable oil or sesame oil.

Once carwmelized add fresh green beans, sliced mushrooms (optional), corn or any other vegetable you like. Add a protein and finish with a light dash of soy sauce. Easy, but tasty.

Edit: excuse my awful typing I'm on ny phone.

One of the best ways I have found to make chicken is parboil it (until almost cooked) then pan fry it with vegetables. Other seasonings you can easily use;
Crushed red pepper flakes. A little goes a long way. I use these for flavoring purposes only.

Fuming and paprika. These are especially good for Mexican style cooking.

An above poster mentioned bacon being a waste of money. I would agree unless you are using it as a flavoring agent. I use a slice of Bacon rendered to cook onions and garlic for green beans.

If you enjoy pasta try making a touch with butter and flour, add 1 cup of milk 2.5 oz cream cheeae (approximately 1/3 of an 8 oz package) salt pepper and dried parsley served over pasta and chicken finished with red pepper flakes.

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Try adding a little bit of Curry and Cumin to your rice!

I make the following:

1/2c Diced Onions
1/4c Diced Carrots
1/4c cheap as poo poo Merlot wine ($4 bottles last for months)
1c favorite (cooked) bean (I precook and freeze)
2c White Rice
1/2c precooked cubed chicken
Cumin/Curry/SAlt/Pepper

Soften Vegetables in Oil
Reduce wine in vegetables
Add beans
Add 4c water
Add Chicken
Add Cumin/Curry/SAlt/Pepper
Once water boils, add 2c rice.

Once done, eat.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but one great way to save some cash and still eat healthy is chicken. A lot of times in the store, the bone-on skin-on breasts are some of the cheapest available. It doesn't take a whole lot of skill to remove the bones from the meat. When you remove the bones from the meat, you get two pieces of meat and one bone.

What do you do with these?

Freeze the bones for later use. (Stock, for rice and soups!)

Reserve the tenderloin for later use (or fry it and eat it immediately, that happens sometimes)

Take a very sharp knife and cut the chicken breast in half, lengthwise. This stretches your portions tremendously. Once you get good at this, you can easily get three pieces of chicken per 8 oz chicken breast.

I have some chicken to break down in the fridge, so next time I do it, I can take pictures and post them here. But, when you break down the breast, I find it best to turn it skin side down, and even out the thicker part of the breast just slightly in order to make your slices more even. This also makes achieving three pieces from one breast a LOT easier. This also leaves you with an extra piece of "scrap" meat. Something you can A. Reserve for soup chicken or B. Reserve and bake off on a sheet tray with a little bit of oil (don't forget this part, it keeps your chicken juicy, even if you overcook it),salt and pepper and make chicken salad with!

I usually break down 10-12 whole breasts everytime I do this. Feeding a family of 6, I do a lot of manual labor in my kitchen.

Kafka Esq. posted:

What's the absolute easiest, least time consuming way to make stock?

Chicken Quarters
Mire Poix (Onion Carrot Celery)
Chuck everything in stock pot, put it on the lowest setting.

You can do one of two things here;

Let the water absorb all of the goodness from the chicken and have more nutrients in your stock.
After about 30-40 minutes of simmering, remove all of the chicken from the stock (easiest when you put your chicken on top of the vegetables) and reserve all of the meat for other dishes return bones/unwanted parts. This is especially a great idea if you...
A. Hate loving eating chicken legs/thighs because of all of the ligaments and those drat bones. Problem Solved.
B. Want stock, but don't want to waste all of that money and throw away good meat. Because this meat is awesome.

Other things to consider adding to your stock;
Whole Peppercorns
Parsley stems (or the whole drat thing)
Rosemary
Thyme
Garlic
Bay Leaves

If you have a big enough stock pot, you can start this when you get home from work, and simmer it until you go to bed. Hell, hard boil it, it will finish faster.

Better yet, pressure cooker!

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 4, 2014