Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What's some good poo poo that I can make in bulk and freezes well? My dinners have been nothing but pasta, pulled pork, and beef and I'm really getting sick of all those.

It's a beef recipe, but this classic Hungarian goulash recipe was hard to keep frozen for emergencies because it was so good I really looked forward to eating it.

Edit: Scouse is a bit more bland, but follows the traditional formula for a hearty beef (or lamb) stew. I like its history as a working man's dish.

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

10 Beers posted:

What is the ingredient "bitter" in this recipe?

It's ale. I spent too much time looking into this since I'm American and traditional English bitter is tricky to come by. I think I decided any amber or brown ale that wasn't too hoppy would do. Yuengling would be a cost-effective substitute.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

I need to eat more vegetables. What're everyone's favorite staple vegetable dishes that are easy to make, but you still don't get tired of them? Soups and stews are good, too, though I've completely failed to make broccoli soup in the past.

Roasted carrots is one of my favorite sides. You can follow this recipe's general idea (covering the pan with foil helps them cook through; uncovering it at the end helps them crisp and char). It works well with just about any dried seasoning. Dill or cumin are two of my favorites to use. I usually make a single serving at a time for myself, chopping up three or four carrots and roasting them in the toaster oven. It's great too, because carrots are cheap as gently caress and last a long time in the fridge.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Imbroglio posted:

I go through roughly 200 lb of dried beans in a typical year

Jesus, are you a lumberjack or a longshoreman or something?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
What is Boston gravy?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Any tips to reduce my food budget? I have some unusual parameters.

A. I am living in a small island nation. All food is expensive. Some general info on prices. . . .

Nothing to contribute, just dying to know what country this is

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I tried to make fried polenta from scratch once, and I don't quite remember what I did wrong, but I do remember it spattering violently in my oiled pan and sticking like a motherfucker. Honestly, it was traumatic. What's the best way not to gently caress it up like I did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rationale posted:

how long did you let it sit between cooking and grilling?

It was a few years ago, so I don't quite remember, but I think I let it sit in the fridge for an hour or something