Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«362 »
Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nevermind. The Modem is just being slow reporting them. Its still upstream.

Attached the levels report just in case anyone can see something that looks janky.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Laranzu fucked around with this message at Feb 21, 2018 around 20:53

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ok. Pulled out the powered splitter the Xfinity installation tech was all gung-ho about and it improved SNR and got rid of the thousands of uncorrected errors.

Seems like the splitter was being a bit overzealous with trying to boost the power, but also caused enough SNR issues to make it lose sync.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

Is there a specific type of Cat6 I should get for aerial usage? I assume something UV-resistant.

I've got 2 buildings 10 feet apart with concrete between them so no trenching. So, I guess I'll suspend the cable between them.

Inept posted:

About 6 years ago I worked for a company that wanted to do something similar. We ended up paying someone to run aerial fiber.

If you run cat6 between buildings you actually have to suspend a steel support cable between the two buildings first, and then lash the cat6 to the support cable. This stuff will be fine outdoors for an aerial install. If you want to trench, you want "direct burial" cable.

https://www.discount-low-voltage.co...OLID-OUTDOOR-40

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Laranzu posted:

Ok. Pulled out the powered splitter the Xfinity installation tech was all gung-ho about and it improved SNR and got rid of the thousands of uncorrected errors.

Seems like the splitter was being a bit overzealous with trying to boost the power, but also caused enough SNR issues to make it lose sync.

I haven't had cable for years, for TV or internet, I recall having these issues with signal amplifiers, some instances they helped, other times, they were not needed and in use and caused problems such as this. I don't remember you saying anything about that splitter being on the line in previous posts.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

This might seem like a dumb question, but does anyone know the typical location an installation tech would put a Fiber Media Converter? I had fiber installed at my house and after the install the tech said I had 2 pre-wired Cat6 drops in the house and told me to choose a location to put their router. I chose the downstairs location for no real reason, he hooked their router up, tested speeds and left. I've replaced their router with my own, but am wanting to add an additional AP upstairs as well as some hardwired locations. The second Cat6 drop is in the master bedroom and was wired for telephone originally, I switched out the jack with an RJ45 keystone, but I can't seem to get data on the line at all. Tried both 568a and b configs and neither worked. Seems a normal fiber media converter only allows for 1 Rj45 connection and it's likely the downstairs drop is plugged into it, but the wire for the upstairs drop also goes into the installed interface box on the side of the house too, so I am guessing maybe it's just not connected to anything in there, but does that make sense, would he put the media converter in the same box where the fiber terminates? There is a power lines coming through the wall into my garage to power something there.

My goal is to place my USG and a my 8 port PoE switch in the garage so that both drops get data and then I can setup my AP's and wire new drops in the house based on the upstairs location and a second switch.. Obviously their box is locked with some special star key which I don't have so I need to buy one, but wanted to make sure that made sense before I did that. I guess the only real way to find out is if I open the box though.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

This might seem like a dumb question, but does anyone know the typical location an installation tech would put a Fiber Media Converter? I had fiber installed at my house and after the install the tech said I had 2 pre-wired Cat6 drops in the house and told me to choose a location to put their router. I chose the downstairs location for no real reason, he hooked their router up, tested speeds and left. I've replaced their router with my own, but am wanting to add an additional AP upstairs as well as some hardwired locations. The second Cat6 drop is in the master bedroom and was wired for telephone originally, I switched out the jack with an RJ45 keystone, but I can't seem to get data on the line at all. Tried both 568a and b configs and neither worked. Seems a normal fiber media converter only allows for 1 Rj45 connection and it's likely the downstairs drop is plugged into it, but the wire for the upstairs drop also goes into the installed interface box on the side of the house too, so I am guessing maybe it's just not connected to anything in there, but does that make sense, would he put the media converter in the same box where the fiber terminates? There is a power lines coming through the wall into my garage to power something there.

My goal is to place my USG and a my 8 port PoE switch in the garage so that both drops get data and then I can setup my AP's and wire new drops in the house based on the upstairs location and a second switch.. Obviously their box is locked with some special star key which I don't have so I need to buy one, but wanted to make sure that made sense before I did that. I guess the only real way to find out is if I open the box though.

Who is your fiber provider?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

derk posted:

Who is your fiber provider?

It's a local company called Comporium here in South Carolina it's their "Zipstream" service. I was going to call them and ask, but you're not supposed to mess with the box at all and I don't want to pay someone to come out and switch out a couple cables for me.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

It's a local company called Comporium here in South Carolina it's their "Zipstream" service. I was going to call them and ask, but you're not supposed to mess with the box at all and I don't want to pay someone to come out and switch out a couple cables for me.

well, pictures of the box and what not would help, i am asuming it will be just like my FiOS box that i have opened and tinkered with

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

derk posted:

well, pictures of the box and what not would help, i am asuming it will be just like my FiOS box that i have opened and tinkered with

Yeah, I'll have to swing by lowes and grab a star key set to open it up. Hopefully it's just not hooked up, if it is then the line is probably cut somewhere in the wall which would suck.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

Ubiquiti never ceases to amaze. I spent days trying to get Unifi properly installed assuming I'd need 3-4 APs to cover the whole house, but a single AP did the job. The entire house has 50/50 from the basement, first floor, second floor, to the garage, front porch, back yard, the the front lawn, back lawn, all the way 100 meters to the cul de sac's mail box.

I figured I'd need 3-4 to handle the house alone. Things certainly have changed. Looks like I don't need the 2nd AP or the Cloud Key since Unifi wouldn't adopt the AP... the iOS app was sufficient to get it up and running. I'll set up the Edge Router and they'll be all set (after I call Frontier to get the Ethernet WAN enabled)

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

If you tried to use the phone app to set up the AP first, the Unifi controller won't be able to adopt the AP without a factory reset. I made that mistake with mine the first time trying setup. After I reset the AP and used the controller to adopt it, everything went smoothly.

Use the Cloud Key controller, it's worth it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

derk posted:

Got the tamper-proof star key to open the box this morning and it's very much like a FiOS setup. There were two ethernet ports on the media converter in the box and the line for my upstairs drop wasn't connected to anything, nor did it have an rj45 connector on it, so I wired it up and plugged it in. Signal passed over the line to my PC upstairs now, but apparently I am only allowed 1 lease so I had to unplug the connector in the first port for my PC to acquire an IP. So looks like I'll be moving some things around today. Oddly, in the two months I've had the service this is the first time I've connected it to something (my pc) that can actually utilize the gigabit speeds, there is something satisfying about a speedtest showing 950/935 mbps even if 90% of the servers I download things from can't reach that type of speed for a single user.

«362 »