Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«399 »
CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CopperHound posted:

That 600Mbps speed was a direct test between two computers on the lan. It was 8-10 years ago on the only consumer grade gigabit router I was able to find at the time. I think it was a d-link. Can we get past this hangup now? I don't need a backplane that can handle full speed on every port at once.

no no we need to drill deeper and discuss the merits of SoC switch-chip based routing vs discreet interfaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Here I post;
I can do no other.

CrazyLittle posted:

discreet interfaces

i got a discreet port for ya right heah buddy *points to networking closet*

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Mommy told me to never take uplinks from strangers

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oven Wrangler

The Home Networking Megathread - Network Admins Gone Wild!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I just ordered a used Actiontec C2000A for $35. Hopefully I can make it handle any sort of dsl the ISP tries serving up even if I decide upgrade to a bonded line.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002
I LOVE THE WHITE STRIPES!

fair warning, those Actiontecs absolutely suck. I suggest getting another router and putting that POS in bridge mode.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT MY MICRO PENIS

I'm using a spare Dell alienware computer as a media server of sorts. It's using built in wifi which isnt ideal and slow as poo poo maxing out at about 10 MB/s. But wiring it will require running cable under carpet so I just bought a TP link Archer T4U usb adapter because it was $15 at the time and should be fast enough for what I need. All I really do is use Servio and network share a few drives and folders.

However I cannot access network shared drives and folders at all with the stupid thing. Servio and everything else seems just fine. I can ping the computer but I cannot map the drives or directly access them. This is driving me nuts, I have a feeling I'm missing some very basic thing here, does anybody know how I'm messing this up? There is nothing I can see setting wise thats off or wrong

All machines are running Windows 10

edit: Woops I did finally find a sign or symptom of something wrong, if I run the automatic network diagnosis after I fail to connect to a network share I get the message "file and print sharing resource (alien) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts."

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at Oct 14, 2018 around 02:38

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

redeyes posted:

fair warning, those Actiontecs absolutely suck. I suggest getting another router and putting that POS in bridge mode.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll buy a non-poo poo router if I can get it to sync with my ISP. I just couldn't find a modem only device that claimed to support PTM.

Grump
Jun 18, 2012

surprise, dad. while you were witnessing the pennsylvania state lottery i tried on all your work gloves and they looked very handsome on me

Where is the most ideal place to put an Access Point in a 900 sq ft, 2 floor row home?

Iím assuming at the top of the staircase so it can hit the second floor well along with everything the floor below?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless You Ants, Blants

Fun Shoe

Don't try and pull tricks with a single AP to give you mediocre coverage in every room. Focus on where you want Wi-Fi, put the AP in a position to cover that area. If there's places without coverage then add a second to fill in the gap. If your deployment is planning to put at least one wall and/or a floor between the AP and the client then you're going to more or less ensure everything runs at 2.4GHz and be limited to 802.11n speeds.

«399 »