Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I couldn't get PFsense to connect either, I reloaded opnsense and finally got the logging to show up. This looks like where my problem is:

code:
2019-07-03T13:00:31	ppp: [wan] IFACE: Removing IPv4 address from pppoe0 failed: Can't assign requested address
2019-07-03T13:00:31	ppp: [wan] IPCP: LayerDown
2019-07-03T13:00:31	ppp: [wan] IPCP: SendTerminateReq #4
2019-07-03T13:00:31	ppp: [wan] IPCP: state change Opened --> Stopping
2019-07-03T13:00:31	ppp: [wan] IPCP: parameter negotiation failed
2019-07-03T13:00:31	ppp: [wan] IFACE: IfaceChangeAddr() error, closing IPCP
2019-07-03T13:00:31	ppp: [wan] IFACE: Adding IPv4 address to pppoe0 failed: Destination address required
2019-07-03T13:00:31	ppp: [wan]  <<redacted>> -> 0.0.0.0
So for some reason its like my ISP gives me an IP address then opnsense can't assign it to the interface.

I had pfsense working in a VM once. All my other routers have worked just after putting in the login and password. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
It seems that qnap is going to sell a AX200 half size PCIe card, part code is QXP-W6-AX200, i've found it in the latest QTS firmware update. So if you don't want to try random aliexpress stores, you might have a easier to get option in a few weeks. Price unknown.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

ronya posted:

I'm not a networking person, so newbie question.

I've got this topology:

(I've got reinforced concrete walls, APs are cheap, don't look at me like that)

At apparently random (maybe a couple times a week), the desktop (connected to AP#2 via cable) loses its connection to the Internet. Pinging the fibre router times out, pinging anything on the internet times out, but it can ping AP#1 and all other machines in the home network. It can also reach AP#2. From the command console in AP#2, AP#2 can ping the fibre router. Whilst this is ongoing, the devices connected to AP#2 via wifi are fine and can reach the fibre router and the internet. I've checked that they're not silently switching to one of the others - they are really only connected to AP#2.

This lasts for maybe ten minutes, then everything is fine again. If I reboot AP#2 it is fine as soon as it comes back up.

What the hell is going on, what kind of logging should I even try to gather to find out

Update: it started happening to more computers on the network (able to ping AP #1, not able to ping the router). My current guess is the unmanaged switch (a Netgear GS308) crapping out.

I'll swap it out and see.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else recently discovered Parsec? This is amazing technology! Miles better than Chrome Remote Desktop for connecting to my local VMs.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Trying it out now, looks interesting.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Smashing Link posted:

Has anyone else recently discovered Parsec? This is amazing technology! Miles better than Chrome Remote Desktop for connecting to my local VMs.

I did but couldn't get it to work... have a feeling it may be a firewall issue at my office.

is it any better than windows remote desktop? i've often heard that everything sort of runs off RD as a base so it will naturally be slower. My office is CAD/BIM focused and anything that will give us a better experience would be worth an investment!

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It is supposed to be more optimized for gaming. To my eye it does seem a lot smoother than RDP. I'm not sure if they are layering some encoding on top of RDP that accounts for the difference. They do mention CAD as one application on their website so could be worth checking if you can solve the firewall issues. I am planning to access my LAN from outside using Wireguard.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

As an update to my situation, some combination of tweaking transmit powers, going to VHT40 channels at 36, 149 and 151 seemed to help out. I’m sure time and devices power cycling also helped out.

There are some areas now that the UniFis can’t quite hit that the Orbi could but the remote management / better VPN capability to remotely fix my folks’ stuff was worth it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Smashing Link posted:

It is supposed to be more optimized for gaming. To my eye it does seem a lot smoother than RDP. I'm not sure if they are layering some encoding on top of RDP that accounts for the difference. They do mention CAD as one application on their website so could be worth checking if you can solve the firewall issues. I am planning to access my LAN from outside using Wireguard.

If it's optimized for gaming then it sounds like it does streaming capture and crunching the video down vs rdp which attempts to be very smart around rendering of 2d windows. For 2d rdp can (or should, this is 2020) transmit commands/instructions around what to do with various windows which are then rendered client side. That is going to be the fastest response around. I don't believe rdp handles video streaming all that well, which is what the 3d parts come over as.

CAD software is very likely a 3d rendered window inside the base 2d stuff like your tools buttons and menu bars. Back in the day this was easy to test for using a screenshot program which couldn't grab d3d/opengl windows. If it was all green or black it was 3d rendering, and anything that wasn't would be 3d rendered.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Parsec/etc act as a giant video stream. RDP handles video fine if it's extremely low latency and high bandwidth, but doesn't seem to compress all that much. They are intended for two completely different use cases.

Also: this is a D3D game - top is RDP, bottom is Parsec on the highest quality it can do - notice the hand/glove sharp lines completely disappear into a mess on the bottom:

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
That is interesting. I am more of a Mac guy, trying to move into the Linux/VM realm, so not as familiar with RDP. Parsec does seem amazingly fast to me however.

Smashing Link fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 6, 2020

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I'm moving into this apartment:

There's a built-in modem in the wardrobe at A, and Ethernet sockets in the walls connecting A and B.

Does it make sense to put an AC750 router at A and an AC750 access point at B using the wall sockets? This would hopefully avoid transmitting through the glass and tile in the middle walls.

Should I just cough up the extra 20 bucks for a single Archer C7 at A instead? My thinking was that the internet connection caps out at 25mbps anyway, but I'm not sure if that makes sense.

is that good fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 6, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Looks like 500sqft/50 sq-m? I would go with 1 ap. That's small enough that even the shittiest thing should work assuming the noise isn't nuts. I would try to go 5ghz only. 2.4 is likely crowded out completely.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Yeah it is; that seems reasonable, thanks for your help!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Zyxel sells direct on amazon, if you want powerline sold by amazon you need to get tplink units

Currently using the TPLink on some really gnarly late 60s apt wiring and while i'm not getting the 1gb suggested speeds I am getting consistent 150/150mbit which is good enough 99% of my use case. I highly doubt i'm going to get anything close to my fios speeds from content providers such as ps4 (lol) or netflix.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

incoherent posted:

Currently using the TPLink on some really gnarly late 60s apt wiring and while i'm not getting the 1gb suggested speeds I am getting consistent 150/150mbit which is good enough 99% of my use case. I highly doubt i'm going to get anything close to my fios speeds from content providers such as ps4 (lol) or netflix.

The speed rating on those is more bullshit than wifi. But in the right conditions they are worth trying as they can be good solutions, but again, in very specific situations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Smashing Link posted:

That is interesting. I am more of a Mac guy, trying to move into the Linux/VM realm, so not as familiar with RDP. Parsec does seem amazingly fast to me however.

Something amusing is that if you play multiplayer (think MMO) games, Parsec, Teamviewer, etc will all generally be blocked by anticheat systems for attempting to inject keystrokes into the stream. They either render as a black window (uncapturable), no sound, and you can't type or click or do anything into them. Some anticheats kill any form of remote service. RDP is usually excluded from all of this.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

incoherent posted:

Err powerline is super sensitive on wiring quality so you could run any brand you like but it's going to be poo poo if the wiring isn't up to spec. It's never going to be exactly as fast as promised even with perfect wiring but i've found tplinks av1200 to be decent, never tested faster av2000 units.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Hello experts. I am looking for an upgrade to my home network. I currently (like many folks I have seen posting here) am running an R7000 with a spotty history. Right now it is actually running quite well, but I can't seem to take a firmware update without all hell breaking loose or some nasty new bugs showing up. In addition, the range is just not good enough for my home and the simple wireless repeater I was using has decided to instead just fight with the router at all times, so I had to get rid of it. I have one connection heavy area of my home where the cable modem comes in and a number of wired connections are in place for various home automation hubs and game consoles, including a USB drive connected to the router for some basic network storage. Only two folks are living here, but both working full time from home and almost completely wireless.

It appears that a mesh wireless network + network switch for my wired stuff might be the best for me. I assume it is worth paying a little extra for WiFi 6 as a few devices I have support it now and most things will be supporting it in the future. The prices on these devices seem to vary wildly and I have already seen plenty of reviews of Netgear's stuff continuing to have flaky firmware. Any advice?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Lifespan posted:

Hello experts. I am looking for an upgrade to my home network. I currently (like many folks I have seen posting here) am running an R7000 with a spotty history. Right now it is actually running quite well, but I can't seem to take a firmware update without all hell breaking loose or some nasty new bugs showing up. In addition, the range is just not good enough for my home and the simple wireless repeater I was using has decided to instead just fight with the router at all times, so I had to get rid of it. I have one connection heavy area of my home where the cable modem comes in and a number of wired connections are in place for various home automation hubs and game consoles, including a USB drive connected to the router for some basic network storage. Only two folks are living here, but both working full time from home and almost completely wireless.

It appears that a mesh wireless network + network switch for my wired stuff might be the best for me. I assume it is worth paying a little extra for WiFi 6 as a few devices I have support it now and most things will be supporting it in the future. The prices on these devices seem to vary wildly and I have already seen plenty of reviews of Netgear's stuff continuing to have flaky firmware. Any advice?

WiFi 6 isn’t even fully ratified. Everything on the market is beta hardware. Not worth the price right now.

I like the Orbi’s. I have an RBR50 and two satellites. Never given me any trouble in the last couple years. My hardwire stuff is ubiquiti.

Don’t use mesh unless you have no way to do wired backhaul to your access points. If you must do Mesh, prefer one with a dedicated wireless backhaul like Orbi over Eero/Nest WiFi. It’s faster and less flakey in my experience.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Interesting, I thought WiFi 6 was signed off late last year and the stuff coming out now was final. Mesh isn't a must and while I could physically run cable, it's just not something I really care to do unless I have to. Most of the important/high bandwidth stuff is in my one location that is mostly wired anyway, this is more about getting better range/coverage. The stuff that is further from my router today is mostly low bandwidth devices like home automation equipment, I just figured I might get a speed boost and improved coverage with mesh. Should I just go back to finding some sort of repeater and wait for the "next gen" stuff to come around?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
What kind of home automation? Virtually all of it I've seen is Zwave or Zigbee, not Wifi. (I also don't see a doorbell needing more bandwidth)

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
It's mostly Zwave, but there is a Ring doorbell and some cameras. Nothing bandwidth intensive, but my range is the problem. I got by with the repeater for a couple of years before it decided to go all HAL over my wireless network.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Lifespan posted:

Interesting, I thought WiFi 6 was signed off late last year and the stuff coming out now was final. Mesh isn't a must and while I could physically run cable, it's just not something I really care to do unless I have to. Most of the important/high bandwidth stuff is in my one location that is mostly wired anyway, this is more about getting better range/coverage. The stuff that is further from my router today is mostly low bandwidth devices like home automation equipment, I just figured I might get a speed boost and improved coverage with mesh. Should I just go back to finding some sort of repeater and wait for the "next gen" stuff to come around?

If that’s the case, get the RBR50 2-pack from Netgear. One router, one satellite. It’ll cover well over 2500 sqft with high signal.

I use one of those in my house, plus another satellite, and we can sustain ~45-50mb/s transfers for large files.

If you don’t care about speed, then Eero or Nest WiFi is probably cheaper.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm happy with my power line adaptors (tplink) but I thought they were basically rendered obsolete by modern wifi, assuming you have a decent wifi situation.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I'm not convinced I have great wiring in my house. Someone wired it for a generator at some point (I'm in a semi rural area, so it's actually a good thing), but the inside of the panel is a loving mess and I know what circuits it would have to jump across to get to certain rooms and I doubt it would hold up well.

I'll take a look at the RBK. I think they might actually have them pretty cheap at Costco right now (I ignored it because I was looking at the WiFi 6 stuff). I might just jump on the 3 pack so I can get better coverage around the outside of the house too. Thanks!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
How's Xfinity gigabit? What modem would I want to get with it?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

How's Xfinity gigabit? What modem would I want to get with it?

I run an Amazon open box SB8200, delivers handily for 1000/35 with Xfinity. No issues.

I miss my old 1000/1000 WaveG connection but it’ll be years until anything changes for us CATV peasants, I’m sure. Hope I’m wrong, but decades ago we made the choice for limited upstream bandwidth because it made sense, and now we get to try fight our way to the Shannon limit with wired LTE.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Seconding the SB8200. For a glorious few minutes, I was accidentally provisioned at 1000/35, and then the tech caught their mistake and brought me back down to what I was paying for.

Down on the Nighthawk CM1200, because it's huge and takes up way too much space and doesn't handle allocating addresses through DHCP when they disconnect and reconnect gracefully like the SB8200, something I found out when repeatedly restarting devices to lock in config changes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

movax posted:

I run an Amazon open box SB8200, delivers handily for 1000/35 with Xfinity. No issues.

I miss my old 1000/1000 WaveG connection but it’ll be years until anything changes for us CATV peasants, I’m sure. Hope I’m wrong, but decades ago we made the choice for limited upstream bandwidth because it made sense, and now we get to try fight our way to the Shannon limit with wired LTE.

How's Comcast fiber? They have strung it up around here. It was sitting spooled up for a long time but now it's wired I think. Maybe you'll be able to get that someday soon. Are you still in the Seattle area?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Now that I am hearing you guys have Comcast fiber in the PNW, how much does it cost? I am "semi-rural" outside of Seattle and pay an insane $150/month for 300/15 with unlimited data and am none too happy. It functions and I need it to make a living, but the price is insane for what I get.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Lifespan posted:

Now that I am hearing you guys have Comcast fiber in the PNW, how much does it cost? I am "semi-rural" outside of Seattle and pay an insane $150/month for 300/15 with unlimited data and am none too happy. It functions and I need it to make a living, but the price is insane for what I get.

Is this a separate product from the 2000/2000 Comcast Fiber that's 2-5 year contract only?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lifespan posted:

I typed in my neighbor's address and it said you're already a customer, do you want to sign in? Seems like maybe a security flaw to give that info away? Anyway I'm suspicious I will get junk mail fliers if I type mine in, haha.

For gigabit it's $85/mo with a 1-year agreement or $100/mo without it.

2 gigabit is $300/mo, no contract.

I have CenturyLink fiber Gigabit for $65/mo, probably with some weird contract that I'll never change my services at all or something like that.

I do miss my WaveG. While it was still CondoInternet at least, it was nice.

Biowarfare posted:

Is this a separate product from the 2000/2000 Comcast Fiber that's 2-5 year contract only?

Yup see above. They only strung up the fiber within the past 2 years here and I'm in Seattle itself.

edit: Comcast only states download speeds. They still have a 1.2TB cap also. I'm suspicious

edit 2: The chat rep says the upload is only 35mbs. Lame!!! I know there is fiber on poles nearby.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 7, 2020

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
2 weeks ago I purchased an Asus CM-32 AC2600 cable modem/router to replace my Comcast Gateway and ASUS RT-N66U router to finally stop paying Comcast to rent their gear.

So far I have been very happy with it, but I’ve discovered a debilitating issue that I haven’t been able to figure out. When I run my BitTorrent client (qBittorrent), my internet connection starts acting weird. I’ll try and be as descriptive as possible with what’s happening, and this never happened with my old setup with the Comcast Gateway and ASUS RT-N66U router.

I have about 350mbps down and 11mbps up (always been like that with Comcast) with 15ms latency. (https://imgur.com/3MQR5r4) The Asus CM-32 AC2600 will run between 20% and 50% CPU usage after a restart. (https://imgur.com/bTxL1e9) I’m also linking the general system log when everything seems to be working normally in case that helps. (https://pastebin.com/Ht418LbL)

The problem is when I lunch qBittorrent, core 1 on the CPU in the router/modem goes right up to 100% (https://imgur.com/GxfMoKi) and my internet connection becomes extremely sluggish. It’s very slow. If I try playing a youtube video, automatically play at 240p or 480p, but when I run a speed test, it will show I’m getting very similar results to what I would expect, but it would also take a long time to just load the speed test (sometimes over a minute when it would take only a second before). And I don’t believe this is because it’s saturating my internet connection because qBittorrent is only showing (in this case) 18Kib/s down and 373Kib/s up. Truth is I can pause all transfers and it will act like this until I close the program. (https://imgur.com/3ek0ox9)

Once I close qBittorrent, usually everything goes back to normal in a few seconds, but once in awhile, I have to restart my Asus CM-32 AC2600. And when qBittorrent is running, I have a hard time accessing my Asus CM-32 AC2600 from the browser. It will load the background, but nothing else, and as soon as I close qBittorrent, it pops up right away. General system logs from after I have ran and closed qBittorrent (https://pastebin.com/EeavrXRc)

I haven’t been able to figure out what’s going on. I have never had this issue with my old setup, so I’m inclined to think its some setting in the Asus CM-32 AC2600. Maybe some kind of connection or packet monitor that I can disable? Would disabling the firewall built into it help or would that not advantageous?

It seems to be (just an educated guess) that the Asus CM-32 AC2600 seems to be bottlenecking my connection for some reason.

(I hope that all made sense)

As I said, I’m at a loss. I figured I would ask the goonmind before I try Asus support. Any help or ideas? Halp!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

IndianaZoidberg posted:

The problem is when I lunch qBittorrent, core 1 on the CPU in the router/modem goes right up to 100% (https://imgur.com/GxfMoKi) and my internet connection becomes extremely sluggish. It’s very slow. If I try playing a youtube video, automatically play at 240p or 480p, but when I run a speed test, it will show I’m getting very similar results to what I would expect, but it would also take a long time to just load the speed test (sometimes over a minute when it would take only a second before). And I don’t believe this is because it’s saturating my internet connection because qBittorrent is only showing (in this case) 18Kib/s down and 373Kib/s up. Truth is I can pause all transfers and it will act like this until I close the program. (https://imgur.com/3ek0ox9)

Once I close qBittorrent, usually everything goes back to normal in a few seconds, but once in awhile, I have to restart my Asus CM-32 AC2600. And when qBittorrent is running, I have a hard time accessing my Asus CM-32 AC2600 from the browser. It will load the background, but nothing else, and as soon as I close qBittorrent, it pops up right away. General system logs from after I have ran and closed qBittorrent (https://pastebin.com/EeavrXRc)

qbittorrent is using too many connections, lower that number.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

SlowBloke posted:

qbittorrent is using too many connections, lower that number.

Ugh, :doh: yeah, that definitely helped. I had it set at 999 connections "global maximum number of connections" and 999 for "maximum number of connections per torrent". Lowered it to 200 for both, no difference. Lowered it again to 5 for both and it's working better. Of course, now I think that's not enough to download anything.

Keep in mind, even having 999 set for the max connections never gave me a signal issue with my old setup

Also, core 1 on my router/modem is still being pegged at 100%...?

Edit:

Found a happy balance that makes everything work. Still don't know why this was never an issue with my old setup. And that core is still maxed out. Oh well, good for now

IndianaZoidberg fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 7, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Still don't know why this was never an issue with my old setup.

The asus router is likely doing routing using software while the older setup had some hardware assist. Most consumer routers rely on CPU bruteforce to do their work and lots of connections will overload them.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Charles posted:

For gigabit it's $85/mo with a 1-year agreement or $100/mo without it.

2 gigabit is $300/mo, no contract.

I have CenturyLink fiber Gigabit for $65/mo, probably with some weird contract that I'll never change my services at all or something like that.

drat. I am currently paying $70/mo for "Performance Pro" (I think that is 150mb) + $30 more for "Blast Pro Upgrade" (brings it up to 300) + $50 to get rid of the 1TB cab (I averaged 2TB before the shutdown and am closer to 4.5TB now). But now that I am looking at Comcast's page, it seems they are offering me Gigabit for the same price, so I have some phone calls to make. The only other option in my neighborhood is Frontier DSL which offers 30/5 for $30/mo or something.

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 7, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

IndianaZoidberg posted:

2 weeks ago I purchased an Asus CM-32 AC2600 cable modem/router to replace my Comcast Gateway and ASUS RT-N66U router to finally stop paying Comcast to rent their gear.

Strongly recommend against ever buying hybrid modem/routers in general.

That said, did you already check for a firmware update? Have you configured QoS? What's your setting for LAN -> Switch Control -> NAT Acceleration (if it exists on that model)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Oh my god, Comcast is so loving crooked. I just went through their user flow and got 3x the speed and saved $30/mo. Why notify your long time, never missed a payment in a decade, valued customers about improvements in service when you can continue to overcharge them for service packages you don't even offer anymore?