Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

astral posted:

Strongly recommend against ever buying hybrid modem/routers in general.

That said, did you already check for a firmware update? Have you configured QoS? What's your setting for LAN -> Switch Control -> NAT Acceleration (if it exists on that model)?

I bought it before I even thought to look and see if SA had a network thread. I know, I'm a bad goon.

I bought this one because it seemed to be decent from what I read, and I've been using Asus gear for almost 10 years now and have always had good luck with it.

The firmware isn't something I can update on my own. There's no option to manually check for an update or flash it after its been downloaded from the manufacture. Not even mentioned in the manual. I'm guessing its because its a Comcast approved modem and they REALLY don't want to loving around with it.

I haven't configured QoS. Its off right now.

I don't know about "NAT Acceleration", but it does have "NAT Passthrough". Haven't changed any settings in that...since I didn't know what it was or that it existed until just now. (https://imgur.com/yCk1IO6)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Lifespan posted:

Oh my god, Comcast is so loving crooked. I just went through their user flow and got 3x the speed and saved $30/mo. Why notify your long time, never missed a payment in a decade, valued customers about improvements in service when you can continue to overcharge them for service packages you don't even offer anymore?

This is the new normal, it just happens to be in the cable\fios industry. Try it out on your car insurance some time.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

incoherent posted:

This is the new normal, it just happens to be in the cable\fios industry. Try it out on your car insurance some time.

Now you just gave me something else to look at this afternoon...

Also, I just bought the Netgear Orbi AX4200. Either I am a sucker and payed an extra $150 over the AX3000 for fake WiFi6 or the faster wireless backhaul will pay off.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Lifespan posted:

Now you just gave me something else to look at this afternoon...

Also, I just bought the Netgear Orbi AX4200. Either I am a sucker and payed an extra $150 over the AX3000 for fake WiFi6 or the faster wireless backhaul will pay off.

Practically speaking, probably won’t matter that much. A bigger part of WiFi 6 is some of the efficiencies around devices using less power. A nice boon either way.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Lifespan posted:

Oh my god, Comcast is so loving crooked. I just went through their user flow and got 3x the speed and saved $30/mo. Why notify your long time, never missed a payment in a decade, valued customers about improvements in service when you can continue to overcharge them for service packages you don't even offer anymore?

Its the telecom way.

They all do it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lifespan posted:

Laughs in Billionaire 😂

Also nothing new about this practice.

Edit: Asus routers are generally good, but dont know anything about a combo modem.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

incoherent posted:

For real, my 6 month premium went down about $65 when I called and updated how long I have owned my car.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

IndianaZoidberg posted:

I bought it before I even thought to look and see if SA had a network thread. I know, I'm a bad goon.

The best part is you had posted in this thread before!

quote:

I bought this one because it seemed to be decent from what I read, and I've been using Asus gear for almost 10 years now and have always had good luck with it.

The firmware isn't something I can update on my own. There's no option to manually check for an update or flash it after its been downloaded from the manufacture. Not even mentioned in the manual. I'm guessing its because its a Comcast approved modem and they REALLY don't want to loving around with it.

This is one of the reasons to be against hybrid units. If a cable company can lock you out of updating the firmware, you're going to end up being vulnerable to a lot of junk before they get around to testing and deploying an update - if they do it at all.

quote:

I haven't configured QoS. Its off right now.

Might be worth configuring on at least the upload side of things.

quote:

I don't know about "NAT Acceleration", but it does have "NAT Passthrough". Haven't changed any settings in that...since I didn't know what it was or that it existed until just now. (https://imgur.com/yCk1IO6)

NAT Passthrough is for certain types of VPNs so that wouldn't be relevant here. NAT Acceleration is an option you would have found if the router had the ability to hardware accelerate NAT, and had the option existed I would've suggested toggling it to see if things got better or worse.

---

edit:

phosdex posted:

For real, my 6 month premium went down about $65 when I called and updated how long I have owned my car.

:psyduck: Is your insurance storing it as "owned car for X years" and not "bought current car in year X from which we can calculate ownership years"?!

astral fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 7, 2020

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Just had another interesting Comcast discussion. I pay $50 to get rid of my data cap. I was told they would waive my data cap completely if I rented a modem from them for $25. I guess I can continue to use my own modem and just keep theirs in the box, but what is their angle with that?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Lifespan posted:

Just had another interesting Comcast discussion. I pay $50 to get rid of my data cap. I was told they would waive my data cap completely if I rented a modem from them for $25. I guess I can continue to use my own modem and just keep theirs in the box, but what is their angle with that?

Probably data collection.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Lifespan posted:

https://billfixers.com/blog/comcast-is-charging-some-customers-35-to-own-their-own-modem

quote:

The huge disconnect in that pricing means customers who have already gone out and purchased perfectly good modems now have to rent a completely superfluous modem they don’t want. The alternative is to spend an extra $35 a month extra just to use their own modem. This is something we’re now hearing about from Comcast customers who aren’t sure what to do. On top of that, there are considerable downsides to renting a modem.

Comcast uses rental routers as public Wi-Fi hotspots. They were sued for it in 2014, but have only accelerated. It’s now a hugely advertised feature of their wireless offering, Xfinity Mobile. One analysis found that hosting their “free” Xfinity hotspot could actually cost consumers $22.80 in electricity. The cost isn’t the only downside.

A bug last year found that a user connected to a Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspot could access private user data. Connecting to an Xfinity Hotspot gave you access to the Wi-Fi network name and password for the device in plain text. It also revealed the full account service address. That’s a serious security flaw that put every rental customer at risk. Meanwhile, customers who owned their own modems were safe. That kind of issue is part of the reason customers have a right to own their own modem.

The FCC regulations state that “no multichannel video programming distributor shall prevent the connection or use of navigation devices to or with its multichannel video programming system,” except in cases where the device would harm the provider’s system. In 2016, the FCC ruled that the provision specifically covered a right to customer-owned cable modems. Under Comcast’s new offer, technically you’re not prevented from owning your own modem. In practice, though, it essentially comes with a $35 penalty.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I run my Unifi controller software in a jail on my freenas box. I updated the Unifi software using pkg update / pkg upgrade, no issues seemed to pop up. Config stayed so no problems there. However, I can't access the settings anymore. When I click the settings gear icon, a popup that says "Unable to change pages. That page does not exist" pops up.

Any ideas? Literally everything else seems like it is working fine.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you tried a private browser tab? You might have some cached JavaScript.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

That's hosed up. That said, I don't think me getting their modem means I have to use it as my current one is perfectly good. Might just throw it in a closet for $25/mo savings.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Have you tried a private browser tab? You might have some cached JavaScript.

I’ll give that a shot. Thanks!

E: same deal. This is pretty strange.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 7, 2020

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Lifespan posted:

That's hosed up. That said, I don't think me getting their modem means I have to use it as my current one is perfectly good. Might just throw it in a closet for $25/mo savings.

So you can pay $50/mo more for no data cap or $25/mo more for their modem and no data cap?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I am curious if they will enforce your use of their modem (because it phones home, runs their firmware, and is remote-controlled, wifi password set remotely etc too) and surcharge you heavily if you rent it and toss it in the closet.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Biowarfare posted:

I am curious if they will enforce your use of their modem (because it phones home, runs their firmware, and is remote-controlled, wifi password set remotely etc too) and surcharge you heavily if you rent it and toss it in the closet.

I purchased my own modem (Netgear CM1000) and it also phones home and Comcast manages the firmware/config on it. Better than having my wifi rented out by them but still not great.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

So you can pay $50/mo more for no data cap or $25/mo more for their modem and no data cap?

Yeah. Odd right?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Lifespan posted:

They might provision it as your modem and force you to use it, but worth a shot.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lifespan posted:

I suspect you may have also lost some upload in the process, Comcast has been real diligent about changing their plans to give you more downstream bandwidth at the cost of upstream.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I suspect you may have also lost some upload in the process, Comcast has been real diligent about changing their plans to give you more downstream bandwidth at the cost of upstream.

I was only at 300/15. The new plan is supposed to be 1000/35, but so far I have only gotten 350/12 in actual tests, so I'll wait until a lower traffic time and see if it improves.

Got my Orbi setup and am very surprised with how easy it was. My work PC was previously only able to get about 80 down, but now I am getting it full speed and all of my home automation stuff is back online.

Hopefully last question, I'm used to living in a world where I have seperate SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Is that still the best practice? Looking at Netgear's support, it has been removed from any UI so I would need to telnet in to the router and manually set it up. Not sure if it is worth it.

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 8, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Back in January I cut cable TV and Comcast set me up with Performance internet (100mb/s) for $40/month, since then I had them send me a Flex (streaming box) and added HBO, so all told I was paying $65/mo.

Today they called me and offered to upgrade me to Blast (200mb/s) for one dollar more per month, and extend the contract until next July. I said yes. The rep mentioned she was impressed with my modem, which is a personal modem and several years old.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Lifespan posted:

I was only at 300/15. The new plan is supposed to be 1000/35, but so far I have only gotten 350/12 in actual tests, so I'll wait until a lower traffic time and see if it improves.

What modem?

quote:

Hopefully last question, I'm used to living in a world where I have seperate SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Is that still the best practice? Looking at Netgear's support, it has been removed from any UI so I would need to telnet in to the router and manually set it up. Not sure if it is worth it.

Do whatever works best for you. I keep 2.4GHz and 5GHz on the same SSID and don't have issues with things sticking to bands they shouldn't.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

astral posted:

What modem?

Netgear CM800. Supports DOCSYS 3.0, but I know I have some line boosters/filters between my home and the pole.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Lifespan posted:

Netgear CM800. Supports DOCSYS 3.0, but I know I have some line boosters/filters between my home and the pole.

You will most likely want a DOCSIS 3.1 modem for gigabit cable.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

astral posted:

You will most likely want a DOCSIS 3.1 modem for gigabit cable.

This makes me tempted to get the Comcast Super Spy Mode modem to test if it makes things faster... and swap it out for new purchase if it does.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

IndianaZoidberg posted:

https://www.asus.com/Microsite/2015/networks/routerfirmware_update/

Firmware upgrade is started from the router GUI, asus doesn't keep files on their site anymore.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

SlowBloke posted:

https://www.asus.com/Microsite/2015/networks/routerfirmware_update/

Firmware upgrade is started from the router GUI, asus doesn't keep files on their site anymore.

Yes, and my old Asus router worked exactly like that, but this Asus modem/router I'm using right now doesn't have an option to update or even a ability to manually check the firmware. It just says what the current version is and that's it. I assume its Comcast not wanting you to be able to do anything without there approval. (e.g: Samsung and Android)

nerox
May 20, 2001
Anyone got a recommendation for a very small UPS for a Synology 2 bay that has the capability of shutting down the Synology when the battery gets low? The cheaper the better.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

nerox posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a very small UPS for a Synology 2 bay that has the capability of shutting down the Synology when the battery gets low? The cheaper the better.

A deciding factor is whether you get brownouts or not? That circuitry is a little bit more expensive.

Something like this: ~$40

CyberPower EC450G Ecologic UPS System, 450VA/260W, 8 Outlets, ECO Mode, Compact https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SKX6YWS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_J-DbFb30M7M1S

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 8, 2020

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Any recommendations for a good, 3-5 port managed switch? L2 is fine, so long as it supports 802.1q. Basically I want to relocate my ESXI box as well as my Home Assistant hub, but I'm not keen on trying to run another drop upstairs.

Thanks in advance!

nerox posted:

I've got one of these Cyberpower UPS units and they do exactly that with my Synology. When the power shuts down, it automagically sends a signal over USB and gracefully powers down the unit so it doesn't drain the battery. Plus it runs all my other rack equipment for several hours keeping me online and the wifi up during a power outage. Highly recommend!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Any recommendations for a good, 3-5 port managed switch? L2 is fine, so long as it supports 802.1q. Basically I want to relocate my ESXI box as well as my Home Assistant hub, but I'm not keen on trying to run another drop upstairs.

Thanks in advance!

:words:

I like my Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch XP: https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgeswitch-10xp/

It was really easy to setup and I've got 4 of the ports setup as LACP with my NAS. Also using the SFP port to connect to my EdgeRouter 4 to free up another one of the Ethernet ports so that I can use all 8 for connected appliances.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I have the same with my setup, with the addition of running another coax line from the outside powered Comcast splitter to the rack for the power injector. Thankfully I’ve never had to test any of this, our power in this area is extremely stable.....in the ten years we’ve lived in this neighborhood, I can count the number of power outages on one hand.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just installed the CM1200 with no problems on Spectrum for gigabit internet.

My Spectrum modem would regularly overheat. The Arris 8200 had reviews that it ran hot so I went with the Netgear. So far so good and activation was a 4 min wait on the phone and no problem at all.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Ok, got Comcast's silly spy modem. I confirmed that by having it I am saving $25/mo and it actually does not need to be activated. I went from 300/15 (old plan with CM600) to 350/12 (new plan with CM600) to 650/8 (new plan with xFi). Going to test speeds later to see if the up speed gets any better as that is awful, then I need to decide if I want to spend the cash on a new modem or just disable everything I can on the xFi and live with whatever else it is doing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Lifespan posted:

Ok, got Comcast's silly spy modem. I confirmed that by having it I am saving $25/mo and it actually does not need to be activated. I went from 300/15 (old plan with CM600) to 350/12 (new plan with CM600) to 650/8 (new plan with xFi). Going to test speeds later to see if the up speed gets any better as that is awful, then I need to decide if I want to spend the cash on a new modem or just disable everything I can on the xFi and live with whatever else it is doing.

Which speed test are you using? Have you tested with the Google Fiber speed test? (note: different from google's regular speed test)

e: and these are wired speed tests, right?

astral fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 9, 2020

nerox
May 20, 2001

MrMoo posted:

A deciding factor is whether you get brownouts or not? That circuitry is a little bit more expensive.

Something like this: ~$40

CyberPower EC450G Ecologic UPS System, 450VA/260W, 8 Outlets, ECO Mode, Compact https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SKX6YWS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_J-DbFb30M7M1S

Thanks, this is exactly the type thing I want at the price I want. I couldn’t find one that said it has usb connectivity earlier at that price point.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

astral posted:

Which speed test are you using? Have you tested with the Google Fiber speed test? (note: different from google's regular speed test)

e: and these are wired speed tests, right?

Yes, these are all wired tests conducted via the Orbi router's onboard test (which uses speedtest.net).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

rufius posted:

I like my Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch XP: https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgeswitch-10xp/

It was really easy to setup and I've got 4 of the ports setup as LACP with my NAS. Also using the SFP port to connect to my EdgeRouter 4 to free up another one of the Ethernet ports so that I can use all 8 for connected appliances.

I do like my PoE unifi switch already in my rack... but I don’t quite need PoE or link aggregation for this, just a trunk port and the ability to tag vlans. Maybe I should see what non poe switches unifi has though, that’s probably the best answer to keep things consistent. For instance, I hate that I have an HP procurve in the setup because of poo poo like the different definitions of basic poo poo like trunking that just make doing anything super obtuse and annoying.