Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

The super simplest option is rent something from Spectrum. Iím not suggesting it, just noting it.

Donít get a combo router/modem.

Modem: Motorola MB7420 works well for most folks.

WiFi: tp-link ac1750 works well enough or any of its siblings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a magic hippo
Nov 15, 2018

astral posted:

Friends don't let friends get combo modem/routers.

Any specific recommendations?
What should I look for in a modem and what should I look for in a router?

a magic hippo
Nov 15, 2018

rufius posted:

The super simplest option is rent something from Spectrum. Iím not suggesting it, just noting it.

Thank you for these recommendations! Very much appreciated!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rufius posted:

I have spectrum and in my area they donít even give out combo units anymore.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I have spectrum and in my area they donít even give out combo units anymore.

Ah interesting.

Iíve had CLink gigabit for years and havenít used an ISPís equipment so my experience is limited to in-laws and my parents getting cable modem combos from Comcast.

What do they do instead? Just give you a modem and let you figure the rest out?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rufius posted:

Ah interesting.

Iíve had CLink gigabit for years and havenít used an ISPís equipment so my experience is limited to in-laws and my parents getting cable modem combos from Comcast.

What do they do instead? Just give you a modem and let you figure the rest out?

They gave me a modem and separate router.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

I've just got a BT Business Smart Hub off eBay as an upgrade for my Plusnet router, which I had various problems with. The BT router seemed to be a common solution on the Plusnet forums.

It's resolved the issues that I was having (the main one being that DNS resolution was falling over at least once a day until the router was rebooted) but I have a new one. Today I noticed that most of my Cast devices weren't discoverable from my phone. The devices were still online, I could issue voice commands to play stuff on them via a Google Home, and they would play, so they obviously had a working connection, my phone just couldn't see them. After some pissing about, on a hunch I disabled the 5Ghz WiFi band and everything instantly showed up in the list. After some experimentation, it seems that Chromecast discovery works fine with it switched off, but as soon as you turned it on, everything goes to poo poo.

The router was configured to be dual band, combined networks (i.e. same SSID and password, security settings and everything). It's my understanding that in this configuration, the devices should all be able to see each other, shouldn't they? What's going on at the physical layer should be irrelevant if they are all on the same subnet, shouldn't it? But it certainly seems to make a difference, as if the router is somehow separating the two networks. It seems as though the only devices my phone can discover are the ones on the same band as it is.

Anyone know of any known issues that might cause this? Or router settings that might help? Otherwise I'll just keep 5Ghz turned off I guess.

edit: Some searching is pointing to a setting called AP Isolation, but I can't find this in the router config, and also, it seems as though if this were turned on, none of the wireless clients would be able to see each other at all, same bands or not.

Another edit: I'm seeing other people reporting similar issues, with Chromecasts and also with Sonos systems. Do clients get new IP addresses when they roam between bands? I wouldn't have thought so but if they do then I guess that could be it maybe? Or maybe the problem lies with how the Chromecasts handle different bands?

chippy fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 25, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh gently caress, apparently eero released 6.2 firmware which allegedly fixes the double NAT issue that has been a considerable annoyance for a few years now, including for myself. Iíve had to drop a second router between my eero gateway node and my ONT in order to get an IP address from Consolidated. It seemed to be just an issue with this specific ISP and eero always blamed CCI and CCI always blamed eero for years.

Iím not seeing the update on my eero Pros yet, but just reading this on Reddit made my day.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 25, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

See a lot of talk about wireguard, can anyone post a good guide on getting set up with it, particularly as it relates to tunnels?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

codo27 posted:

See a lot of talk about wireguard, can anyone post a good guide on getting set up with it, particularly as it relates to tunnels?

what platform at each end of the tunnel

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

How bad is Ethernet over coax / the adapters? I have a good run of cable that I could rip up and replace with Cat6, but since it's already there....?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shumagorath posted:

How bad is Ethernet over coax / the adapters? I have a good run of cable that I could rip up and replace with Cat6, but since it's already there....?

MoCA works pretty well but the adapters are a little more expensive than power line. If your ISP (FiOS for example) provides a MoCA router than it can be a pretty good way to get wired latency to wherever you want it. Otherwise it's a little pricey vs. some cable but would definitely save you some effort. Last time I looked it was $75 for a MoCA adapter?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Shumagorath posted:

I've had a good experience so far with the Actiontec adapters. Able to max out my gigabit connection with no issues so far (few months)

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

codo27 posted:

If itís single user use case I highly recommend Tailscale.

Their single user product is free and automates all that.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

chippy posted:

I've just got a BT Business Smart Hub off eBay as an upgrade for my Plusnet router, which I had various problems with. The BT router seemed to be a common solution on the Plusnet forums.

It's resolved the issues that I was having (the main one being that DNS resolution was falling over at least once a day until the router was rebooted) but I have a new one. Today I noticed that most of my Cast devices weren't discoverable from my phone. The devices were still online, I could issue voice commands to play stuff on them via a Google Home, and they would play, so they obviously had a working connection, my phone just couldn't see them. After some pissing about, on a hunch I disabled the 5Ghz WiFi band and everything instantly showed up in the list. After some experimentation, it seems that Chromecast discovery works fine with it switched off, but as soon as you turned it on, everything goes to poo poo.

The router was configured to be dual band, combined networks (i.e. same SSID and password, security settings and everything). It's my understanding that in this configuration, the devices should all be able to see each other, shouldn't they? What's going on at the physical layer should be irrelevant if they are all on the same subnet, shouldn't it? But it certainly seems to make a difference, as if the router is somehow separating the two networks. It seems as though the only devices my phone can discover are the ones on the same band as it is.

Anyone know of any known issues that might cause this? Or router settings that might help? Otherwise I'll just keep 5Ghz turned off I guess.

edit: Some searching is pointing to a setting called AP Isolation, but I can't find this in the router config, and also, it seems as though if this were turned on, none of the wireless clients would be able to see each other at all, same bands or not.

Another edit: I'm seeing other people reporting similar issues, with Chromecasts and also with Sonos systems. Do clients get new IP addresses when they roam between bands? I wouldn't have thought so but if they do then I guess that could be it maybe? Or maybe the problem lies with how the Chromecasts handle different bands?

The IP shouldn't change when roaming as long as both bands are on the same VLAN, but from what I can google the BT Business Smart Hub doesn't allow you to create multiple vlans. By default, Chromecasts and Sonos systems are required to be on the same network as your phone/controller. And yes, AP Isolation doesn't sound like the issue here. I'd still verify the IP thing by connecting our phone to 5ghz and then 2.4ghz and seeing if it has different IP addresses.

Also, under your wireless settings, do you have it set to Separate Bands On and manually configured the network name and security types to be the same? You'll want Separate Bands Off.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Cyks posted:

The IP shouldn't change when roaming as long as both bands are on the same VLAN, but from what I can google the BT Business Smart Hub doesn't allow you to create multiple vlans. By default, Chromecasts and Sonos systems are required to be on the same network as your phone/controller. And yes, AP Isolation doesn't sound like the issue here. I'd still verify the IP thing by connecting our phone to 5ghz and then 2.4ghz and seeing if it has different IP addresses.

Also, under your wireless settings, do you have it set to Separate Bands On and manually configured the network name and security types to be the same? You'll want Separate Bands Off.

Separate Bands was off, yes. If you turn separate bands on, the hub won't allow you to use the same SSID for both anyway, it insists you set them to something different.

I'll verify the IP thing, I wouldn't expect it to change either.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

gently caress, just missed out on three AC Lites with all the trimmings for the equivalent of $120.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Thanks for the MoCA tips. I might still rip up the coax and run Ethernet since it's a single room perimeter but it's nice to have options. Stupid builders should have just run a third patch but on well....

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

What's the latest recommendation for a modem for Comcast/Xfinity? Still a Motorola Surfboard? I bought an ASUS CM-32_AC2600 about 6 months ago, and while it's not bad, it will lock up when I'm trying to use too many simultaneous connections. Probably because it's a modem and router in one. I think its time to finally separate the two

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

IndianaZoidberg posted:

What's the latest recommendation for a modem for Comcast/Xfinity? Still a Motorola Surfboard? I bought an ASUS CM-32_AC2600 about 6 months ago, and while it's not bad, it will lock up when I'm trying to use too many simultaneous connections. Probably because it's a modem and router in one. I think its time to finally separate the two

For gigabit I am assuming?

There was some related discussion a few pages back: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3442319&pagenumber=554&perpage=40#post512441382

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

Gigabit, Yes.

Thanks. Looks like either the Motorola MB8600 or the Netgear Nighthawk CM1200. I'll look into both of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I'm trying to connect my Oculus Quest 2 to my PC with a mobile hotspot. I have Intel 802.11ax onboard and I think it's only connecting at 20 mhz but it's a 160mhz card. Can I force it to connect at over 20 or is Microsoft hotspot implementation stuck at 20?

Virtual Desktop is complaining about slow speeds so I'd like to boost it somehow.