Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CopperHound posted:

That 600Mbps speed was a direct test between two computers on the lan. It was 8-10 years ago on the only consumer grade gigabit router I was able to find at the time. I think it was a d-link. Can we get past this hangup now? I don't need a backplane that can handle full speed on every port at once.

no no we need to drill deeper and discuss the merits of SoC switch-chip based routing vs discreet interfaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

CrazyLittle posted:

discreet interfaces

i got a discreet port for ya right heah buddy *points to networking closet*

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Mommy told me to never take uplinks from strangers

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Home Networking Megathread - Network Admins Gone Wild!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I just ordered a used Actiontec C2000A for $35. Hopefully I can make it handle any sort of dsl the ISP tries serving up even if I decide upgrade to a bonded line.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
fair warning, those Actiontecs absolutely suck. I suggest getting another router and putting that POS in bridge mode.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I'm using a spare Dell alienware computer as a media server of sorts. It's using built in wifi which isnt ideal and slow as poo poo maxing out at about 10 MB/s. But wiring it will require running cable under carpet so I just bought a TP link Archer T4U usb adapter because it was $15 at the time and should be fast enough for what I need. All I really do is use Servio and network share a few drives and folders.

However I cannot access network shared drives and folders at all with the stupid thing. Servio and everything else seems just fine. I can ping the computer but I cannot map the drives or directly access them. This is driving me nuts, I have a feeling I'm missing some very basic thing here, does anybody know how I'm messing this up? There is nothing I can see setting wise thats off or wrong

All machines are running Windows 10

edit: Woops I did finally find a sign or symptom of something wrong, if I run the automatic network diagnosis after I fail to connect to a network share I get the message "file and print sharing resource (alien) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts."

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 14, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

redeyes posted:

fair warning, those Actiontecs absolutely suck. I suggest getting another router and putting that POS in bridge mode.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll buy a non-poo poo router if I can get it to sync with my ISP. I just couldn't find a modem only device that claimed to support PTM.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Where is the most ideal place to put an Access Point in a 900 sq ft, 2 floor row home?

I’m assuming at the top of the staircase so it can hit the second floor well along with everything the floor below?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't try and pull tricks with a single AP to give you mediocre coverage in every room. Focus on where you want Wi-Fi, put the AP in a position to cover that area. If there's places without coverage then add a second to fill in the gap. If your deployment is planning to put at least one wall and/or a floor between the AP and the client then you're going to more or less ensure everything runs at 2.4GHz and be limited to 802.11n speeds.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't try and pull tricks with a single AP to give you mediocre coverage in every room. Focus on where you want Wi-Fi, put the AP in a position to cover that area. If there's places without coverage then add a second to fill in the gap. If your deployment is planning to put at least one wall and/or a floor between the AP and the client then you're going to more or less ensure everything runs at 2.4GHz and be limited to 802.11n speeds.

it isn't "pulling tricks" to let someone experiment and figure out what solution best fits their needs, holy crap dude

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
It's just a residential home. I'd rather have 1 access point give me acceptable speeds without having to blow more money on another AP

Also, renting my first home and buying furniture is making me broke :negative:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's fine, if you just want an acceptable coverage on phones/tablets throughout the house then you can likely do what you're proposing. I'd put it on a long patch cable and just get it held up temporarily before doing any sort of installation work. If the performance over a few days works for you then go for it.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it isn't "pulling tricks" to let someone experiment and figure out what solution best fits their needs, holy crap dude

Not really sure where that's come from, but I don't think it's controversial to suggest that you can design for coverage or for throughput, and each type of deployment will look vastly different. It can be tempting to try and blast your whole house from a central point and spend a ton on a high-power AP to get a signal to appear everywhere, but once devices have to start talking back through a few walls then you're not going to have a great experience, and could potentially have put in lower end devices to achieve the same result.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Not really sure where that's come from, but I don't think it's controversial to suggest that you can design for coverage or for throughput, and each type of deployment will look vastly different. It can be tempting to try and blast your whole house from a central point and spend a ton on a high-power AP to get a signal to appear everywhere, but once devices have to start talking back through a few walls then you're not going to have a great experience, and could potentially have put in lower end devices to achieve the same result.

your advice isn't controversial, no. it's just really bad. you know almost nothing about this person's physical space, equipment, usage needs, or anything else. yet instead of telling them how they can determine whether one AP will be sufficient, or asking questions to get more information to tailor your advice, you just immediately launch into :goonsay: WELL YOU NEED TO BUY A SHITLOAD OF EQUIPMENT DID U KNO THAT SIGNAL DEGRADES THRU WALLS??? that isn't helpful. chill out

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Grump posted:

It's just a residential home. I'd rather have 1 access point give me acceptable speeds without having to blow more money on another AP

if you can easily move the AP to different locations around the house, just try it out for a few days in a couple different spots and see how it works in each one.

One simple way to test is to do a wired and a wireless speed test with a computer right next to the router, to get a benchmark reading of speed. This also lets you make sure the wireless is doing fine in ideal conditions. Then go to different areas of the house and run speed tests in each of them. This isn't super scientific, but it will at least catch any super bad dropoffs in signal.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 17, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

your advice isn't controversial, no. it's just really bad. you know almost nothing about this person's physical space, equipment, usage needs, or anything else. yet instead of telling them how they can determine whether one AP will be sufficient, or asking questions to get more information to tailor your advice, you just immediately launch into :goonsay: WELL YOU NEED TO BUY A SHITLOAD OF EQUIPMENT DID U KNO THAT SIGNAL DEGRADES THRU WALLS??? that isn't helpful. chill out

Maybe you should re-read his post and think about the fact that you might be the one over-reacting here. His recommendation is sound and his tone is infinitely better than yours.

Starting with 1 WAP in a central location is fine as long as you're not doing any real work to get it there. If you're having to run cables and put in extra work, doing it right the first time may be the way to go. It also depends if you consider spending an extra $100 for a WAP a big deal or not. A lot of us who are in the tech field make decent money and are willing to spend more to make sure things work.

You're not wrong, Walter, you're just an rear end in a top hat.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Grump posted:

So really, you might want to start with something like an Edgerouter and a Unifi AC-Lite. I'd probably put the Unifi AC-Lite upstairs if possible and I think it should be enough to also cover the downstairs. It would require running an ethernet cable from where your router is to where the access point is going to be, but might not be that big of a deal depending on construction.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Seems like maybe if you have the budget and if you're super psyched to get maximum effectiveness out of a mesh then you should do that, but if you're just a home user who wants everyone to get Wifi on their cell phone so they're not complaining then yeah a central location with LoS to as many critical areas as possible is a good thing to try first.

Here's my personal experience: I have a ~1300sqft single story with a somewhat lozenge/ellipse-shaped design based around a hallway that connects the three bedrooms in one end to the living room and kitchen in the other. I already have the house wired so I was ready to place multiple APs if needed (especially for yard coverage) but was hoping one UAP-AC-Pro would do the trick. I placed this in the bedroom-end focus so that it has LoS straight into all three bedrooms and down the hall towards the living room. I can get 150Mbps+ in places with LoS and 30-50 elsewhere in the house. I still get a usable 10+Mbps signal in the driveway like 75 feet from the AP. I definitely consider this "good enough" and am not motivated to add another one for now.

Going vertically/diagonally to another floor will reduce your signal level a lot more than just horizontally through drywall, but given the relatively small total area I'm hopeful that a good dual band AP could get you acceptable results.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 17, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's definitely worth it trying different AP positions. Wifi is just too hard to guess. I've taken to just plugging an AP in with no internet and walking around doing iperf tests with the router itself.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

anyone see/hear any word why the Ubiquiti USG-4 Pro's have basically been out of stock since May? I've been overhauling my networking rack and at this point I may have to buy a used one to complete my project.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

redeyes posted:

It's definitely worth it trying different AP positions. Wifi is just too hard to guess. I've taken to just plugging an AP in with no internet and walking around doing iperf tests with the router itself.

When I got my AC Lite this is exactly what I did. Discovered that one is good enough for my whole property if I place it high up in the middle. I’m not transferring huge files across it as I have the important things hard wired.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Is there any way to access a modem in transparent bridge mode through a TP-Link Archer C9? I'm trying to add static routes but I just break my internet because I have no clue what I'm doing.

Here is my setup:
Actiontec C2000A in tranparent bridge mode with an IP of 192.168.0.1 on the lan side.
^ Lan
V Wan
TPlink Archer C9 with a lan IP of 192.168.1.1 and a public wan ip from the ISP via dhcp.

I have no problem accessing the modem when plugged in directly as long as I set a static IP in the 192.168.0.x range.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 19, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

CopperHound posted:

Is there any way to access a modem in transparent bridge mode through a TP-Link Archer C9? I'm trying to add static routes but I just break my internet because I have no clue what I'm doing.

Here is my setup:
Actiontec C2000A in tranparent bridge mode with an IP of 192.168.0.1 on the lan side.
^ Lan
V Wan
TPlink Archer C9 with a lan IP of 192.168.1.1

I have no problem accessing the modem when plugged in directly as long as I set a static IP in the 192.168.0.x range.

Why are you doing this? Home lab?

That's not transparent bridge mode if it's handing out a private range internally.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I mostly want to check sync speeds and line condition.

quote:

That's not transparent bridge mode if it's handing out a private range internally.

Perhaps I am unclear. The modem is not handing out local IP's that is why I manually have to set one to log into it.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Comedy option: Drop a 5 port switch inline the modem and router, and set your own NIC to 0.X and plug it in the switch?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
EDIT: Ignore this post, question was answered elsewhere. Thanks!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 20, 2018

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
What kind of weird stuff should I put in my lab? I am going bananas on Craigslist this week picking up all the good poo poo from shuttered businesses.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Woof Blitzer posted:

What kind of weird stuff should I put in my lab? I am going bananas on Craigslist this week picking up all the good poo poo from shuttered businesses.

Infiniband NICs, optical to run NVMeoF :haw:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

priznat posted:

Infiniband NICs, optical to run NVMeoF :haw:

But what excuse do I use for using optical links?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Woof Blitzer posted:

So you can run it 300metres!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Woof Blitzer posted:

Everyone needs networks that run 10-400 Gbit/s. There's no reason to not have the highest performing gear (provided you can get it dirt cheap).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Looks like Ubiquiti is going to come out with a new Unifi 6-port 10G PoE switch called the US XG-6 POE. Check their beta store if you're interested.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
What's a good PCIE network card for a small home server?

2x 1GB ports would be enough but I'd like it to be able to handle VLAN tags.

Amazon UK preferred. Is there a certain card that's recommended over others, or is it much of a muchness?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

What OS are you using? General knowledge I’ve seen is usually Intel stuff.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

CentOS. Yep. I've had good luck with Intel NIC's in Linux before, mainly the small laptop type modules. I expect an Intel PCI-E card would be similarly compatible.

This looks OK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SI-PEX24042-Ethernet-PCI-express-Interface-Controller/dp/B01HH6WETO

I wonder if it would do a two line LAGG, LACP with pfSense?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

apropos man posted:

CentOS. Yep. I've had good luck with Intel NIC's in Linux before, mainly the small laptop type modules. I expect an Intel PCI-E card would be similarly compatible.

This looks OK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SI-PEX24042-Ethernet-PCI-express-Interface-Controller/dp/B01HH6WETO

I wonder if it would do a two line LAGG, LACP with pfSense?

No, that has realtek NICs and they are never recommended.

I found this one which would work great,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cisco-Qu...&frcectupt=true

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

redeyes posted:

No, that has realtek NICs and they are never recommended.

I found this one which would work great,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cisco-Qu...&frcectupt=true

That is loving sweet! Thanks. I'm bookmarking the advert (and model number) and will purchase in a couple of days when my cash flow is ready.

Second question:

I've been using Plex in a VM for a while now and someone suggested running it with docker, rather than in a KVM guest. The theory being that docker can access the cores on my Xeon E3-1240L v5 directly and I get much better transcoding than doing it through KVM.

So I got my dockerplex instance running and it starts up when I restart my home server, with this command:
code:
docker run --restart unless-stopped -d --name dockerplex --network=docker_net --ip=192.168.0.3 \
-e TZ="Europe/London" -e PLEX_CLAIM="claim-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" \
-h dockerplex -v /home/foo/plex_database:/config \
-v /home/foo/plex_transcodes:/transcode -v /mnt/video:/video plexinc/pms-docker
^I've edited out a bit of personal info.

I can access the server on my home net using the android app and cast it to my Chromecast Ultra. I'm currently watching a 4K MKV file of the latest Blade Runner film and it's working well. The docker container starts automatically on boot and playing 4K is making full use of my Xeon for transcoding :-D

But I'm not very acquainted with docker. Will my command automatically pull the latest version of Plex Media Server on every boot or will I have to manually pull the newer version when it comes out?

So that would mean doing 'docker rm dockerplex' and then issuing some kind of manual pull command? Or am I good to go as it stands?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

apropos man posted:

That is loving sweet! Thanks. I'm bookmarking the advert (and model number) and will purchase in a couple of days when my cash flow is ready.

Second question:

I've been using Plex in a VM for a while now and someone suggested running it with docker, rather than in a KVM guest. The theory being that docker can access the cores on my Xeon E3-1240L v5 directly and I get much better transcoding than doing it through KVM.

So I got my dockerplex instance running and it starts up when I restart my home server, with this command:
code:
docker run --restart unless-stopped -d --name dockerplex --network=docker_net --ip=192.168.0.3 \
-e TZ="Europe/London" -e PLEX_CLAIM="claim-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" \
-h dockerplex -v /home/foo/plex_database:/config \
-v /home/foo/plex_transcodes:/transcode -v /mnt/video:/video plexinc/pms-docker
^I've edited out a bit of personal info.

I can access the server on my home net using the android app and cast it to my Chromecast Ultra. I'm currently watching a 4K MKV file of the latest Blade Runner film and it's working well. The docker container starts automatically on boot and playing 4K is making full use of my Xeon for transcoding :-D

But I'm not very acquainted with docker. Will my command automatically pull the latest version of Plex Media Server on every boot or will I have to manually pull the newer version when it comes out?

So that would mean doing 'docker rm dockerplex' and then issuing some kind of manual pull command? Or am I good to go as it stands?

Install portainer if you want a nice web based GUI for managing docker. Or you can install Watchtower to do auto updates. Or both!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

apropos man posted:

Be careful picking up used i350 based NICs. They should never be shipped form china, those are knock off fakes. Have a look at this:

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/comparison-intel-i350-t4-genuine-vs-fake.6917/

Specifically, look for the embossed DELTA logo. Fakes will have that printed/silk screened. Real ones the Delta is indented into the surface of the chip. As long as you can identify that part you should be good.

Always look for a part pulled from a working rack or server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Matt Zerella posted:

Install portainer if you want a nice web based GUI for managing docker. Or you can install Watchtower to do auto updates. Or both!

Cool.

I've also found a London-based seller of that Cisco adapter, so I'm gonna have it tonight. Model number checks out and the picture is the same. Saves quite a few quid in import tax. Thanks for the advice everyone.