Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Beach Bum posted:

I was one version/iteration behind, 3.0.0.4.382.51640 vs -54641. Updating now, we'll see if my issues persist. Patch notes for the latest version only list "Fix[ed] a DDoS vulnerability".

Still ordering that UPS, I suppose I'll go trawling for the thread I'm sure exists.

Keep in mind, when I mentioned power I wasn’t so concerned with the source as much as I was concerned about the AC adapter. Those can and do go bad based on power outages and surges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dick Nipples posted:

Keep in mind, when I mentioned power I wasn’t so concerned with the source as much as I was concerned about the AC adapter. Those can and do go bad based on power outages and surges.

Came here to post this. Your wall wart or the capacitors inside the router are going, the power from your wall is probably fine and unless you're buying an "always online" double conversion UPS it's not going to save you here. Nice to have, but not going to fix it. Spend the money on a new router.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I'm starting to think the Nest cameras we recently added to the network may be overloading things a bit. What's the go to network health/monitoring app/suite these days? Bonus points if it's dockerized.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
So I took my network setup apart today to install a 6183 I was able to borrow from a friend... and I found something.

The power cable for the modem was cat chewed. At least three places with moderately oxidized bare conductor. I suppose that's to be expected, as the whole reason I built a floating shelf 7' off the floor was to keep the small cables out of cat reach.

New power adapter on the way.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I'm not a networking person, so newbie question.

I've got this topology:

(I've got reinforced concrete walls, APs are cheap, don't look at me like that)

At apparently random (maybe a couple times a week), the desktop (connected to AP#2 via cable) loses its connection to the Internet. Pinging the fibre router times out, pinging anything on the internet times out, but it can ping AP#1 and all other machines in the home network. It can also reach AP#2. From the command console in AP#2, AP#2 can ping the fibre router. Whilst this is ongoing, the devices connected to AP#2 via wifi are fine and can reach the fibre router and the internet. I've checked that they're not silently switching to one of the others - they are really only connected to AP#2.

This lasts for maybe ten minutes, then everything is fine again. If I reboot AP#2 it is fine as soon as it comes back up.

What the hell is going on, what kind of logging should I even try to gather to find out

ronya fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 16, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

IP address conflict, maybe? Check if you haven't done something like set a static IP to a device (perhaps the disconnecting desktop) that turns out to be within the range handed out by your DHCP server.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Hmm, my fibre router is handling DHCP. The ISP software is hard locked to have a static range between .64 to .127 within the /24 subnet specified for the pool, I don't think it would re-use addresses... hmm

e: from the DHCP logs there's a device that is MAC randomizing (like so), maybe that's it. I'll cut the lease time down to an hour, maybe that will help

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 16, 2020

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The desktop is connected via cable, it's not also connected to the wifi at the same time, right? In theory the device would prioritize the cabled connection but I've seen weirder things happen with devices that are double connected. Also, Windows does have mac randomization options on the wifi, assuming this device is windows.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
No, not double connected

Mac randomization should be OK but I suspect whatever device it is requesting new leases really aggressively as well

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Kind of a tough one with the limited troubleshooting capabilities of ISP routers. If this device is eating up the DHCP pool it still shouldn't effect the desktop as long as it's connected since the router will just keep giving it the same address forever. Once the pool runs out it just rejects new device requests. This device may also be trying to set it's own IP addressing apart from DHCP for some reason. Do you have any smart tvs on the network at all? Those are notorious for just grabbing and keeping IP addresses forever, often holding onto multiple addresses at a time because they suck.

If it is actually an IP conflict, the best way to tell would be to ARP ping the IP address from another device when the desktop is acting up. I don't know what your other devices are but it doesn't look like there's a good way to do it in windows without downloading third party software. The reason I say ARP ping specifically is that all devices have to respond to ARP whereas a lot of devices will ignore regular pings (windows devices have ICMP responses disabled by default).

Without downloading third party software, you could do this, from another (windows) device:
arp -d //clears the arp table
ping [ip address of desktop] //see if anything responds
arp -a //shows the arp table, see if you see a mac address for the ip in question and if it actually matches the mac from the desktop

if one of those other devices does happen to be linux it may have arping in it (or it can easily be installed) where you just run it like a normal ping so
arping [ip address]
and that's it. See if some other unexpected device responds.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jun 16, 2020

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
There is indeed a smart TV (of the "localhost" variety). I could kick it off.

ronya fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 16, 2020

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Unfortunately with how vague and intermittent it is, there's just a whole bunch of variables to cover.
One thing you haven't mentioned, during this downtime have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the ethernet cable and/or rebooting the device? Does that fix the issue or do you have to just wait until it starts working again?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Rebooting AP#2 resolves the problem as soon as AP#2 comes back online. That may be due to all the devices attached to AP#2 being connected to the network again so it may not be due to AP#2 itself though

I haven't tried physically disconnecting it, I'll try that the next time.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am working on a project to move all my network equipment (which right now is just an Archer C7) to my upstairs office, my house is small but I'd like to hardwire an AP to the downstairs area of my house. I'm not yet ready to make the jump to microtik or anything more complicated than just a simple AP to help with coverage. Can someone reccomend some decent bang for your buck APs that are on the market now? I don't need PoE.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

cr0y posted:

I am working on a project to move all my network equipment (which right now is just an Archer C7) to my upstairs office, my house is small but I'd like to hardwire an AP to the downstairs area of my house. I'm not yet ready to make the jump to microtik or anything more complicated than just a simple AP to help with coverage. Can someone reccomend some decent bang for your buck APs that are on the market now? I don't need PoE.

Ubiquiti AP Lite always comes to mind. Pretty well regarded if you're looking for a pure AP solution.

Otherwise, Asus routers are usually pretty good and can be thrown in bridge mode.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
So I got my C7 to stop making GBS threads the bed every day- hunted through old tickets and support threads for an hour and finally found someone with an identical problem in the v2 version- I have a v4 but it was the same issue.

I have no idea what it does, but I turned off the NAT boost and viola- no more disconnects!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ronya posted:

Rebooting AP#2 resolves the problem as soon as AP#2 comes back online. That may be due to all the devices attached to AP#2 being connected to the network again so it may not be due to AP#2 itself though

I haven't tried physically disconnecting it, I'll try that the next time.

My thought was that you may have set a static IP on your desktop which would've fallen within the DHCP pool, and then something else was receiving that IP from the pool.

Just Offscreen posted:

So I got my C7 to stop making GBS threads the bed every day- hunted through old tickets and support threads for an hour and finally found someone with an identical problem in the v2 version- I have a v4 but it was the same issue.

I have no idea what it does, but I turned off the NAT boost and viola- no more disconnects!

Some devices have hardware acceleration for NAT but it sounds like you were filling up its table (torrenting is one example of a thing that can do this obscenely quickly).

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

astral posted:

Some devices have hardware acceleration for NAT but it sounds like you were filling up its table (torrenting is one example of a thing that can do this obscenely quickly).

That's strange- not that I would ever do such a thing, but if I had...I certainly wasn't doing that during the timeframe of the gateway disconnects.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Just Offscreen posted:

That's strange- not that I would ever do such a thing, but if I had...I certainly wasn't doing that during the timeframe of the gateway disconnects.

Lot of apps these days use peer-to-peer delivery methods for updates, too.

It's also entirely possible it was malfunctioning or had a bad firmware or whatever.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Anyone ever have a UAP-AC-HD (or similar) just stop working?

Here's the symptoms:

- Receives PoE power and link shows active when connected to switch (switch shows a few watts going to the device, and a gigabit link)
- Not discoverable via CloudKey
- No LED ring light at all
- Hold down reset button (clicked in) for 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30+ seconds, no difference. LED is dark; nothing seems to change even after waiting a while.
- Tried the "TFTP mode" - nothing, just darkness
- Tried two different PoE+ injectors and a UniFi Switch 16 POE-150W

This unit was working fine for years and then just appeared as offline :(

What haven't I tried?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

admiraldennis posted:

What haven't I tried?

Contacting support and opening with that troubleshooting list.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The one AP that died for me was the onboard flash storage, not much you can do about that.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration
Genius. Just opened a ticket. This unit is out of warranty by about 6 months -- we'll see how it goes!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

the op is from 2018 soooooo

i am looking for a usb wifi adapter for my computer, whats a good cheap one say 25-50 bucks range?

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration
So helpful :what:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

admiraldennis posted:

Here's the symptoms:

- Receives PoE power and link shows active when connected to switch (switch shows a few watts going to the device, and a gigabit link)
- Not discoverable via CloudKey
- No LED ring light at all
- Hold down reset button (clicked in) for 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30+ seconds, no difference. LED is dark; nothing seems to change even after waiting a while.
- Tried the "TFTP mode" - nothing, just darkness
- Tried two different PoE+ injectors and a UniFi Switch 16 POE-150W

This unit was working fine for years and then just appeared as offline :(

What haven't I tried?

Did you try a different cable(s) already?

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

astral posted:

Did you try a different cable(s) already?

Yeah. Always a good call and often forgotten. I have tried a variety of cables and power sources.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The phy could be working since it’s POE but whatever processing system is behind that is probably dead.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I just moved into a new place and banzai kamikazed on a Dream Machine in lieu of going the old rack full of server gear stashed in a specially-doctored IKEA cabinet. It arrives this Friday. We'll see if I need or want the UAP in-wall HD. I doubt it, though, even though the signal will probably have to go right past the microwave to my computer, besides, they're sold out everwhere, it seems.

From what I've seen, everything is painless, and I almost want to replace everyone I've set up Edgemax + Unifi for with this thing.

Anyone got a recommendation on a decent PoE+ injector, since Ubiquiti has to be coy and not use words that are commonly used to mean certain specifications?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I just moved into a new place and banzai kamikazed on a Dream Machine in lieu of going the old rack full of server gear stashed in a specially-doctored IKEA cabinet. It arrives this Friday. We'll see if I need or want the UAP in-wall HD. I doubt it, though, even though the signal will probably have to go right past the microwave to my computer, besides, they're sold out everwhere, it seems.

From what I've seen, everything is painless, and I almost want to replace everyone I've set up Edgemax + Unifi for with this thing.

Anyone got a recommendation on a decent PoE+ injector, since Ubiquiti has to be coy and not use words that are commonly used to mean certain specifications?

Don't most of the APs come with an injector? Both my AC Pro and FlexHD have.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Documentation has me worrying it'll be an AF and not AT.

Do I actually *need* the passthrough? I can probably safely say no, but damned if I'm going to turn down a feature just because. XD

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 18, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Documentation has me worrying it'll be an AF and not AT.

Do I actually *need* the passthrough? I can probably safely say no, but damned if I'm going to turn down a feature just because. XD

You can run the inwall on AF if you don't use the PoE passthru, if you need it you will require a AT injector. There are no injectors in inwalls boxes and the AF-AT price delta is so negligible, i would suggest purchasing a AT injector from the start.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

withoutclass posted:

Don't most of the APs come with an injector? Both my AC Pro and FlexHD have.

The AP lite I bought like 4 years ago did. The AP pro I bought about 18 months ago did not.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
The AP Pro I bought a few years ago did not come with an injector. I bought a second AP Pro and the 150w Ubiquiti switch a month ago, and the new AP Pro came with an injector.

Maybe they changed when they realized it wasn't all commercial purchases?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I thought 1 packs did and 4 packs didn't?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Previously single units didn't include it either, or the bundle was more than the AP + Injector.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Popping in for some help, again, please, because I have a weird thing happening. Here's my home network:

code:

ISP 
          (gigabit fiber)
                 |
                 |
            wired router 
           (Ubiquiti ER-X)
              /         \
             /           \
        desktop       wireless router 
                      (ASUS RT-N56U)
                            |
                            |
                         laptop

It seems that when I run some SQL scripts from my work laptop, it does ~*something*~ which causes the wired router to become completely unresponsive. The internet for the entire home dies, both wifi and wired, and I can't even reach the ER-X router through my desktop. The only solution is to cycle the power on the ER-X.

This doesn't happen every time nor for every SQL script, but it sure as hell seems to happen when I start queries. It never happens when I'm only using my personal desktop. I'll be doing some testing this weekend to see if I can replicate it with any consistency.

But so that I know if I'm completely insane: is this even possible? Could the router be having some kind of... I don't know, allergic loving reaction to the SQL code? Is it the spike in network traffic? What would you be looking for if you were trying to test this out?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is your SQL environment set up differently on each PC regarding how many connections it will open at once?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So lets say I can conconvince Spectrum to upgrade me to their gigabit plan for next to nothing, and I currently have the Arris TM1602A, what would be the best gigabit from their approved list (assuming they don't just send me one, or if I can request one):

Arris SBG8300
Netgear CAX80
Netgear CM1000v2
Netgear CM1100
Netgear CM1200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Thanks Ants posted:

Is your SQL environment set up differently on each PC regarding how many connections it will open at once?

The only computer I run SQL from is the work laptop, so that shouldn't be it (if I understood your question). But if I need to check those multiple-connection settings on the laptop, I'm all ears.

It's a fairly vanilla MS SQL Server connection to a company server through our VPN, at least to the best of my understanding.