Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is it foolish to get the T620 Plus over the T730? That $115 T730 does make more sense than the T620 Plus for $150 which has a drive but not AC adapter. Not sure what the supply of these is like.

And should I look for the HP NC365T on ebay too?

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The TP-Link C1200 v3 router at my parents place likes to randomly reboot whenever. Can't pinpoint what causes it, or when it happens consistently. I've updated to the latest firmware on it earlier this month, but the random reboots still happens (though no as much). I haven't set any automated reboot setting or anything like that. Any idea as to why this might be happening? Quick google searches just lead me to thread posts saying to update the firmware. The WiFi isn't even being used on the router; I set up 2 wired APs in the living room and the basement for them to use instead.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
TP Link is trash man. I have no idea why it gets recommended in this thread.

Maybe replace with a nice Mikrotik HAP AC2

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

teagone posted:

The TP-Link C1200 v3 router at my parents place likes to randomly reboot whenever. Can't pinpoint what causes it, or when it happens consistently. I've updated to the latest firmware on it earlier this month, but the random reboots still happens (though no as much). I haven't set any automated reboot setting or anything like that. Any idea as to why this might be happening? Quick google searches just lead me to thread posts saying to update the firmware. The WiFi isn't even being used on the router; I set up 2 wired APs in the living room and the basement for them to use instead.

Just as possible guesses it could be a bad outlet, bad power adapter, bad router, or (depending on the exact symptoms) a problem with the modem or the connection to the modem.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Does the thread have a preferred wifi analysis tool? Something I can run on my computer while I wave an antenna around until I find a good spot?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Does the thread have a preferred wifi analysis tool? Something I can run on my computer while I wave an antenna around until I find a good spot?

I really like Wifi Analyzer on Android. I believe MacOS has one built in if I'm not mistaken too.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

redeyes posted:

TP Link is trash man. I have no idea why it gets recommended in this thread.

Maybe because it has worked great for me, has been inexpensive, and provided years of rock solid service?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

withoutclass posted:

I really like Wifi Analyzer on Android. I believe MacOS has one built in if I'm not mistaken too.

Yeah, it's called holding the option key when clicking on the WiFi menubar icon.

Gives you signal strength, IP, channel, Tx rate, all that stuff. It's helped me many times finding dead spots for clients.

It's been around since forever.. maybe 10.2 at the earliest?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Alternatively, WiFiMan by Ubiquiti...

Ok I'll try and shut up about my new suite of toys from Ubiquiti.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I like how WiFiMan recognizes my phone, my EdgeRouter, and literally nothing else.

All other devices are 'Generic'

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Took.a couple of minutes but it found about 50% of mine accurately enough

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I've set up my home network now with two routers on it, partly to extend coverage and partly so I can add a better router to the mix. 1 is a virgin media hub 3 wireless modem and the othe is a dlink 1860 ax.

Both see the Internet and it works great, however on the dlink I cannot see any devices such as my Nvidia shield TV or network shares. I have even tried connecting the dlink to a hub and then the devices into that hub and it still doesn't see them.

Have looked at possible fixes and looks like on the new router I just turn off dchp as they will be arguing with each other and then give it a static ip?

Is that right?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You want to turn off DHCP, NAT, and firewall on the second device. Generally speaking, "I've set up my home network now with two routers on it" is a huge red flag, but in theory if you can turn of all three, DHCP, NAT, and firewall you should be okay.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The second router should have an option to use it just as an access point. That should turn off all those bits in one go. And yeah, running two routers puts your devices behind a double NAT and that is no bueno.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
You technically do not need to "turn off" anything on the second router but DHCP. Just don't plug anything into the WAN port and make sure the wifi and LAN are "bridged" or "linked" or "not segregated" or whatever your router calls it. That was a rage for a hot moment and now I think it's gone. Roaming will not be seamless but it's wifi, nothing is seamless. :v:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You should still turn them off on the second router.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
When I set up a static ip on the second router should I set the internet gateway as the IP of the other one?

Clueless about this stuff.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

sellouts posted:

You should still turn them off on the second router.

If you have nothing hooked up to the WAN port they likely don't do anything and it's possible that this mystery router doesn't have checkboxes to accomplish either of those things. Dhcp is the thing that 100% will break your network if you have more than 1.

Otherwise if you never need to talk to other devices on the network just double nat it by hooking router 1 LAN to router 2 WAN and call it a day.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
My parents have the lovely fios router and it is very troublesome in that multiple devices (running from windows 10, android, iphone, TV) have, all at different times, lost the connection entirely (mostly over wifi but I have had it happen with ethernet) for a minute or two before it came back (afaict wifi itself never went down but the connection through it did). One of the TVs even refuses to get a connection entirely through the router, gladly connecting to wifi and ethernet but failing to connect through the router to the internet at large. Trying to manually set DNS servers doesn't quite work as you need to set everything manually to set the DNS servers and while doing so initially gets a connection for a few seconds (you can even see the ip assignment as active in the router itself), it loses it right away. My computer, connected via ethernet, even had trouble to the point where I had to set the ip manually to get it to work (in which it did) however the router seems to only be able to have one static ip assignment at a time which is weird. Anyways, I want to bypass it entirely since it seems to be the common denominator here unless the fiber service itself or the fiber interface is busted. What's a good consumer router for their purposes that has a relatively high gain antenna, since they also have trouble getting wifi connections where they work, preferably under $75?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Bigsteve posted:

When I set up a static ip on the second router should I set the internet gateway as the IP of the other one?

Clueless about this stuff.

Probably. If you don't need the router that you're putting in AP mode to have internet access for e.g. firmware updates, you don't need to set a default gateway at all.

Simplest way to explain the concept: the combination of IP address and subnet mask defines the IP addresses that are part of the local network, and the default gateway handles communication to other networks outside of that.

Home network example: 192.168.0.5 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 means a device sends traffic destined to 192.168.0.1 through 192.168.0.254 directly. It sends traffic destined for anything else to the default gateway to be routed.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Sniep posted:

3000ft aerial & 500ft underground trenched

$34,000

Yes, 2020 has given me brain disease, but I don't care... It's my fiber on a public backbone with choice of a half dozen ISPs for internet transit all at gig/gig speeds. I'm not locked into any particular ISP so if i want to step up to actually push p95 traffic levels of commercial rates i can switch billing up to that easily with my pick of providers, all to my house.

it's not like centurylink or nothing

Holy gently caress I wish I had options like this in my location!

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

fletcher posted:

Holy gently caress I wish I had options like this in my location!

Move to a first world internet country, you'll get it for $40 per month

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Regularly getting 1150Mbps up and down with the new Gateway from AT&T. I believe IP passthrough actually works now and the 5gbE port seems to work fine on it. Incredible stuff coming from Spectrum.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sellouts posted:

Regularly getting 1150Mbps up and down with the new Gateway from AT&T. I believe IP passthrough actually works now and the 5gbE port seems to work fine on it. Incredible stuff coming from Spectrum.

What new gateway is this? My 5268ac has been absolute garbage, but I haven't seen anything newer available yet.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

sellouts posted:

What gateway is it?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Ugh.. My small fiber ISP got bought out by a much larger ISP (Great Plains Communications).

Here's hoping they don't start forcing routers/gateways/modems on fiber customers. Currently I get just a plain Ethernet with DHCP hand-off from my Fiber ONT. You are free to use whatever equipment you want.
No bullshit to deal with.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I’m getting an issue where my internet over both powerline and wifi will cut out periodically, for a short time usually, but reepating this for a long period now. The network will still be connected but the internet stops working. It’s hard to troubleshoot because the problem usually resolves within like 30 seconds or so, but it’s very irritating. What would normally be the cause of something like this? The modem, the router, or the wifi/powerline connection?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

My parents have the lovely fios router and it is very troublesome in that multiple devices (running from windows 10, android, iphone, TV) have, all at different times, lost the connection entirely (mostly over wifi but I have had it happen with ethernet) for a minute or two before it came back (afaict wifi itself never went down but the connection through it did). One of the TVs even refuses to get a connection entirely through the router, gladly connecting to wifi and ethernet but failing to connect through the router to the internet at large. Trying to manually set DNS servers doesn't quite work as you need to set everything manually to set the DNS servers and while doing so initially gets a connection for a few seconds (you can even see the ip assignment as active in the router itself), it loses it right away. My computer, connected via ethernet, even had trouble to the point where I had to set the ip manually to get it to work (in which it did) however the router seems to only be able to have one static ip assignment at a time which is weird. Anyways, I want to bypass it entirely since it seems to be the common denominator here unless the fiber service itself or the fiber interface is busted. What's a good consumer router for their purposes that has a relatively high gain antenna, since they also have trouble getting wifi connections where they work, preferably under $75?

Ok now my phone is having trouble. It's failing at the 'obtaining ip' stage. My laptop still works, as is my mom's laptop

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ok now my phone is having trouble. It's failing at the 'obtaining ip' stage. My laptop still works, as is my mom's laptop

I have a Fios router too and it's been pretty solid for the basic stuff (I turned off wifi and use Ubiquiti APs for that), but it sounds like the one you have may not be working right. Does it start handing out DHCP addresses again if you reboot it?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

sellouts posted:

Is their ipv6 support still just 6rd?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Rexxed posted:

I have a Fios router too and it's been pretty solid for the basic stuff (I turned off wifi and use Ubiquiti APs for that), but it sounds like the one you have may not be working right. Does it start handing out DHCP addresses again if you reboot it?

I really want to get get a unifi but eh. Restarting *seems* to help some of the time but I can't try that right now as it works just fine for my mom and shes in the middle of working

Also really weirdly, my phone finally does manage to connect to the router and works but then loses the connection after a while and goes back to the 'tries to connect but fails'

In a similar vein, my laptop usually works but commonly loses the connection for a few minutes before being able to re connect

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 30, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What's a good consumer router for their purposes that has a relatively high gain antenna, since they also have trouble getting wifi connections where they work, preferably under $75?

You can get a brand new "last gen" google wifi for $99 https://store.google.com/us/product/google_wifi

Looks like they are going for about $65-75 used & shipped on ebay

They are pretty much plug it in and forget about it

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

icantfindaname posted:

I’m getting an issue where my internet over both powerline and wifi will cut out periodically, for a short time usually, but reepating this for a long period now. The network will still be connected but the internet stops working. It’s hard to troubleshoot because the problem usually resolves within like 30 seconds or so, but it’s very irritating. What would normally be the cause of something like this? The modem, the router, or the wifi/powerline connection?

I would probably start with something hard wired to your router and setup some monitoring or PingPlotter or something and see if you see the issue there as well at the same time. Could also reveal a pattern that helps reveal the root cause.

At least then you isolate it to your modem & router. Next step would probably be barebacking it to the modem with the same monitoring and see if you hit the issue there as well

If you don't see it after those tests then start focusing more on the other components specifically

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

withoutclass posted:

What gateway is it?

Bgw320-505. First Ethernet port is 5gbE.

astral posted:

Is their ipv6 support still just 6rd?

Next to set up and look at - will advise.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is there any benefit to enabling IPv6 on my router? Like, is there any practical benefit from doing so at this point?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is there any benefit to enabling IPv6 on my router? Like, is there any practical benefit from doing so at this point?

well, for one, if you can avoid cgnat it's preferred, but no not really unless you're trying to deploy a bunch of users with no ip space in v4

i dont think it often hurts? I mean it's just another way to route to the same poo poo

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What's a good price on the HP T730 for a pfSense box? This one is $120 with free shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-T730-Th...IoAAOSwl69fUSuk but I'd need a power adapter for another $22 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-HP...OIAAOSws3xfE3UP and then a NIC for $25

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think most modern parts of the internet use ipv6 at this point

Maybe 10 years ago it might have been a problem for some devices, but the last time I ran into problems with it was at work in 2015 and really it was misconfiguration, not an actual routing bug

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I turned on IPv6 in my router, got an address from the ISP, and showed an IPv6 address assigned to my computer, but the IPv6 test site still showed me not having IPv6 working. I didn't see any effect on my speedtests, although I'm not sure that would be expected anyway. Should I have powercycled my modem and router even though the DHCP handoff appeared successful?

Does using IPv6 have an effect on security or attack surface, either positive or negative?

Should I see a difference in my connectivity using it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My ISP doesn’t even support IPV6 right now, and they switched to CGNAT last year. The biggest issue with that situation for me was Xbox live being very unhappy and I lost direct connection to my Plex server and home VPN server

I ended up ordering a static IP to address the connectivity issues.