Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Agrikk posted:

quick question:

I've seen these little clip things that hold 4,5,6,8 strands of cat-5 together in a flat, parallel configuration. I want to buy a couple for some cable runways here at home but I don't know what they are called to google them. It's the same kind of thingy that holds spark plug wires together in a car.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Yep, those are cable combs:
https://www.amazon.com/cable-combs/s?k=cable+combs

You can also 3D print cable runners like this:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1320948

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

quick question:

I've seen these little clip things that hold 4,5,6,8 strands of cat-5 together in a flat, parallel configuration. I want to buy a couple for some cable runways here at home but I don't know what they are called to google them. It's the same kind of thingy that holds spark plug wires together in a car.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Things like this

https://www.newark.com/pro-power/fc-50/clamp-ribbon-cable-50way/dp/25M9366

https://www.newark.com/essentra-components/fcw-50h-19/adhesive-cable-clamp-natural-nylon/dp/66AJ3675

?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
My Linksys mesh network is acting up. 2 nodes. One of them keeps going into red light mode after rebooting. The config page doesn’t show the 2nd node. The main node has 2 SSIDs. The main SSID and a guest one. For some reason nothing can get out to the internet on the main SSID but the guest one can get out. Sigh. I guess I’ll just reset these and start from scratch?

I don’t mind doing it just busy rn and people using the network so can’t interrupt

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

wolrah posted:

100% this, it's really easy to make an access point transmit strongly enough to be heard across a normal residence using high-gain antennas and turning up the power to the legal limits, but with the exception of desktop PCs you usually don't have the option to upgrade antennas nor the battery power to even consider high power levels. Even then pushing the limits of power tends to lead to lower signal quality so your increased range usually comes at the cost of performance.

Imagine you're trying to talk with people throughout your home. Most people reading this can probably yell hard enough to can be heard most everywhere, though it may be muffled and/or echoing in distant rooms causing trouble understanding and at the same time someone in the same room is likely to be uncomfortable. Others might be able to yell back loud enough for you to hear as well, but small children might not be audible. If two people at opposite ends of the house try to yell back at the same time they might not hear each other at all but you in the middle can't understand either of them as a result. Those problems are more or less the same problems that happen when you try to have a single central high-power access point handle everything.

Putting more smaller access points throughout the space and running them at lower power levels is instead like having individual conversations in each area. No one's having to yell to be heard, people on different sides of the house aren't interfering with each other, etc.

It's not a perfect analogy but it should get the point across. There's a reason in commercial radio the single big transmitter approach is limited to broadcasters and extremely localized or low traffic radio systems where cell phones and larger trunked radio networks use a bunch of smaller ones that get smaller and smaller the more densely populated an area is.
Yelling in a house isn’t the perfect analogy, because it isn’t accounting for time-sharing.
Imagine yelling in a house, but also needing to listen to what others (including in other houses) are yelling, so you can decide if it’s for you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wolrah posted:

Others might be able to yell back loud enough for you to hear as well, but small children might not be audible.

I think this is a perfectly serviceable analogy, but as a parent lol at the idea of not being able to hear a small child who wants to be heard.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Am I looking at the wrong vendors/places or do 5GBASE-T switches barely exist? I'm looking at moving to faster than gigabit, and I'd rather jump to 5 gigabit if possible over 2.5, as I assume client devices that want bandwidth will be heading there in the next few years anyway.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Am I looking at the wrong vendors/places or do 5GBASE-T switches barely exist? I'm looking at moving to faster than gigabit, and I'd rather jump to 5 gigabit if possible over 2.5, as I assume client devices that want bandwidth will be heading there in the next few years anyway.

Go for 10 GbE and embrace SFP+.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

astral posted:

This is the way.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah on the PHY side everyone just sort of got on the train of the x4 or /4 lane game with the 1/10/40/100 hardware. Just go straight to 10G, with OM3 if you're going far. I ask myself in what possible future would I ever need 40G to my living room and then I ignore that voice.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 26, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have a number of devices that will do 10GbE but not SFP, but I guess there are converters…

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

10gbe SFP+ cards can be had for $30 on eBay. I do not recommend using 10gbit copper SFP+.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

astral posted:

POE too useful. Mgig too common. Fiber a pain to deal with in walls. I still think "go fiber" is bad advice (except in the homelab thread maybe).

Cisco WS-C3850-12X48U-L down to $300 on Ebay if you have room for a noisy switch. That is:

48 ports of 60W POE
12 ports of 1/2.5/5/10 mgig for APs and desktops with mgig cards.
Up to 4 SFP+ ports on the add-in card for servers/other devices where fiber actually makes sense.

If fan noise is not palatable, Trendnet has 10/5/2.5/1 POE switches as well. There are just few that max out at 5gig.

KS fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 26, 2024

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

KS posted:

POE too useful. Mgig too common. Fiber a pain to deal with in walls. I still think "go fiber" is bad advice (except in the homelab thread maybe).

Cisco WS-C3850-12X48U-L down to $300 on Ebay if you have room for a noisy switch. That is:

48 ports of 60W POE
12 ports of 1/2.5/5/10 mgig for APs and desktops with mgig cards.
Up to 4 SFP+ ports on the add-in card for servers/other devices where fiber actually makes sense.

If fan noise is not palatable, Trendnet has 10/5/2.5/1 POE switches as well. There are just few that max out at 5gig.

I appreciate this and will look at Trendnet, I had not yet. It's not specifically that I want to max out at 5gig, but rather that I have a faulty mental model that 5gig should be significantly cheaper than 10gig.

I know that SFP+ (and SFP28 and 56) are king in the DC, but all sorts of random consumer devices have 2.5gig now and the backwards compatibility to gigabit / 2.5G is just too appealing. I assumed that now that everything has 2.5G we'll see 5G start to pop up more on devices, and ideally I buy one better switch rather than buying a 2.5G switch and then a 5G/10GBase-T switch later. Mobos all have 1 or 2 2.5G ports now, even the cheapest consumer NASes have 2.5G ports, WAPs, it's just all over and a big cheap SFP+ switch wouldn't help with that.

Don't a lot of the old/cheap enterprise 10G SFP+ NICs y'all are posting suck down a ton of energy and need airflow such that I'd have to zip-tie a little fan on them?

Edit: Those of you who put fiber in your own walls, did you buy or rent a fusion splicer?

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 26, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
My problem with going to 10G is that my house's Cat6 all terminates in a box mounted between two studs with approximately 21"x15" inside. The 3850s start at 17.7" deep, so they definitely wouldn't fit. A Catalyst 9200L would work (well, might work- plugging in cables would be tight) but it's a bit expensive still.

I'm currently using a MikroTik 24x1G + 2xSFP+ switch as the core, and with the use of a multi-gig SFP+ I can at least get 10G between the NAS in my wiring closet and my office. 2.5G/5G to the primary AP would be neat to play around with, but I'm getting PoE through a quad-port injector and I'm not sure if it could do >1G even if I had more multi-gig ports on the switch so I'd want the switch to do PoE as well ideally.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 26, 2024

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Don't a lot of the old/cheap enterprise 10G SFP+ NICs y'all are posting suck down a ton of energy and need airflow such that I'd have to zip-tie a little fan on them?

Not in my experience. They do use a few watts, but neither the intel or mellanox cards I have in use require extra cooling.

I run 10gbe point to point with a DAC cable between my fileserver and my workstation, the rest of my network is 1gbit, and WAN is only 500mbit, so I don't really see the point in mgig for my use case, at least not yet.

How much power does that Cisco switch use?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
According to the data sheet, the WS-C3850-12X48U uses right around 200W regardless of traffic load. Of course, PoE clients will add to that.

I guess that's another argument against it; if I look at the UPS right now which has my switch, PoE injector, and NAS they're only using around 165W combined.

e: As far as transceiver power load goes I haven't noticed anything of concern with fiber or DAC, but some of the 10GBase-T units do get very hot. I actually ended up adding a USB fan to put some direct airflow on my MikroTik switch because when I first tried 10G through the wall, the MikroTik multi-gig SFP+ got up to 90C. The switch on the other end of that link is unmanaged so I wasn't able to get a reading, but the SFP itself was too hot to grip.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 26, 2024

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, I would strongly recommend avoiding that Cisco switch unless you already have a sizeable homelab, and at that point it would probably be better to find an SFP+ switch and use DAC cables for all the servers, and a (dumb) 2.5/5gbit PoE switch for APs and poo poo.

10GBase-T SFPs are banned where I work (I'm a network engineer at a metro authority :v: ) for good reason.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Mine's using 170W with 5 POE APs attached, so that data sheet seems off.

Smaller switches:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/omada-switch-l3-l2-managed/tl-sg3210xhp-m2/
https://www.netgear.com/business/wired/switches/smart-cloud/ms510txup/

(That's assuming you want SFP+, there are cheaper options without)

I agree that avoiding 10GBASE-T SFPs is worth it -- which is why I question recommending SFP+ switches. I guess if you're going fiber everywhere it's great, but otherwise you end up with multiple switches for mgig or POE stuff.

KS fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 26, 2024

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Thanks for all the input, it's super helpful. I guess the short answer is "2.5G is all that makes sense right now on a limited dollars and power budget".

Since y'all brought up DC stuff... it's super unclear to me how the different standards are backwards compatible (or not). You can do 100GbE over 10x10G on QSFP+, 4x25G on QSFP28, 2x50G on QSFP56, or 1x100G on SFP-DD. If I was going to snipe some cheapo cast-off enterprise stuff to do a single high-speed link, is QSFP28 backwards compatible to 10x10G, or are each of these fully incompatible with each other?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Thanks for all the input, it's super helpful. I guess the short answer is "2.5G is all that makes sense right now on a limited dollars and power budget".

Since y'all brought up DC stuff... it's super unclear to me how the different standards are backwards compatible (or not). You can do 100GbE over 10x10G on QSFP+, 4x25G on QSFP28, 2x50G on QSFP56, or 1x100G on SFP-DD. If I was going to snipe some cheapo cast-off enterprise stuff to do a single high-speed link, is QSFP28 backwards compatible to 10x10G, or are each of these fully incompatible with each other?

The answer here is "it depends" sadly. Some switches support basically anything 100G -> 1G on a single port if you buy the right gizmos to go in the holes iirc. Others it's very limited. You would need to check on a switch by switch basis, and I know you're asking for specific examples but I don't know them. Just showing you how to research it. I find it very confusing as well. It's why I wound up buying a cheap as poo poo 24 port 1G switch from one of the shadiest companies around. Zyxel

https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/5xr2z0/qsfp_optics_on_qsfp28_ports_can_support_10g_sfp/

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
For another power consumption info all i've got right now is limited to only what i've got plugged into it at the moment:

150W covers, including the PoE loads powered through it:

The ONT
UXG-Pro
USW-Pro-24-PoE
US-8-60W
USW-Aggregation
USW-Flex
2x USW-Flex-Mini's
2x U6-Enterprise
3x UAP-AC-Pros
1x UAP-AC-Lite
UNVR
3x G5-Bullets
a NAS
an Arris NVG443B (relegated solely to a VLAN doing VOIP duty only.)
and a pihole

No 10GBase-T sucking up power, its all either DAC or OM3

So that Cisco switch looks like butt in comparison.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

M_Gargantua posted:

For another power consumption info all i've got right now is limited to only what i've got plugged into it at the moment:

150W covers, including the PoE loads powered through it:

The ONT
UXG-Pro
USW-Pro-24-PoE
US-8-60W
USW-Aggregation
USW-Flex
2x USW-Flex-Mini's
2x U6-Enterprise
3x UAP-AC-Pros
1x UAP-AC-Lite
UNVR
3x G5-Bullets
a NAS
an Arris NVG443B (relegated solely to a VLAN doing VOIP duty only.)
and a pihole

No 10GBase-T sucking up power, its all either DAC or OM3

So that Cisco switch looks like butt in comparison.

is the home you are networking a Holiday Inn

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wibla posted:

10gbe SFP+ cards can be had for $30 on eBay. I do not recommend using 10gbit copper SFP+.

Sure, but I can’t put a card in a Mac mini or a laptop, whereas they can do 10GbE RJ-45 (untested)

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I checked the data sheet again for that C3850 and the specific values given are limits at 0/10/100% traffic load. They don't say anything about how many ports are plugged in but it's probably all of them, which would definitely make a difference versus using just a few and having the rest shut down.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Cygni posted:

is the home you are networking a Holiday Inn

No I have more, its just on different circuits that I don't have a power monitor plugged into...

But to hate on 10G-BaseT some more, waste heat grows pretty linearly with Frequency. So they run hot thanks to physics. While TAM and DSQ coding does spread the symbol rate over a large spectrum utilization as you go from 1G to 10G the power densities get ugly. For 2.5G for example you'll have spectrum low points at 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz with alias's in between them, now you integrate power over all that it gets to be alot. 5G is 2x worse, and 10G is 4x. To the point where each 10G copper link eats up 3-10W.

Also 10G-BaseT adds like a 2us latency thanks to the encoding that fiber and DAC don't have to deal with.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Yelling in a house isn’t the perfect analogy, because it isn’t accounting for time-sharing.
Imagine yelling in a house, but also needing to listen to what others (including in other houses) are yelling, so you can decide if it’s for you.
Good point. I kind of touched on this when referencing two other parties who can hear you but not each other (aka the hidden node problem) but wasn't really explicit about it.

Subjunctive posted:

I think this is a perfectly serviceable analogy, but as a parent lol at the idea of not being able to hear a small child who wants to be heard.
Perhaps being able to understand the communication rather than just noisy interference might be a better analogy there. I'm not sure, I wanted to avoid that kind of interference enough that I had the ports disconnected.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Anyway, WiFi is a gently caress.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Anyway, WiFi is a gently caress.

that's RIGHT

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
About time we replace WiFi with private cellular networks anyways.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Ok friends name your favorite OpenVPN provider. I find myself in need of doing a little location hopping and have a Unifi UXG-Pro as my border device.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
WireGuard works seamlessly for me with my UXG-Pro, and any internal client I want to reroute out goes through Proton

But sounds like you want to route your entire network WAN through a VPN?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

WireGuard works seamlessly for me with my UXG-Pro, and any internal client I want to reroute out goes through Proton

But sounds like you want to route your entire network WAN through a VPN?

Yeah I'm lazy I either want to do the whole thing at once or maybe do policy-based routing if that's even a thing on Unifi. Right now it's for a specific one-time purpose, but going forward it'd be useful for, um, reasons.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So recently my ER-4 decided it wanted to forget about ever being associated with UISP, I couldn't get it to restore.

Maybe it's a particularly nasty cosmic ray strike and it blew out the specific NAND cell that stored the info, either way I guess the unit needed replacement because it wouldn't accept the blue LED no matter what I tried.

Managed to find a vendor that had the Cloud Gateway Ultra in stock and install was super easy.

All I did was was launch the iOS app and it did all the hard stuff first; it updated the firmware on the CGU first, then the firmware for the lite 60 switch, then the U6-LR, incredibly it upgraded all the firmwares to the stable versions and in the right order and I didn't have to enter anything except new names and pws..

The end result was that I noticed the CGU made everything, well, snappier..

And I lucked out on the display screen, didn't seem crooked..

Long story short, the Cloud Gateway Ultra is a good choice to stay in the Ubiquity ecosystem. Can't wait to take advantage of tailscale / quad core improvements

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 27, 2024

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Cloud gateway ultra just went back in stock. I managed to snag one.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

skipdogg posted:

Cloud gateway ultra just went back in stock. I managed to snag one.

Was weirdly still in stock so I ordered one for myself. I have gigabit internet and have never been able to do IDS/IPS on my ER-4. I might look at selling it after I get the UCG-Ultra.

Edit: There are still 427 in stock for anyone that needs one.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

god this blows posted:

Edit: There are still 427 in stock for anyone that needs one.

Nope, says CGUs are sold out as of 1:30 PM on UI's site.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Nope, says CGUs are sold out as of 1:30 PM on UI's site.

I edited it last night. I should’ve added a second edit.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Didn't realize that there's enough demand for 427 Ubiquiti routers to sell through in a day.. woof

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Not sure how people are getting counts but they’ve been selling out within hours if not minutes. I got 13 already and will be putting in another order soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Cyks posted:

Not sure how people are getting counts but they’ve been selling out within hours if not minutes. I got 13 already and will be putting in another order soon.

So to get the count you can change the quantity you want to a number like 9999 and add it to the cart. Go to the cart and it’ll tell you the number you can change it to.