Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Chortles posted:

As my D-Link DIR-601's apparently died, I'm looking at the EDIMAX BR-6228Ns. Yea or nay at ~$20?

Also, by "late model Linksys WRT54G devices with gimped memory," did the OP mean the WRT54GL specifically?

The WRT-54GL is actually a reissue of the older models before they humped the memory. It's also still $50, which is ridiculous. Get a modern router for the same price with better specs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
There's a $25 router in the op that actually works and appears to be running Tomato. Just pay the extra $2.

dumpieXL
Sep 7, 2007
redacks
So, I have a DD-WRT E2000 and my Windows computers are moody and don't wanna talk to each other. I'm gonna cry.

edit: Fixed. So use to XPs "just works" policy I didn't notice Vista/7 changing to public policies when connected to a new network. :downs:

dumpieXL fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 18, 2011

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Scaramouche posted:

Thanks for the infos guys, I figured as much but was hoping to not have to give him bad news. On the plus side he might be getting an angel investor involved who already has a dedicated coloc so it might be moot anyway.

Ha ha I read around some more and apparently heat was a problem with these things. I propped it on its side with the hot side (bottom) facing toward a window. Hasn't rebooted since. D-LINK IS SO GOOD. Not going to keep it long term but at least it's more sustainable now.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
It seems like the Linksys routers recommended in the OP have issues with heat. Any other recommendations for a DD-WRT/Tomato router that just plain works and works well? I sadly have to game over wireless :sigh:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
All Linksys routers (and my VoIP box) have issues with heat due to poor cooling design.

The netgear routers in the op work right out of the box. We've had good results with the 3500L and 3700 without having heat issues. You can try running dd-wrt on them if you want not that it'll change stability. They are listed as not supporting dd-wrt until I have confirmation.

The 3500L does 2.4 GHz wireless only and the 3700 is dual band.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I picked up a Netgear N600 WNDR3400 because my old Linksys crapped out due to summer heat and being a complete piece of poo poo. So far the Netgear router is a huge breath of fresh air compared to the Linksys, which was always a pain in the rear end even with DD-WRT, required a lot of manually going in and setting the wireless network up again every once in awhile because it would gently caress off back to some weird default setting or decide that AES wasn't all that and it wanted TKIP!

While it is not supported by third-party firmware, the interface on the WNDR3400 seems perfectly fine, it offers a lot of useful features and seems to be basically all I could want for a straightforward home network. I notice however that it is not the 3500, which has the advantage of being recommended while this does not. Do I have some kind of router time-bomb on my hands? Is it going to melt through the floor or something? I just wanted to pick up something that wasn't so god damned finicky and it seems to fit the bill. Not true?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
There is nothing wrong with the WNDR3400, in fact the specification was hot poo poo for many years. The reason it's not listed in the op is because it only goes up to 100 mbit/s wired. For most people this won't make a difference except gigabit is expected these days.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Ah, okay, that's no big deal at all. I was worried I'd really screwed the pooch on it, guess it's just an older product. I liked that the first thing it did was make sure the firmware was up to date. Screw Linksys, this is a much nicer router.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
I'm still running a WRT54GL with Tomato installed right now, but I'm considering upgrading to something that can provide me with easy Print Server/USB HDD support. I don't have any issues with signal strength anywhere throughout our home, so that isn't really a concern.

I was looking at the ASUS RT-N16 mentioned in the OP. If I install DD-WRT or Tomato onto that router, will the print server/USB HDD support still function? Or do you need to use the official ASUS firmware for that?

Also, I don't see my printer model mentioned on the list of supported printers that ASUS links to on the product page for the RT-N16. Is it just a toss up if it'll work, then?

Even though I know it would probably be more reliable to build a cheap machine to use as a print/NAS server, I'm not sure that I really want to spend the money on one or find a spot for it in my office.

pocket pool fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 18, 2011

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Devian666 posted:

There is nothing wrong with the WNDR3400, in fact the specification was hot poo poo for many years. The reason it's not listed in the op is because it only goes up to 100 mbit/s wired. For most people this won't make a difference except gigabit is expected these days.

Question, since I'm coming from a router that to my knowledge did not offer gigabit, it is logically unlikely for there to be a reduction in performance across my LAN when, e.g., transcoding with PS3MS or PlayOn, right? I am pretty sure I've seen utilization get up to 20mbits with very high quality settings, and with high-quality MKVs more like 50-60mbits... But that's fine, well within specifications, right?

Also, I picked up a bunch of wireless N USB adapters. Would I be better off going with Wireless N than with 100megabit LAN?

I love that this router has dual band and will run g devices and n devices simultaneously, it's... just a really great router and it was like $30 at Woot. Its QoS is killer, I can really precisely divvy up the bandwidth, and the quality of its hardware is so much nicer than my previous router. I'm actually getting quicker loading times for pages just browsing. That's freaky. My old router must have been pretty crap0.

Should I be at all concerned that the Netgear router doesn't take DD-WRT? I haven't read about any security vulnerabilities and the first thing it did when it hopped online was immediately check for newer firmware so clearly Netgear is pretty conscious of that compared to my older Linksys units. But then again DD-WRT was actually necessary to do half the stuff that the Netgear firmware takes care of, so...

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Agreed posted:

Question, since I'm coming from a router that to my knowledge did not offer gigabit, it is logically unlikely for there to be a reduction in performance across my LAN when, e.g., transcoding with PS3MS or PlayOn, right? I am pretty sure I've seen utilization get up to 20mbits with very high quality settings, and with high-quality MKVs more like 50-60mbits... But that's fine, well within specifications, right?

Also, I picked up a bunch of wireless N USB adapters. Would I be better off going with Wireless N than with 100megabit LAN?

I love that this router has dual band and will run g devices and n devices simultaneously, it's... just a really great router and it was like $30 at Woot. Its QoS is killer, I can really precisely divvy up the bandwidth, and the quality of its hardware is so much nicer than my previous router. I'm actually getting quicker loading times for pages just browsing. That's freaky. My old router must have been pretty crap0.

Should I be at all concerned that the Netgear router doesn't take DD-WRT? I haven't read about any security vulnerabilities and the first thing it did when it hopped online was immediately check for newer firmware so clearly Netgear is pretty conscious of that compared to my older Linksys units. But then again DD-WRT was actually necessary to do half the stuff that the Netgear firmware takes care of, so...

The thing you have to realize is, assuming you're using wide band on Wireless N (40mhz), and are getting the full ideal 300mbps, that's not duplex, so its effectively 150mbps each way (definitely oversimplifying, put down the pitchforks), and wired connections are going to have less latency because of how wireless works. The wired connection will be more reliable.

If you get acceptable performance over wireless, I wouldn't mess with it, but wired is preferable over wireless with all other things being equal. Remember, if you want gigabit, you can always get a separate switch, and all your wired devices will talk to each other at gigabit speeds. (You wireless devices talking to your gigabit devices will still be limited by the 100mbps connection, though).

DD-WRT is great because of the features not common in consumer based routers. On many devices it also makes them much more reliable. I'd say that the reliability of current routers on stock firmwares has come a great way since the mid 00s, so I wouldn't worry about not having DD-WRT unless you start wanting to do things not supported by your firmware.

Triikan fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 18, 2011

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I appreciate the info and I do understand what you mean (and I also catch where you're simplifying to make it more digestible for me, appreciate it :)). My LAN has worked swimmingly on 100megabit for a long time. Maybe my motherboard's Intel gigabit LAN connector is mopey that it can't blast 100MB/sec like it's nothing, but this is not a super intensive I/O scenario. Just my laptop, which is natively wireless N and going a hell of a lot faster now that I can use wireless N at full band rather than the Linksys' crap early version, and then I've got these USB adapters just because they were practically giving them away in a woot-off and I got a big box of 'em.

As far as firmware goes, previously on the Linksys I had to install DD-WRT because without it I had poo poo for control over its functionality, the NAT table would get clogged up over time, it didn't seem to understand scheduling especially well... Basically, it sucked, and DD-WRT made it suck less, albeit with stability issues that remained. Still, preferable to it just not working for some of my G devices.

The new router actually already has all of the DD-WRT features that I cared about, including what seems like an even more effective QoS (which I really like and can make use of), and it is just in general very clearly a superior product. I am concerned that perhaps DD-WRT's firewall might have been better, but I don't know that for sure; I am guessing that Netgear wouldn't be in the recommended list despite poor third-party firmware support if their stock capabilities were poo poo.

I may play around with the Wireless N to see what I think about it, we'll see. I don't do online competitive gaming, I might crack open this box of Wireless N USB adapters and see what a house with no CAT5e feels like, but in any case I feel like I've got a thorough handle on what the router can do and what I should keep in mind. Thanks very much.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Triikan posted:

DD-WRT is great because of the features not common in consumer based routers. On many devices it also makes them much more reliable. I'd say that the reliability of current routers on stock firmwares has come a great way since the mid 00s, so I wouldn't worry about not having DD-WRT unless you start wanting to do things not supported by your firmware.

In relation to the op the flash your routers applies to every router except the netgear routers and the monoprice one.

Agreed I have had a very similar experience with linksys routers but the problems only really started becoming noticeable when New Zealand started catching up with the rest of the world for broadband speeds. I hope your wireless solution works out for you. Don't forget to try inSSIder with a laptop to see what the signal strength is like if you have any issues (note a weak signal may still be high quality though).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

pocket pool posted:

I'm still running a WRT54GL with Tomato installed right now, but I'm considering upgrading to something that can provide me with easy Print Server/USB HDD support. I don't have any issues with signal strength anywhere throughout our home, so that isn't really a concern.

I was looking at the ASUS RT-N16 mentioned in the OP. If I install DD-WRT or Tomato onto that router, will the print server/USB HDD support still function? Or do you need to use the official ASUS firmware for that?

Also, I don't see my printer model mentioned on the list of supported printers that ASUS links to on the product page for the RT-N16. Is it just a toss up if it'll work, then?

Even though I know it would probably be more reliable to build a cheap machine to use as a print/NAS server, I'm not sure that I really want to spend the money on one or find a spot for it in my office.

There appears to be USB support. The supported devices list for the N16 includes 2 x USB 2.0. Check this page to see what is needed to get USB running.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB_storage#USB_storage

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
edit: This was originally a question on Ubiquiti's product line, but now that I've gotten more detail on the distances I think just a regular N connection might be enough.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 19, 2011

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I can't find the old post your spectrum thread, so I figure this is my next best bet. Just moved into a new place recently and am going to get my network up and running shortly (internet coming tomorrow, probably am going to do a few drops from the attic, along with cable (this place was wired by an rear end in a top hat). I decided to take a peek at whats going on in the airwaves...

I only use wireless for laptops that are used for surfing the interwebs, but jeez, and the 5ghz band is completely empty. I have checked a few times, depending on where I am in my townhome, I have seen up to 21 APs.

Pussy Gaz0re
Nov 18, 2011

Good job blocking those mac addresses Moey. You never know what these hacker internet "gently caress-heads" are capable of.

You probably saved a life tonight.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

If only we got the first 6 characters so we could see who the manufacturer was.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Could really care less. Most of the people on here who are not mouth-breathers already know where I am from. I also learned a lesson from not blacking out things.

edit: my drunk posts blow, not sure why I blacked those out.

Moey fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 19, 2011

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Installed DD-WRT Mini on this E1000 V2. Just wanted to say that it seems to work pretty durn well, there's not much signal contention in the first place, but it seems to have good range through the walls and give me a solid 20mbps over the air to the net (only one PC, so no throughput test).

Is the 40(m?)hz spread a wireless N feature? It doesn't seem to do a thing when I enable it. I couldn't find any info on how big of a power boost people have put on particular routers, is that a thing?

I also wanted to show off my pro ice setup.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Thoom posted:

I think I'm going to try to pick up the RB1000 the gentleman is selling in SAMart.

Just wanted to give a quick update on this. I'm up and running. The RB1000 can't quite handle a gigabit -- it hits 100% CPU around 750Mbits, but that's probably close enough seeing that nothing out there will actually push a Gbit to me for the foreseeable future. I do find it kind of puzzling that it can't handle the speed as well as the Cisco TES-301 that Google provisioned me, but at least it won't crash all the god drat time.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Thoom posted:

Just wanted to give a quick update on this. I'm up and running. The RB1000 can't quite handle a gigabit -- it hits 100% CPU around 750Mbits, but that's probably close enough seeing that nothing out there will actually push a Gbit to me for the foreseeable future. I do find it kind of puzzling that it can't handle the speed as well as the Cisco TES-301 that Google provisioned me, but at least it won't crash all the god drat time.

Your results are pretty close to what the official performance numbers are when using 512 byte packets.

The TES-301 looks like it's just a home gateway that offers NAT and nothing else. It's fast because it's probably just doing hardware NAT and doesn't have a firewall, queuing, SPI or other features that require every packet to be inspected and passed through a processing chain.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Any idea when we'll start seeing cheap/integrated 10G for the consumer?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Sometime around when holography over skype becomes a reality for the common consumer.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Just for perspective, to saturate a 10Gbit connection with a file server, you would need about 4 top-end SSDs all going doing reads at full steam. Assuming your motherboard's storage controller could even handle that, that is. You could almost run a graphics card over ethernet with that kind of bandwidth.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Thoom posted:

Just for perspective, to saturate a 10Gbit connection with a file server, you would need about 4 top-end SSDs all going doing reads at full steam. Assuming your motherboard's storage controller could even handle that, that is. You could almost run a graphics card over ethernet with that kind of bandwidth.

Yeah but it's not like there's any good options in between 1G and 10G in the consumer space is there?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah but it's not like there's any good options in between 1G and 10G in the consumer space is there?

Most consumers couldn't even saturate 1Gbit more than very occasionally, especially since so many devices are wireless and therefore confined to the 50-300Mbit range.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Thoom posted:

Most consumers couldn't even saturate 1Gbit more than very occasionally, especially since so many devices are wireless and therefore confined to the 50-300Mbit range.

Well I'm not talking about your average consumer but towards the extreme end of what would technically be considered 'consumer'. For instance, small businesses that cannot afford enterprise level networking. Independent/Freelance digital content creators, etc.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Just a final trip report, every device in the house works with the Netgear router like they were made for eachother. I don't get the weird interference with my phone, either, and no bluetooth compatibility issues. I can have two 100mbit LAN connections, my laptop going full-bandwidth N with ~50ms ping (not bad at all) and pulling down my max internet connection speed, and two wireless G devices at the same time without any hassle or trouble.

I have no idea what it is that makes this so dramatically superior, but there is a 100% chance that I'll be picking up Netgear and avoiding Linksys products for my home networking needs in the future.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Shaocaholica posted:

Well I'm not talking about your average consumer but towards the extreme end of what would technically be considered 'consumer'. For instance, small businesses that cannot afford enterprise level networking. Independent/Freelance digital content creators, etc.

If you can afford hardware that can saturate 10Gb then you can afford the networking gear.

Agreed posted:

Just a final trip report, every device in the house works with the Netgear router like they were made for eachother. I don't get the weird interference with my phone, either, and no bluetooth compatibility issues. I can have two 100mbit LAN connections, my laptop going full-bandwidth N with ~50ms ping (not bad at all) and pulling down my max internet connection speed, and two wireless G devices at the same time without any hassle or trouble.

I have no idea what it is that makes this so dramatically superior, but there is a 100% chance that I'll be picking up Netgear and avoiding Linksys products for my home networking needs in the future.

I sure hope those 50ms ping times are over the internet and not just over the air.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Just the ping coming from a java based speed test, server 500 miles away or more. Saturates the bandwidth, too. But, god, no, that's total ping (plus some likely overhead for the fact that I just used a speed test to check it), not one-way communication latency to the router itself.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Longinus00 posted:

If you can afford hardware that can saturate 10Gb then you can afford the networking gear.

Well I don't really think you need to be able to saturate it before you need it. What if you're running at full saturation of 1G with just a few machines but still shy of 10G?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Shaocaholica posted:

Well I don't really think you need to be able to saturate it before you need it. What if you're running at full saturation of 1G with just a few machines but still shy of 10G?

Bonded 1Gb ports?

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 21, 2011

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Longinus00 posted:

Bonded 1Gb ports?
Yeah, you can do that - although if you're going to go more than 4 or so then it starts making more sense to just get 10G.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, you can do that - although if you're going to go more than 4 or so then it starts making more sense to just get 10G.

So link aggregation with 1G works up to 4? Can you get 4x1G NICs cheaper than 10G NICs?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Shaocaholica posted:

So link aggregation with 1G works up to 4? Can you get 4x1G NICs cheaper than 10G NICs?

The cheapest 10G NIC on newegg is about 500 bucks. A 1G NIC is about :10bux:.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Thoom posted:

The cheapest 10G NIC on newegg is about 500 bucks. A 1G NIC is about :10bux:.

I meant a 4x1G NIC as in 4 1G ports on a single NIC and supports link aggregation..

Edit: Ok, there's a few on newegg for ~$250 but I can't tell if they support link aggregation (802.3ad?).

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 21, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Shaocaholica posted:

I meant a 4x1G NIC as in 4 1G ports on a single NIC and supports link aggregation..

Edit: Ok, there's a few on newegg for ~$250 but I can't tell if they support link aggregation (802.3ad?).

In linux you can do it in a driver.
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/bonding

Or do you only have 1 slot free or something?

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Link aggregation/LACP won't improve the performance of one client to one server communication (unless a layer 4 hashing algorithm is used, available on some switches, and multiple connections are created between the client and server). It's useful for one-to-many, many-to-many, and redundant connections, though.