Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I'm curious as to why buffalo isn't mentioned in the OP. Are they still banned from selling in the US? My buffalo at home has been rock solid for 4 years now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I think it's time for an upgrade - but I wanted to ask here first before dropping $150 (or more?) on a new router.

I've got a BUFFALO WHR-HP-G54. I got it 4 years ago, slapped Tomato on it, and haven't had to touch it since. Rock-loving-solid. However, it's only G, which I think means it's a bit slow. Never really noticed as most stuff that mattered was hardwired.

Now - we've decided to cut cable TV and switch to streaming only - and it seems my poor Buffalo is having trouble keeping up. I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment (NYC) with masonry walls (i.e., not drywall). It's basically a large rectangle with a kitchen and a bathroom separating the router (in the living room) from the bedroom. That means the signal is effectively pushing through 3 masonry walls to get to the bedroom. We recently picked up a Roku for streaming in the bedroom and I don't think it's getting a consistent signal. It will say "Excellent signal" - and then drop connection or buffer a few seconds later.

One solution I've thought of would be to relocate the router so it has direct line of sight to the bedroom (via the hallway). However, that doesn't really work with the layout I've got and I would have cables running everywhere across the apartment so I'm trying to avoid that.

Would upgrading to an N or AC router help? Specifically I'm thinking of the ASUS RT-N66U (or it's more expensive AC brother ASUS RT-AC66U). My thought is that it's probably time to upgrade anyway but I don't want to spend the money if it won't solve my problem. Also - do I jump on AC now? Or do I just stick with the N (knowing that I don't plan to upgrade again for another 4-5 years if I can avoid it).

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Dogen posted:

It's not so much a protocol problem as it is a signal strength problem. Getting a newer router with better antenna design might help with that, but honestly 3 masonry walls is asking a lot. Getting AC equipment doesn't do anything for you unless you have AC clients.

Since you said you cut the cable, I assume you have coax outlets where the router is and where the roku is now? Consider sticking with your old router and adding moca to your setup, perhaps?

What if I got a new router and used the Buffalo as a repeater?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What do you guys think of the Almond? Or the new Airport Extreme?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Hello thread. I've had a TP Link Archer C7 for a few years now. I've noticed the 5G is pretty spotty at best (i.e., device is connected but can't get to the internet) and it seems to be choking on connections (sometimes dropping devices). We have ~15 devices connected - 3 of which are via Ethernet.

It's a small-ish 2 bed apartment (1k square ft) though the walls are plaster/concrete so anything outside the living room where the router is has some trouble anyway. Our complex has it's own internet connection - not through one of the big boy providers. It's fast though - google clocked it at 229 Mbps down, 214 Mbps up (depends on how many people in the complex are concurrently streaming). I also don't need a cable modem - this just connects through an ethernet port on the wall.

I'm looking at upgrading the router. I'd really like something that can handle this many devices and have the 5G band work well. It also needs to have at least 4 ethernet ports. I was looking at Ubiquiti but saw there's been some concerns in the thread? Also there's a shitload of products so I'm a little lost as to where to start.

Thank you.

e: would this be a good idea? https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/unifi-dream-machine

Lowness 72 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Possibly a related issue but my Chromebook will not download from Google play over 5G. Everything else works just fine. This is with a TP Link C7 I think. I found a random thread that basically described it as an issue specific to Chromebooks but maybe try disabling 5g on that router and see if that fixes it?