Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Is there any trick to setting up an Archer C9? I just replaced my ancient buffalo G router with one and the speeds across all devices (iphones, tablets, pc's etc) seem slower across the board. I'm not in a wifi-congested area, but could I be on a subpar channel? I am using the default settings right now. Also, Is there any benefit to having both 2.4 and 5ghz channels running? Should I just stick to the 2.4 since I'm not competing with a ton of networks? Sorry if this has been covered a ton.

edit: I have 15mbps TW cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Antillie posted:

If any of your devices support the 5ghz band there is no reason not to use it. If you set the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi networks to the same SSID and encryption settings then client devices will move between them as needed. Apple devices in particular are very good about this. Most other devices do it fine too but there are a few out there that are stupid about it. Even if you aren't in a super congested area there still may be other 2.4ghz networks around. Fire up a wifi scanner on a laptop or smartphone and see which of the three "good" channels, 1, 6, and 11, looks the most unused and use that one.
The strange thing is my desktop, which has a wireless N PCI-e adapter, seems to run noticeably faster on the 2.4...

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Antillie posted:

Well the 5ghz band has a much harder time penetrating walls and other solid objects. So depending on the layout of the area sometimes the "slower" 2.4ghz band actually provides better performance.
Yes, this makes sense. However, I don't understand why my other devices are running so much slower than on the old router. I'll look into changing the channel. Anything else? I shouldn't need to run DD-WRT or anything like that at this point, correct?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I have an Archer C9 AC1900 that doesn't quite cover my ~2000sq ft home. I actually have 2 of them, with one acting as a repeater, but it constantly drops its connection and needs to be reset (like every couple of days). I'm happy with the speed but I would just like something with additional range, ideally with a single router solution. Every router I read reviews on has like 10-20% 1-star reviews which is making it hard for me to decide what direction to go. Will anything out there on the market give me a significant upgrade in range? TIA.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

Honestly you pretty squarely fit in with what Ubiquiti stuff does best. You could look at an Orbi or something like that’s, but either getting 2 Unifi access points and either a USG or an edgerouter gives you a lot of flexibility in the future and will work well now. You might even get away with just one access point depending on where it’s placed

So something like a single ASUS AC3200 router isn't necessarily likely to significantly increase my range? It's pretty much mesh or bust?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I'll try that, thanks.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I'm having trouble finding the answer on my own. If I have two TP-LINK Archer C9 AC1900 routers and the second one is configured as an access point, will wireless devices pass seamlessly from one to another without disconnecting if the network names and passwords are the same? Do I need a mesh network to accomplish this?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Thank you both very much for the speedy replies. My understanding of the setup is login to the 2nd router, change it to AP mode, change the IP address to an unused one on my domain, and turn off DHCP. I previously had WDS bridging mode on when it was acting as a wireless repeater, and I'm guessing I should turn that off?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Yup, turn WDS bridging mode off. I'd be shocked if AP mode didn't automatically turn off WDS bridging, DHCP server. For the IP, if it's easier for you to administer you can give it a static address, otherwise a DHCP address is fine.

:worship: I'll try this tonight, thanks again

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Sad Panda posted:

Oh really? I had thought say if you have your router and a couple of disparate WAPs that you would give them different names because it's not proper mesh and therefore won't handle the transition properly and by having 3 different SSIDs you can tell it when to move? If I'm wrong I'll happily change them all to the same one and see if it improves matters.

Got my two routers (one as an AP) up and running with the same SSID's. My clients do transition from one to the other but it isn't always perfect. It seems to hang onto the farther away, poorer connection a long time before switching to the closer one, if it all. YMMV.

Semi-related, when I was setting everything up, I had to do a rest on both routers due to some TP-LINK weirdness. Today I noticed that somehow the access PIN number for the Plex server that I run from this network was changed. I went in and changed the password and PIN, but could someone have pwned my network while the routers had the default admin/admin logins for a few minutes?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Klyith posted:

With default settings any recent home router will only allow the admin/admin access password for the web UI through the LAN side ethernet connection. Via wifi you have to use the WPS access code, and on the WAN side you can't do anything.

Still possible that something inside your network got compromised, but if nothing else besides Plex is different I'd look elsewhere first. Your Plex account might have been hacked if you are reusing passwords or other bad security practices.

Thanks. I changed all the things. Still pretty disconcerting though.

In other networking news I found a guy on craigslist selling a couple Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PR's for pretty cheap. Will those provide me with signficantly better range than the TP-LINK AC1900 C9 archers? Even with the second one set up successfully as an access point I'm still not getting the coverage I would like. My house is a 2000sq ft raised ranch, I don't know why I'm having so much difficulty getting full coverage.

edit: Another stupid question: should the access point's wifi signals be on different channels? If so, which ones should I use? Would the Ubiquiti AP's figure this stuff out on their own or will I need even more expertise to get them running correctly?

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 7, 2019

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Just ordered a couple TP-LINK EAP245 V3's since they were significantly cheaper than the Ubiquiti equivalent and might be a little more user friendly. Will update with a review once I have them up and running. I hope to cover my 2000sq ft home as well as most of the 1.4 acre property.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

If my AP's support band steering should I name my 2.4 and 5ghz networks the same SSID? Or should I leave them separate and let the clients decide which one to connect to?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

Unless you have a specific reason to separate bands onto their own SSID(s), always assign the same SSID and let your clients decide which one to join.

Thanks I'll try this. Why don't routers do this by default?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Doesn't work out how exactly? What router/AP's were you using?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I got my pair of EAP245 V3's in and honestly I'm a little underwhelmed. For testing purposes I set them up near to my existing Archer C9 routers (one as router, one as AP) and if anything their signal strength is slightly weaker than the C9's. I've been using NetSpot on a laptop go survey the signals. I was at least planning on replacing the C9 AP with one of the EAP's, but now I'm thinking about returning one and using a 3 node setup.

The main weak spot in my coverage remains the garage on the basement level of my 1960's raised ranch. The signal seems to not like going through the cinder blocks between it and the finished basement. Would I be better off putting an AP above the garage (there are 2 bedrooms above it)?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I've been running into an issue with clients (iOS devices) sporadically losing their connection since I added two access points to my network. What happens is the wifi signal strength still looks fine but the app being used will stop getting data (for example, reddit will stop scrolling or loading comments). This is without moving the clients around. The network consists of an Archer C9 AC1900 main router with two EAP245 V3 AC1750 access points positioned in a bit of a triangle throughout my home. There is some overlap in coverage but all bands are on different channels and everything is on the same SSID name/password (2.4 and 5ghz included). This happens in the living room, for example, which never had issues when it was just the AC1900 main router. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this? Thanks.

edit: toggling wifi off and on gets the connection working again.

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 1, 2019

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

In the past I've run into issues with running access points with differing wifi capabilities on the same SSID. Either disable the wifi on the AC1900, or move it to a different SSID and see if that resolves your issues.

Thanks. I will try that!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

In the past I've run into issues with running access points with differing wifi capabilities on the same SSID. Either disable the wifi on the AC1900, or move it to a different SSID and see if that resolves your issues.

I moved the AP's to a different SSID and seemed to still be getting the same issue in mobile safari. Could the main router having both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands on the same SSID (with no band steering) be a problem?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Just to verify, when you said that each AP is on a different channel, you are using non-overlapping channels, right? (1, 6, and 11 on 2.4ghz, 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161 for 5ghz.)

If you want to see if it's just one band having the problem, having different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5ghz would allow you to test that.

Do you have any other devices that might also be using 2.4ghz? Baby monitors, cordless phones, etc? Or a particularly old microwave?

Yes, non-overlapping. No other 2.4 devices I can think of, the microwave isn't particularly old. I'm going to try putting an AP where the router is now and turning off its wifi to see if that solves it.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Just to verify, when you said that each AP is on a different channel, you are using non-overlapping channels, right? (1, 6, and 11 on 2.4ghz, 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161 for 5ghz.)

If you want to see if it's just one band having the problem, having different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5ghz would allow you to test that.

Do you have any other devices that might also be using 2.4ghz? Baby monitors, cordless phones, etc? Or a particularly old microwave?

Turning off the router's wifi and replacing it with an access point seems to have resolved my issue. Now that I've got it up and running I'm quite happy with TP-LINK's access point offerings. I got two indoor AC1750 and one outdoor AC1200 AP's for just over $250.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Yep the tri-band is with the router. I'm looking at the network remotely via the App and I don't see a way to set two SSIDs. Wifi mode is in Mixed. It looks like most of the devices are connected via 2.4Ghz meaning they're only getting N speeds. I found this thread saying that the devices should auto connect to the "best" broadcast https://community.linksys.com/t5/Velop-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi/How-to-change-wifi-mode-from-mixed-to-ac-and-change-the-channel/td-p/1160009 It does look like via a browser I can setup both SSIDs and then just force everything to connect to the AC 5Ghz one.

Shouldn't N be fast enough to never buffer on netflix or similar?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I posted a while back that I was installing some of TP-LINK's access points (EAP-245 v3 and EAP-225 outdoor) and I've been thrilled with them so far, after disabling my router's wifi. They are significantly cheaper than the ubiquiti equivalents ($88 for the 245's and $78 for the 225)and were a breeze to set up with the windows based omada cloud software controller. I'm not a power user by any stretch so I can't speak to some of the more advanced features that may be present on ubiquiti systems but for the average to above-average home user, these meet all my needs (fast roaming, for example). My old archer C9 router has its wifi switched off and only handles the routing for the 3 AP's. With one 245 in the main living area, one 245 in my garage corner on the other side of the house and the one outdoor 225 outside my back porch I have seamless 5ghz coverage that maxes out my 400mbit connection. This is for a ~2000sq ft home on ~1.5 acres of property.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

I think what I’m looking for is a mesh network. I want to create a seamless wireless network in my house with a single SSID. Running ethernet isn’t an option but I do have coax in several rooms (it’s an older house so it’s RG59 coax).

What the preferred mesh network setup? I was looking at the Netgear Orbi and Orbi PRO but there seems to be a lot of issues with random disconnects and long-standing problems with the firmware. I’ve had Ubiquiti suggested to me but how user friendly is it?

I’m definitely not a networking expert and I’m not looking to do anything fancy with the network. I just want something reliable and fast (as fast as a wifi connection can realistically be). I don’t mind spending money on good hardware, I just don’t want to buy something and then have no idea how to set up or configure it properly.

Eero, Orbi, or Deco on the cheaper end.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

Well, after a few days of testing and googling, it seems like the current firmware on the Spectrum-provided Askey RAC2V1K is just hosed and won't work with any wifi extender. What is a good, cheap router that can provide adequate wifi signal to an extender about ~20 feet away horizontally and on one floor higher in a house?

Any of the TP-LINK routers in the OP should work in this case. If you end up needing more range their Deco mesh line is very affordable.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

teagone posted:

Could use some advice, please! One of my family members has a ~1600 sq foot home and the wifi setup they have is pretty bad. They're renting a modem/router combo from Comcast—he told me it's the xFi Advanced Gateway: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/broadband-gateways-userguides and it's the only device supplying wifi for the entire home (2 floors, plus full basement).

The modem/router is on 1st floor, tucked away in their den where their family PC is. The den is on the far left side of house. As such, the wifi signal for devices in the basement and on the 2nd floor take a huge hit. My first thought was to just drill holes to fish ethernet cables to the 2nd floor and basement from the den and attach some APs to the ends of them. Is that the best idea? Would one of those whole home wifi mesh solutions be better? He's down for drilling, but if there's a much simpler/easier/more convenient solution that can get stronger wifi throughout his house, I'm all ears :)

Try mesh first, and if that isn't good enough, hard wire the nodes in.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

LLSix posted:

I'm wondering if it is worth buying a new 802.11ac wireless router or access point in my situation

Yes.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

teagone posted:

How do those wifi mesh-kits-in-a-box work?
Well.

teagone posted:

Do the nodes need to be in line of sight from one another?
No.

teagone posted:

I'd presumably put one node on each floor, but since they're wireless, isn't that similar to just plugging in wireless extenders all over the house? I've never had a good experience with those.
They work better than extenders.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

teagone posted:

I ask, because Comcast offered him a mesh solution called xPods to work with his gateway, but I was reading elsewhere that the pods needed to be in line of sight in order to get good speeds. Maybe it's just the xPods suck lol.

Can anyone recommend a good mesh solution for a 1600sq ft home with 2 floors and a full basement?

Eero, Orbi, or Deco on the cheaper end. They do have to be close enough to talk to each other. Not quite line of sight, though. You can start with 2 or 3 nodes and add more as needed if they do not provide sufficient coverage, or if you have to move them closer together.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

ickna posted:

1.05*warranty_period

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

What is high end? Cause I'm tired of this poo poo :)

It's not high end, and is actually priced underneath Ubiquiti, but I've been completely satisfied with my tp-link access points and controller. I've had multiple power outages and never had an issue.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

shrike82 posted:

What's a good gigabit ethernet router that I can stuff in a closet alongside my fiber modem? I'd like to use it to route wired ethernet to other rooms thru 4-ports running from the closet.
Right now, the modem is connected via ethernet to a mesh router sitting in the living room.

Wifi is fine but I'd like ethernet for game streaming from my studyroom gaming desktop to my living room TV.
Also, if I place a router in the closet and leave the mesh router in the living (switched to AP mode) - that should work?

I think you just need a switch after the mesh router. Does it have any Ethernet ports on it?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/t/13785983

How’s this as a low cost option for family members? Is Netgear verboten these days?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

My AC1900 Archer C9 has been absolutely rock solid for me for years now. After moving to a bigger house I added 3 TP-LINK EAP access points (2 indoor, 1 outdoor - overkill) and turned off the router's wifi. With the free cloud controller it's the poor man's ubiquiti setup. Would recommend.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

My electrician ran ethernet for not very much money but did not do the terminations. I got like $30 in tools and figured it out from youtube in less than an hour. It's really not hard, just a little tedious.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Does anyone have a recommendation for a router for my network for 3 TP-LINK access points? I've been using an AC1900 Archer C9 but it randomly stopped working today until I reset it (power cycle would not fix) and I'm afraid it's about to give up the ghost. I don't need any wireless capability since I the access points take care of that (I have both radios disabled on the C9). Are mikrotik routers user friendly enough for someone with only beginner level networking knowledge? TIA

edit: I realized my C9 router went down after I rebooted a win10 machine that is connected via ethernet to it when it lost its internet connection. Could this be the cause?

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 15, 2020

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

smax posted:

A Ubiquiti ER-X might fit the bill. Not the most user-friendly thing out there, but for simple setups they are easy to get going and work very well.

Do those play well with TP-LINK AP's? Does it matter?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

smax posted:

No experience with TP-Link APs, but I don’t see a reason why it wouldn’t work.

I actually have 2 spare ER-Xs laying around, if you’re interested one could be yours for $40. I can put a basic setup on it to hopefully get you running without too much fuss.

OK. I'll take one for a backup. I don't have PM's so can you email me at willdocoffee on the ubiquitous service that starts with a G? Thanks!

edit: payment sent

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 16, 2020

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

TP-link Omada line is inexpensive and does handoff. I have 3 and they have been flawless. I’ve been championing them in this thread for a while but the ubiquity bros are hard to be heard over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Thoom posted:

Trying to decipher some of the marketing about roaming/handoff. The TP-Link Omada says it uses 802.11k and 802.11v for handoff, whereas Ubiquiti's support page talks about 802.11r.

But I can find no information about client support for any of these protocols, since they don't seem to be a mandatory part of WiFi certification. Is there any way to tell if a device supports any given subset of these protocols without just trying it out, and what's the downfall if they don't? If I take my Switch or tablet across the house, will I still have to toggle WiFi to convince it to talk to a closer AP?

My Omada gear does not have 802.11r but with fast roaming and forced disassociation on all of my devices handoff seamlessly to the closest AP as I move around the house. I have 2 245’s and one 225 outdoor.

I also am a networking noob and I found the Omada cloud setup very easy and user friendly. From what I’ve read ubiquity is more difficult, but I don’t have direct experience with that.