Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

headcase posted:

Real sorry for the sudden bombardment of posts here. I think I'm honing in on a solution. It turns out I would like a switch in both locations too. How do y'all feel about this?

ATT fiber
-> UDM in my battlestation/office in the front of the house where the fiber comes in.
-> Straight run Ethernet cable to the back of my house
-> Another UDM
-> Ethernet to Console/OLEDTV
-> my wife's office it about 20 feet away (wireless).

Do I need a crossover between devices or is straight fine?

This is basically exactly what I have now except both devices are ubiquiti instead of 20 year old linksys and 12 year old airport. I priced a nano and managed switch and the price isn't much different.

I don't know if you could use 2 UDM on the same network, but you could do
ATT fiber
-> UDM in my battlestation/office in the front of the house where the fiber comes in.
-> Straight run Ethernet cable to the back of my house
-> A $29 Flex Mini and whatever access point you want plugged into the Flex Mini
And then
-> Ethernet from the Flex Mini to Console/OLEDTV
-> my wife's office it about 20 feet away (wireless).

You would be looking at a little over $500 if my math is correct for a 3 devices. $300 for the UDM, $179 for a Flex HD or a nanoHD access point, and $29 for the Flex Mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

See if putting the pihole IP in the primary and secondary DNS servers makes it work.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

tuyop posted:

Just a quick question here. I have a pihole and an old 10/100 switch. I've run out of gigabit ports so I'm looking to move stuff over to the slow switch like my printer and other slow things. Can the pihole do without gigabit ethernet or will it slow down the whole network?

You can definitely do Pi-hole on 10/100. I run it on that and it runs perfectly fine with PiVPN and PiAware running as well.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

Does the dream machine pro do PoE? I didn't see that it did, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if I missed it since I'm not really their target demographic. If it does, then it seems like a no-brainer.

It does not do PoE. Have to get a switch or use an injector. I wish it had a few for APs or even 1.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

I've been looking into UniFi for my house to have a bit more control and because my network appears to hate Comixology and Audible for some reason and won't let my tablet speak to them, a problem nobody else on my ISP has.

Is there a guide to a minimum basic setup for somebody who probably only needs one AP? Although I do have eight ethernet ports going from my router to devices around my house, so I probably need a switch for that, although maybe getting the switch from UniFi is overkill.

I have a UDM Pro as the router/switch and a Flex HD for the AP. The UDM pro has 8 ports but one would be used for the AP so it leaves you with 7. It has been pretty solid so far and I haven't really had any issues with it.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

sausage king of Chicago posted:

I know nothing about networking or know enough to feel confident that my approach is the best or at least good, so I apologize in advance for a question that has probably been asked 1000 times.

I'm going to be out of town for a few weeks, possibly longer, and would like to be able to connect to my home desktop computer while I'm away. From what I've been reading, it seems like a good way to go about doing this is to set up a vpn server on my at home computer, that way when I'm traveling I can vpn into my network and just rdp into my desktop computer. Does that sound right? If so, where would I start? Do I just find something like Wireguard or OpenVpn, install it on my computer (assuming it's somewhat easy to set up) and then go to a coffee shop and see if I can connect?

Does it make sense to run the vpn server on my actual desktop, or would I be better off running it on like a raspberry pi with piVPN or an old laptop or something?

Not sure if it matters, but my modem/router is the C4000xg here: https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/greenwave-c4000.html

I would install PiVPN on your raspberry pi and set it up with wireguard. Port forward the right port on your router, make the profiles for your devices, and then test it on your cell phone and see if it works before you go.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

PBCrunch posted:

I have an opnSense box deployed at my brother's house as a router. He has cable and a good (for US at least) internet package (1 Gbps/30 Mbps). I would like to be able to watch the cable he pays for from my house in the fall (college football). If I made a VPN that makes traffic look like it comes from his house I would probably be able to use the cable company's TV app (Cox Contour), right? I've asked him about this arrangement and he says he is fine with it.

Second option: put an HDMI splitter on the cable box connected to the TV that he uses to watch football. I would be stuck watching the same game he watches, but that is better than only having access to CBS/ABC broadcasts (I don't like Notre Dame (NBC) and Fox doesn't come in over the antenna at my house). This would involve an HDMI splitter, a USB capture device, and probably running opnSense (for routing) and some Linux flavor (for streaming the input from HDMI) in some kind of host OS, right? I don't think I would necessarily need to set up VPN for this, would I?

I think you are going to run into a problem with the upload speed for your second option. I have an HD Homerun with my antenna and on 40Mbps upload and it doesn't run very well. Before i moved to my new house I had 1000 Mbps upload and could stream it fine.

Does Cox Contour get app login options? Could you login through CBS sports and ESPN/ABC apps with his account. That would probably be the easiest way. If they need you to be at his home your best bet would maybe be setting up a Tailscale network or a Wireguard VPN.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Is there a standalone VPN hosting device that I can plug into a network? Normally I use my router with OpenVPN or whatever but the country I'm going to doesn't generally let you use your own hardware for the ISP, and I want to be able to just leave it behind, etc. The purpose would be to have the IP address that is there. I see the TP-Link ER605 V2 and stuff like that but have no idea if it's meant to be configured like that.

You could use a raspberry pi and use PiVPN. You would have to be able to open a port on whatever router you are using.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Arson Daily posted:

I think this got buried with other discussions. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Open up your pihole website. Go to the query log. Try and do what is being blocked. Refresh the query log right after and see what is blocked. White list what is blocked.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I use cloudfare on my pihole.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

bolind posted:

The Internet of poo poo is slowly taking over my home network and I’d really like to separate it from the rest. I’m running UniFi APs and an EdgeRouter X SFP. Wasn’t there some easy way to present a separate ssid to iot devices and separate them from the rest?

You can create a VLAN and then create a private pre shared key (PPSK) on your AP that goes to that VLAN. This allows you to keep one SSID but each device goes to a different VLAN depending on the password it uses. I am actually going to try and set this up this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Dyscrasia posted:

I was looking into this because it sounds great. Downside is that it doesn't work with wpa3, at least from what I've read. I suppose not an additional risk really if your in wpa2/wpa3 mode like I am because the weakest link is what matters.

I set it up a little while ago and my U6-Pro did not like it. It just kept restarting every few minutes, so I reverted back to how it was before. I do have a Flex-HD that had no issues with the PPSK so I may just use the PPSK on that and keep the U6-Pro for my main network wifi devices.