Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
Hoping to get a hint at where to start troubleshooting a router issue.

I have a Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N. It's great when it doesn't drop. Unfortunately it seems to be dropping more and more. At first I thought it was because we have more wireless items like a kindle and ipod touch but it's doing something really weird. Every night we can bet on the fact that the router will drop everything from wireless sometime between 8 and 10pm. We are not activating any other device when it happens. Just sitting in front of computers and then the wireless goes byebye for everything in the house.

Today I was on all day without issue. Then at 8, almost on the dot, it dropped again. A reboot and it should be fine for the next 24 hours. It's been doing this for about a week now after we got a new laptop (unsure it's related or coincidence because it replaced another laptop that is now turned off).

We've already gone through a bunch of maintenance in the past, well before this issue cropped up; updating firmware, setting it to channel 11 instead of auto, setting the deal in the back so it's not on auto, general pitfalls that seem to be common issues with this router. This thing it's doing now is something new and I lack the networking knowledge to troubleshoot it properly.

What does it mean? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Devian666 posted:

There's also a chance that someone starts using their wireless network heavily at those times. Try using inssider on a laptop to see if your wireless network is overlapping the same spectrum as someone else's.

According to inssider, all networks in my neighborhood use 1-9 (most on 1, 6 and 8) but there's one that uses 9. Which means my sole channel 11 using router overlaps with about 3 others (2x on 8, one on 9). I could go up, no one else uses any channels past 9 except me, but is it wise to use say, channel 13 which still overlaps 9 or channel 14 that's all by itself?

Also did another firmware update, apparently they release a new update in the last month. Hopefully this helps. I got dropped today around 11am and I'm starting to get sick of it.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Devian666 posted:

Try dd-wrt as recommended above.

Well, I don't know anything about the custom firmware and I'm not too keen on spending a lot of time learning about it. Just reading the first few steps on flashing seem pretty involved for my level of knowledge.

However, there have been great reviews about the Asus RT-N56U. If this keeps up, I'm thinking of just grabbing one of these. Seems like I should grab one regardless since the G300N was released almost 8 years ago and the Asus would just about quadruple my current rate. Inssider indicates my rate is among the lowest in the neighborhood. :saddowns:

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

NOTinuyasha posted:

The WHR-HP-G300N isn't anywhere near 8 years old, it has the same wireless hardware as anything else and it's still sold. Anyway, it's a model where Buffalo actually paid DD-WRT for an 'official' port so if you want something with newer wireless drivers, DD-WRT is the way to go. Instructions for flashing are usually written by people with aspergers, you can safely ignore all that noise and just go to the 'firmware upgrade' interface, click browse, select the 'buffalo-to-dd-wrt_webflash-MULTI.bin' file, click upgrade, and wait 5 minutes.

My bad. Amazon lists this router as released in 2004. Probably keeps the old page for each new model.

Well, if it's that easy to do I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

EDIT: On a side note, why does the OP say the Asus RT-N56U is "NOT DD-WRT COMPATIBLE" if it needs dd-wrt to run smoothly. Biggest problem I've read about the RT-N56U is that it has problems with bridging and was unstable when it first released. Are all the good reviews from people who've been able to get dd-wrt to run on it?

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 18, 2011

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Ularg posted:

I was looking to replace my old crappy Belkin Router with an ASUS RT-AC66U. This was a router I found a few months ago and wonder if it is still a good option for me. Right now it'll be a family router. My PC and 2 video game consoles are wired into a switch that goes to the router. The rest like four smartphones, two tablets and three laptops are all going to be wirelessly connected.

I'm on a 5mbps down .40 mbps up ADSL connection. (I wish I had better)

My main concern is a router that can handle multiple devices connected to it and one that is good for gaming. I need to be able to make sure ports and such are forwarded so I can connect without little trouble.

Got this router on sale last month. I connect 3 laptops, 2 smart phones, a kindle, a tablet, a wifi printer, plus my main desktop computer, all wireless, without issues. This with two computers, a dvd player, and game box hard wired. Stream netflix, youtube, online mmo without any problems. Granted, it's only been a month.

Edit: Almost forgot the ipod with Pandora. Personally, I think it's good router.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

GokieKS posted:

My AC66 with DD-WRT has been running great. Though I don't actually have any AC devices (yet - Nexus 5 should be here soon), it's been working great with everything else.

I have the AC68 wireless adapter on my desktop computer and it's fantastic with the AC66 router. No lag, full streaming, fast online gaming. Granted it'd be faster if I hardwired it but it's fast enough as it is.