Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Just thought I'd jump in here and post something that I learned the hard way

Picked up a Linksys E3200 about a week ago as it was available locally and appeared to be a minor spec bump up from the E3000 (which is sold on newegg still)

What I didn't realize at the time is that the driver source for the 5ghz antenna has not been released, and thus does not work in dd-wrt

So I had to go back to stock firmware to get dual-band (the main reason I picked it up to replace my old 54GL), but it's stability has been poo poo

I'm going to try and return it and swap it for something else that truly supports dual band AND dd-wrt (or tomato)

tl;dr - avoid the E3200 if you want dual-band and non-stock firmware. It's listed as "compatible" on the dd-wrt page but I had to dig into the forums to discover that the 5ghz antenna isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

I returned my E3200 last night and picked up a 3700v2 in it's place. Haven't had a chance to set it up yet though

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

vanilla slimfast posted:

I returned my E3200 last night and picked up a 3700v2 in it's place. Haven't had a chance to set it up yet though

Trip report:

Took a couple of tries to get DD-WRT flashed onto it but once I did, it's been working great so far. Our 2.4ghz spectrum in our condo is pretty crowded but 5ghz is relatively empty which was the motivation for getting a dual band router.

Rough speed tests from my MBP, same room, 512mb file

Wired gigabit: 422mbit write/323mbit read
Wireless-N: 82mbit write/45mbit read

Not bad, the router itself is reporting my laptop is on at 150mbit on the 5ghz antenna.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Guitarchitect posted:

I was doing some research on routers, specifically the Linksys E4200 and came across the following on CNet: "Unfortunately, though streaming music and photos worked well in our trials, the video streaming wasn't smooth and sometimes didn't seem to work at all. This is mostly because the router doesn't have enough power to offer the fast storage throughput required to stream high-definition content."

It sounds like, based on the context, they were talking about streaming content off of an attached hard drive to the router, not device->device on the network.

Your performance for that is entirely dependent on the performance of the network itself (wired being best, obviously)

Ashex posted:

I want a Dual-band wireless router with gigabit, is the Linksys E3000 my best option? I don't really care for the media server portion.

I'll throw in another recommendation for the Netgear 3700v2.

I believe the E3000 will work alright and is DD-WRT compatible. I learned the hard way that the E3200 (which is sold locally here) is compatible too but there is no driver for the 5ghz antenna making it basically worthless for dual-band. I believe you can still get the E3000 on Newegg, however

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 27, 2011