Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
So my power went out last week and when it came back on the R6300 was not responding. I assumed that the the firmware was corrupted as that happened a couple times before. But it times out when I try to inject firmware into it over TFTP, and is not returning pings. Any suggestions?

Netgear support has basically told me I'm on my own since the router is a little over 2 years old. I tried filling a claim with Monster since it was plugged into one of their protectors. At this point I'm assuming I need to just get a new router so I'm open to suggestions. I was liking the Wi-Fi speeds getting up to the 105 that comcast is giving me, and my roommate plays a lot of league. I was looking at the nighthawk, but I had a hard time justifying the R6300 to myself at 200 and don't think I could bring myself to the nighthawk's 280 dollar price tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Antillie posted:

Yes, I am lazy.

Thanks, that Archer C7 seems perfect.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Rexxed posted:

It may not be the issue but check the power brick with a multimeter if you have one handy, the power bricks seem to die on routers more frequently than a lot of other things. It may have been damaged in your power outage. If you don't have a multimeter try to find one that's the same voltage and the same or higher milliamps. If it is the power adapter they're usually less than $10 on amazon.

Thanks for the advice. My grandma just happened to be giving away her multimeter to whoever needed it in the family. I'll check it out.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

redeyes posted:

I'm interested in this Archer c7 but here is my main question: are both 2.4 and 5ghz both stable and fast? How about having to reboot the router every so often? To be honest the only router I have ever tried that didn't require reboots (other than VPN security appliances) was PFsense based intel boxes. :/

I've been using it for a week or so with 2 phones, 2 laptops, and a 3ds. Had the 3ds hiccup once near the edge of it's range bit otherwise no connectivity issues. I'm getting a speed of about 84 mbps where the R6300 was giving me the full 105, pings however dropped from 95 to single digits on the Archer C7. I'd like the range to be better but overall I'm very happy. Plus I no longer have to deal with the firmware corrupting every time the router resets like with the R6300.

Incidentally, are there any recommended antenna to boost the range a bit? I have a small house but the front area isn't getting much in the way of signal on phones and the portable game systems. I should probably just move the router a little more towards the front now that I think about it.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

bobfather posted:

Zoom's modems have been super solid for me. I think I have the 5341J? Just make sure the modem you buy is on the approved list for Comcast.

This is the one I have and it's been running stable for about a year and a half now without issue.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

So I've had the Archer C7 every since the thread recommended it. It seems to be causing a weird thing where it will occasionally pick a device connected to it and stealthily disconnect it. The device will still think it is connected ok, but will not be able to reach anything. No sites, no connections at all. Anyone else have this issue? I'm guessing it's the router since I didn't have this problem with the R6300, That had it's own problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Trying to find something to replace my Comcast modem router combo and having a hell of a time doing so. I need a modem that that can do 1,000 Mbps and supports VoIP. All the ones I found have either had a router built in (which I don't need as I have a router that works wonderfully), or this Netgear model which is quite a bit more than I need so I'm reluctant to drop that much on the modem. Anyone know of any that they would suggest?