Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone have any recommendations on dual wan routers that support 1 gigabit?

A 100mbit one would probably work for my immediate needs, but in theory (:airquote:) Centurylink is laying fibre in the general area of my house and it'd be nice if the router would still be usable after that happens.

Also, any Minnesota Xfinity customers like one cable modem over the others? Or should I pretty much get the cheapest one I can find and plug it into the router and move on with my life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've got an airport extreme for my wifi, I never like overloading those cheap modems with any more tasks than needed.

Thanks for the suggestions, gonna go do some reading

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Any particular brand of gigabit switch people like more than others these days? I've got an old 8 port netgear sitting on my desk at the moment that's just not got enough ports. I've been using the 4 ports on my wireless router as expansion slots, but I'm replacing that and relocating it so I won't have that crutch anymore, so I'm looking at finding a decent 16 porter. Bonus points if I can wall mount it.

I've pretty much used Netgear stuff forever without any complaints, but its been a long time since I bought one so I don't know if their quality has gone downhill or something.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Krailor posted:

Seriously, just search '16 port gigabit switch' on Amazon and get whatever's the cheapest that has gigabit or 1000mbps in the name. Right now it looks like that's a TP-Link for $65.

Works for me! Thanks all

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So, is there a "complete idiots guide to setting up an edgerouter lite" type tutorial site out there?

I've used the wizard to set up my dual wan configuration, but I'd like to tweak how it does load balancing (namely I don't want it to). Ideally set it up such that:

All internet traffic goes to wan1
.. except any traffic originating from one specific internal IP which I want exclusive to wan2
both of them failing over to the other wan if theirs is down

Is that possible? Is there a good place to learn how?

You'd think after spending 5 years working for a company that made (:airquote:) core routers I'd have learned something, but I didn't :v:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I... was completely unaware of their wiki. Thats very helpful, thanks!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Speaking of the nanostations, has anyone actually used them for long distance networks?

My parents cabin has no internet access and it isn't really worth paying for it given that they're only there on the odd weekend, but my Aunt lives out there full time and has DSL. It'd be about 3 miles between the two houses and there's a bit of a hill between them.

Would these work in that sort of situation or do they need some semblance of LOS?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So, dear friends of the home networking thread, regale me with tales of 2GB internet. Comcast now offers this very gimmicky speed that screams "Our competitors have 1gb fiber coming? Well we've got 2!" despite the fact that I imagine 99% of home users have (at best) a 1gb router, a 1gb switch, and 1gb network cards in their computers.

Are there reasonably priced 10gb switches/routers/etc for home use these days? I've got cat 6e run everywhere, so I should be good in that regard. While I'm not sure I feel like paying the high price for it, I figure it might be time to start working on infrastructure for the day the price comes down (ha), where's a good place to start?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CrazyLittle posted:

Truthfully you could bring in that 2gig circuit into a DIY router with a dual-10gig sfp+ card (~$200-300) and then hook the second port to a switch that has a 10gig uplink port ($400 Ubiquiti Edgeswitch Lite 48-port)

Those edgeswitches are pretty nice, I'll have to look into that. Still no way I'm going to spend the $1k to get 2g installed and $300/mo comcast wants, but that'd be a nice drop-in for the lovely 1U 24 port switch I've got now.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MarcusSA posted:

What’s that black thing on the wall used for?

Landlines are still best for 911. Just gotta paint that bad boy red and get a glass dome to cover it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Are there any good poe powered hubs/switches? My parents had someone wire their house during construction but the wires were all pulled someplace with no spare power really, so I was thinking if I could just wall mount a poe switch and slap an injector someplace more reasonable it'd be good enough for their needs

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yeah, I should have mentioned it was 8 wires, so that switch-8 seems like a good choice. Thanks much

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
isn't wifi-6 pretty bad

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Time to do all those backups you've been putting off

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

skipdogg posted:

HP switch(es)

Any particular ones you like? I've been considering getting a full rack and actually getting a real home lab set up, and seeing as how I work for hpe these days I'd like to believe I could save some money on them

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Speaking of routers and poe, how are the mikrotik routers? I had been considering a rack mounted dream machine pro but frankly I keep hearing bad things about them. The mikrotik rack mounted routers seem nice spec wise (including poe ports) but don't know much about them otherwise

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

fletcher posted:

I've been happy with my Arris SB8200, maxes out my gigabit xfinity connection no problem.

I also have an 8200 that has been handling my gigabit without issues. All the surfboards have treated me well over the years

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rakeris posted:

I wish I could use my own modem with att fiber...having to use their garbage modem/router combo and having to pay for it is rather annoying.

Pretty sure you can replace it, I've seen multiple youtube videos on the topic

Anyone have any strong opinions on the Aruba Instant-On wifi stuff? I can get them at a pretty hefty discount (like 50% off the AP22) and was wondering how they compared to the unifi mesh systems

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If any of you have zyxel equipment, time to security scramble

https://www.zdnet.com/article/backdoor-account-discovered-in-more-than-100000-zyxel-firewalls-vpn-gateways/

They have a plaintext password root backdoor account in a ton of their products

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
plywood is a lot cheaper than 3500

Lawrence Systems did a video on fishing cables in walls if that's at all helpful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5XePwAO4m0

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The story I heard early on is due to the lockdowns lots of people were doing all those home improvement projects they'd been putting off.

All the hardware stores around here have been busy as poo poo

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BlackMK4 posted:

For Unifi, you'd be on a UDM or USG so that everything integrates with the Unifi controller web application.

With Omada you use their firewall product I think which should also integrate.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You managed to get a gigabit off of the PSN? How many goat sacrifices did that require? I've got a gigabit and it took like 18 hours to download Horizon.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8R5-xNeHY8
Lawrence systems did a big video on it too

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kreeblah posted:

You're going to need a point to point VPN appliance of some sort, which your work should provide you with if a setup like that is within their security policy to do.

He'd still need something to keep his networks isolated. I'd think a vlan with some routing rules would work

For those of you with big home racks/etc, what sort of considerations did you make for power needs? Just plug it in with the rest of your stuff, or did you have new circuits and outlets added for your equipment?

I'm currently scheduling some unrelated electrical work and figure I might as well get a couple new outlets installed for an eventual rack purchase and am curious what other people have done (or perhaps wish you had done).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I get almost 30 up! It's very exciting.

Real fiber is finally available but the "free" installation is going to be like $2200 for me, so that gets to wait until my budget recovers from replacing my nas

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DerekSmartymans posted:

That is good info. Tbh I didn’t even know SL was a realized and functioning company yet! I remember seeing talk when Elon Musk apologists were gushing over it, but completely missed to fact it was past prototype now! I’ll look it up to see what’s up!

The biggest thing you're going to find out is they are, like everyone else, slayed by logistics issues and have a months long waiting list for equipment

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the omada stuff does not require any of the more complex stuff that you can use, you can get one AP and run the software off of a PC and a EAP245 costs 99.99

EAP610 is the same price and wifi 6. I assume it does everything else the same as the 245

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://techcrunch.com/2021/11/15/hpe-aruba-data-breach/

Heads up for anyone using Aruba stuff

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've been extremely happy with my omada aps

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09G5H4XS2/

I don't have any of the other omada infrastructure, I configure the wifi via the omada controller software running on one of my sundry windows vms

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Udm pro is also ok if you plan on setting up cameras

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just get these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-NC523SFP-Dual-Port-10GbE-593717-B21-593742-001-593715-001-PCIe-Server-Adapter-/142558268378

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What RJ-45 transceivers do you recommend?

I've never used an SFP card before, and a DC goon offered me a free one of these they have.

I've got an sfp switch too, so most everything is just a standard sfp+ cable

The one copper 10 gig I've got I just grabbed

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FXBFZP8/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_EK9A1XMF5P0PYA5KHGZ2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And haven't had any complaints

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rexxed posted:

Newegg hosts third party sellers like Amazon does, but they care even less than amazon about you getting ripped off by them. I'd avoid it.

Newegg doesn't even outsource it's scams, it runs them itself to ensure quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fnXsmXzphI

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Unless you really need self hosted always on remote management features you can just use the controller software on Windows to configure everything, save you needing to spend money on the hardware controller. Or just use the cloud controller.

Also if you do get the oc200 be aware it's poe powered, I missed that initially

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I use pfsense for my router and tp-link omada stuff everywhere else and I'm quite happy with the whole situation

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've been happy with my tp-link APs. The AC1750's are only $400 for a 5 pack and POE powered. Don't know much about their routers but they claim gigabit site to site vpn and are cheap.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LRADIKAL posted:

Hey all, looking for a recommendation for an outdoor wireless repeater.

For some reason my wife and I and another family stay at this crummy resort every summer. It's way out in the boonies and cell phone access is crummy, but they do have crummy, overprovisioned wifi. I figure getting a little AP in line of sight to one of theirs would help out our group. Ideally it would re-transmit on a different channel/AP to cut down on the number of devices straining to connect to the resort's stuff. What's a nice, cheapish way to do this?

There's a few people that make travel routers that would do it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GBXMBQF/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_SH723Q8Y93MSY464MJ2T

That can use wifi (or many things) as the wan connection and then just have everyone connect to your router's new network

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

They make rack mounted ac units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Sounds like you need to just get a proper docking station for your work laptop.

Yeah, IT gave us all one of these when they gave us our laptops and it works well enough

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-usb-c-dock-g5-p-26d32aa-abl-1

Granted, I work for HP so it probably didn't cost them the full $250 to do that, but hey.

I still just installed Parsec and connect to it remotely