Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Is there a recommended card I can buy to give my desktop wireless internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Hey guys, do you have any recommendation on buying a wireless adapter for desktops? I'm on an 802.11n network but other than that I don't have any major needs. My router is on the first floor and I'm on the third. I could do a PCIe card, or a USB one would work too. What do y'all suggest?

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 26, 2012

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Run-CMD posted:

As long as you don't need extensive Linux support like hostap mode, go for the Intel Advanced-N 6205 for Desktop. You'll have more flexibility in antenna placement compared to the little 3 dB nub antennas that come with most desktop cards. Also since it is basically a laptop card in a mini PCIe to PCIe adapter, it'll be easier to swap out for the latest wireless card down the line. Desktop wifi cards don't get as much attention as their mini PCIe counterparts.

So, yo, I finally went ahead and got this. But I actually have even worse connectivity than the little $5 USB stick I had before!? I have no idea how or why this happened and it seems to be true regardless of where I put the antenna. I'm pinging my router for anywhere between 6ms and 600ms. How do I fix this? Help me networking thread you're my only hope!

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

edit: hurrf durf. turned off inSSIDer and fixed everything.

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 31, 2012

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Everyone's recommending the ARRIS 6121/6141 modem for cable. Do I need something similar for DSL internet?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Antillie posted:

I've made a ton of additions and changes to the proposed new OP that Rukus is working on. Mostly by adding in edited versions of some of my old posts. I also incorporated parts of CrazyLittle's excellent post on the Edgerouter series.

I am thinking that the Edgerouter 8 and Edgerouter Pro should not be included in a new OP. They are pretty expensive and I am not sure they offer anything over the Edgerouter Lite/Edgerouter PoE to a typical home user.

The UniFi Security Gateway is at a reasonable price point and it looks like its mostly an ERL that is managed via the Unifi Controller like the APs. But I am not sure how it differs from the ERL feature wise, if it differs at all. But for people who want to manage everything in the controller it may be a good alternative to the ERL. So I am not sure if it should be in a new OP or not.

I am also on the fence about recommending the UP-AC-LR. It costs more than the Lite but it isn't clear if its really much better than the Lite. But it might have better range than the Lite/Pro, and its a bit faster on the 2.4ghz band than the Lite while slower than the Pro on the 5ghz band.

Is there meaningful difference in routers <$50? I know you have the EdgemasterX in there but that doesn't do any wireless

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 26, 2016

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

How does this look for a powerline ethernet? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H74VKZU/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AwEAAAAAAAAAAcu9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

This works pretty decent. However my connection is only clocking ~150Mbps. Thinking this might be because of the Cat5 ethernet cables I'm using though. Ordering some Cat6 cables and trying again in a few days.

e: oh i am already using cat 5e cables. hrmph

e2: my laptop plugged directly into the router gets 400Mbps. I guess there really isn't a way to get speeds like this on my 2nd floor computer without directly running a wire through the whole drat house?

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 27, 2022