Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is there a cheap wireless router that'll let me manually set the MAC address? That's really the only feature I need other than being inexpensive and reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ryanbruce posted:

MAC on the WAN side? I haven't come across one that doesn't.

The MAC address of the router itself. I need to change it for appearances as part of a larger network.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is the Netgear WNDR3400 on Woot right now dd-wrt compatible/worth picking up?

e: Looks like dd-wrt is still a work in progress. Before I spend money, can anyone tell me if it would be possible to change the MAC address on this, specifically so it reports a different manufacturer code?

e2: Sorry for my ignorance, I've only ever used/configured Airports for wireless networking. I guess changing the WAN MAC is a pretty standard feature outside of the Mac bubble? I'm going to get a refurbed Linksys E1000 and get dd-wrt on it. I'm pretty sure that's what I want to do, right?

Manky fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 1, 2011

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Devian666 posted:

An E1000 running dd-wrt should be fine.

As you've discovered being able to change the MAC address is pretty standard on routers.

Thanks for allaying my concerns. With any luck this means I can stop using my laptop as a wireless router for the rest of the apartment.