Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Crotch Fruit posted:

I think my modem might be dieing. It is a Motorola SB6121, approximately 3 or 4 years old. In the last couple days I have noticed that it is resetting frequently. I suspect this could also be caused by my ISPs cable line setup- the main line goes into a 2 way splitter which feeds two 4-way splitters for the outlets in the house. I am no expert, but Google/internet rumors seems to suggest that could be really cutting down the signal going to the modem.

The last time I called my ISP, they reset the modem and said everything looked perfect. That was about a month ago and I don't believe I can say the right magic words to convince them that there is a problem with the line or wiring in the demarcation box where are the splitters are located. I have screenshots of the signal from the modem and the modem log files, does this appear to be likely an issue with the modem due to age or should I call and demand my ISP send a tech out?

those look in line* with what i have. are you able to modify the splitter setup to branch to your modem right off the main line? tvs are more forgiving than the modem. See the comcast forums for what they consider "good signal"

* Is this when you have problems?

As for my own question: I am having problems that manifest as a lost of DNS? How do i begin to diagnose if this is service or a router issue? I have swapped between comcast and google dns. My modem logs don't show anything around that time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Spiritus Nox posted:

So...looking at the powerlining section - that IS just plug and play? I don't have to pair a powerline adapter with my router or something? It just finds it and starts sending data over the electrical wires?

You'll need two of the powerline adapters. One will sit on an outlet near your router and you'll plug it in to that router. The other will be at the other end of your house, next to your PC. The powerline adapters will pair with each other, you just have to connect them to your existing devices

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

PBCrunch posted:

If you have unused coax in your walls you can use DirecTV DECA adapters to piggyback 100Mbps ethernet into those coax lines. DECA adapters are under $15/pair on Amazon. I use them in my house, and they are outstanding. ~3ms ping and absolutely flawless 100Mbps connection. A million times better than wifi and significantly better than powerline.

Does DECA create a network with more than 2? Or is it a point to point/paired kind of thing?

Sir DonkeyPunch fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 13, 2016

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
i have been having problems with my local network. I don't get disconnected from my wireless, and my modem doesn't restart, but I have been getting errors from chrome about unable to locate DNS. It doesn't matter what i configure my DNS as on the router (Open, Google, or Comcast) and it happens across all devices, though the phones aren't as specific as my PC.

I swapped routers to an Archer C7 (thanks thread) recently, thinking maybe that was my problem, but it happened again tonight. It's broken for maybe a couple minutes and then it's back. Both times I see this in my router log: DHCPS:lease host name not found

is this is a Comcast problem? modem? I don't even know quite what to complain about if i called comcast support

Sir DonkeyPunch fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 1, 2016

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Steakandchips posted:

I'm curious, what's the benefit of using the two components you linked instead of just getting a pcie wifi card like this: https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-450Mbps-Wireless-Express-TL-WDN4800/dp/B007GMPZ0A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466893769&sr=8-1&keywords=pcie+wifi ?

I have this card, works well enough