Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Outside of the link at the bottom of the OP, can anyone recommend any online guides or tutorials to better understand the basics of networking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
My folks have ATT Uverse internet and TV. Their internet use is currently browsing/email/youtube. They live in a multi-story townhouse and as expected they get shift Wifi coverage (Uverse modem is in a 2nd floor bedroom)

I'd like to get them set up for better wifi coverage. Here is what I'm envisioning, please tell me if I'm off base:
  • Buy a 3rd party router to use as a wired and wireless AP on the 1st floor
  • Run a 100ft cat5 cable from the Uverse modem on the second floor to the first floor and plug in to the AP (run along the wall/carpet)
  • Hardwire their desktop PC to the AP and also now get great WiFi coverage on the 1st floor

That should be doable, right? Does anyone with Uverse have similar experience?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Volguus posted:

While cable is always better than wireless, if running the cable over two floors is a big PITA, you could also buy 1 AP and one extender.Set the AP near the modem and the extender on the first floor somewhere where it gets a reasonable enough reception that it can amplify.

Thanks. I'm going to try and convince them to let me run the cable but I'll keep the AP/Repeater idea in mind.

Now I need to read up on how to set up a router to act as an AP with Uverse.

astral posted:

Is their u-verse TV running on coax or ethernet? If it's coax, and as long as nothing's changed since I read about this a while back, you can actually use the ethernet port on the TV boxes for your own networking purposes (with a caveat or two, if I remember correctly) to potentially spare you from having to run some cables.

Hmm. I'm not positive. I guess the other TV boxes get their signal via wifi from the main modem/router. I'm out of state and won't be able to get my hands on everything till the Christmas holidays but I'll check that out.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 16, 2017

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Can I have a router act as a bridge and a WAP?

I'm staying at an AirBnB for the next two weeks while I try and find an apartment. The wifi signal is shite, and I don't have access to the home's networking equipment.

I have a Netgear R6400 router. I put it in 'bridge' mode and connected it to the home wifi, and then used a cable to connect it to my desktop. My desktop speeds are much better.

I was hoping there would be a way to ALSO have it boost the wifi signal, so I could connect my wireless devices to the R6400 nearby and then it would use wireless to communicate to the home router.

Is this possible? Thanks!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Forgive me ahead of time if I'm not using the right terminology here...

Recently when surfing the web I'll have issues with webpages not loading on the first try. The error I get is usually DNS related. If I refresh the page then it'll load no problem. The issue occurs on multiple browsers, and seemingly multiple computers.

On my Netgear R6400 router I have my DNS manually set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 . I've also tried setting it to the CloudFlare DNS and the problem persisted. It seemingly affects other applications. I almost had to reschedule an online-proctored certification because of a DNS issue in the application.

Any ideas on how I can narrow down what could be going on?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Cyks posted:

When you ping a website (such as ping https://www.yahoo.com) in cmon prompt, does it resolve right away?

Do you have multiple nics on your computer? I had an issue years ago at work where a workstation had a connection to our enterprise network but also a connection to an xray imaging machine and DNS requests would alternate between the two. They had to refresh every time to get the page to load, exactly like you are describing. Don’t recall what exactly caused it (I think they had two gateways configured).

Edit- just caught the part of multiple computers, so that sounds unlikely.

bolind posted:

If you’re comfortable doing a wireshark package dump, that would help a lot…

Thanks for the ideas. This morning I tried the /flushdns again, and I set my DNS on my desktop instead of it deferring to the router. That might have fixed the problem, haven't seen the usual issues since then.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

DerekSmartymans posted:

The fun thing is we have 10 homes on our 4 mile long street that have been praying collectively just to get Comcast to lay cable from its current terminal point to our road. Our choices are cellular or satellite. Even motherfucking Dialup doesn’t work. 56k won’t stream YouTube, but our 1920s-era copper wires will not even push 28.8K reliably! And many of us have horror stories about the practices of 1st/2nd gen satellite providers. I downloaded an Ubuntu ISO and our house was throttled to unusable bandwidth for 13 days. For just under $100/month. And it was 2down/0.5up with a minimum latency under perfect conditions of 1000ms. Many, many really fun games with multiplayer , and later no-physical media downloads were straight up impossible. My GoG library is full now of games like Mass Effect-supposed to be fun, but I never had access to what many well regarded games from 2005-2018 because of data caps. Skyrim was great because it was a DVD with no DRM, and later on the (smaller-sized) mods kept it fresh. WoW was ok for PvE, but it took 10-12 months for me to learn how to stealth and backstab in PvP because you had to psychically predict the placement of your moving foe 1.5 seconds in the future! Always on DRM for single player PC games (Splinter Cell: Conviction was the worst!) made games unplayable for months until they patched it out due to sales and returns.

Have you looked in to Starlink? Seems to be a great option if available to your area.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Any advice for troubleshooting intermittent connectivity issues with a router in bridge mode?

I have a Cox modem/router combo downstairs. Upstairs is my netgear r6400 in bridge mode connected to my desktop with ethernet. My desktop internet connection will stop working at seemingly random times, no rhyme or reason. None of the blinking lights on the netgear router change. Other wifi devices in the house work just fine when this occurs. The connection won't work again until I reboot the netgear bridge.

I tried rolling back firmware to a previous version, no change. The desktop appears to be pulling both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

Not sure if there is much to troubleshoot other than "buy a new router".

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 5, 2021

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Hardware chat advice needed.

Renting a new place. Cox cable, internet is slow. Hitting 90 mb/s when I'm paying for 500 using their hardware. There are at least 5 coaxial outlets in the place, and below is a picture of the splitters/connectors for the townhouse.

Am I likely correct in assuming that the signal is coming off the street and in to the red box amplifier "Input" jack?

I only have internet, and only care about the best signal to the modem. Theoretically, I could get a female-to-female connector and connect it directly from the street to a single room?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 6, 2022

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

Yes. They usually won't even support putting the cable into a splitter or whatever.

skipdogg posted:

Yes, you want the best signal possible to the modem. Can you post the modem stats page?

I would homerun the cable signal to the modem if possible.

Doh. Realized I forgot to post the picture. Thanks for the advice, I'll head back over there tomorrow and see if I can get rid of all the splitters and connect from street to one room. And I'll see if I can get in to Cox's panoramic modem stat page.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hughmoris posted:

I only have internet, and only care about the best signal to the modem. Theoretically, I could get a female-to-female connector and connect it directly from the street to a single room?

CopperHound posted:

Except in there very likely case that the install is f'd, you probably have another coupler with a grounding connection somewhere before that.

Partycat posted:

And somewhere where the power supply is for that amp. The input cable to the amp looks weak sauce, I would second a guess that this is coming off a tap or block somewhere else and not right from street feed directly - it could come from a tap in the complex/village but looks self installed IMO.

Yeah, its a row of townhomes. Just going to take a stab at getting the best possible signal before I pay $100 for their tech to come out.

I looked at the Cox Panoramic wifi manual and I didn't see anything on how to view modem signal strength. I'm just going to disconnect those two monstrosities, use a female-to-female connector and connect the red box "input" directly to my room to see where I stand.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
To wrap up the Townhome Tales: went back to the residence today. Didn't touch anything, and I was hitting 480 mb/s on wifi out of the 500 I'm paying for. I'm hoping it was just slow provisioning yesterday that led to the initial low speeds.

Also, I found one of these in the rooms that was unplugged. Plugged it in and suddenly the outlet in another room started working. I've never seen one of these before, guessing its powering the red box amplifier posted earlier?

All in all, the issued Cox Panoramic modem/router seems to do everything I need to it to do. Sucks that its $13/mo but given how expensive a quality modem and router is now days, I might just roll with it for now.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Partycat posted:

Yep that looks like a power supply that you'd use for one of those for sure. Looking at the earlier photo, it looks like each of leg of that splitter cuts the power in 1/4, with a slight gain potential from the amplifier with its +15dB forward for that frequency block, so maybe the idea is unity gain if you're serviced by some appliance in the complex. It attenuates a bit going back up but not by much.

It could make sense if the connection is more reliable with it plugged in as the power level would be 4x higher than it was given the splitter, lowering the error rate or adding more viable channels for bonding. Upstream shouldn't have changed a ton unless the amplifier is somehow problematic unpowered but I doubt it. You did say you plugged this in after the WiFi test, maybe it was provisioning, firmware update on the device, FBI microwave beam scattering the WiFi, hard to say.

I bet you could call or webchat the provider and ask them if they could see if the signal levels are looking good at your modem. If they start asking about other problems or issues you could just tell them you bought a new cable and wanted to make sure it was good or something, they don't really care and should be able to see how it looks from their end.

Thanks for the info. That is a realm I know little about. At this point I have everything connected where I want it, and if the speeds stay up without drops than I'm going to call it good.

Until I'm tempted by their GIGABLAST!!! package. I really don't need those speeds though... maybe I do.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm a networking novice trying to understand DNS a little bit. Can someone explain, from the screenshot below, why resolving the dns for SA gives me a small entry but resolving the dns for theverge.com gives me all that extra info?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

astral posted:

A record vs cname record.

Sniep posted:

SA being a small entity and on a small budget (relatively speaking) is doing things "the old way" by just having a couple A records sent of their dual load balanced clusters/sites. The two entries you see are static and point to two distinct locations by IP (I don't think they're anycasted but maybe)

The latter theverge.com subscribes to fastly with an enterprise-tier custom built load balancer that makes real time decisions.. instead of creating an A record (domain to IP) or two, they CNAME (delegate domain resolution to another domain) which happens to be owned by the company Fastly. They have a very sophisticate system that points them to a pool of anycasted resolvers to dig the SNI (server name indicator, in the security handshake, in addition to the HTTP hostname sent) and will get a resolution A address from one of them.

Ok that makes sense, thanks!