Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Greetings chums, layperson here with a couple of questions. After a month-long debacle with Rogers, TekSavvy and third-party technicians coming to my house and telling me they can't find a working cable, I finally have an internet connection that isn't the store downstairs' lovely one. I'm in the process of giving my router a hilarious name and decent security but in the meantime I have some questions about switches. Be warned, these are probably stupid questions (check the avatar).

I'm going to acquire a gigabit switch with a bunch of terminals on it, the intent being to hardwire everything in my room - two Mac Pros, two MacBook Pros, a PS4, an XBOX and an LG TV, as well as some Pioneer DJ gear - CDJs have this nifty Link feature allowing you to share media and metadata like tempo info across a network cable or switch. The first Q I have is, some of these devices have multiple RJ45 (CAT5? What's the correct nomenclature to use here?) terminals on them. I'm talking primarily about the modem itself, a Hitron unit with four terminals and a pair of USB ports I'm not sure about. But the Mac Pros also have two terminals on them. Is there any benefit to connecting multiple terminals from a device to the switch? 'Sharing the work' across multiple RJ45 cables (is this called multiplexing?), will this improve connectivity or speed or anything?

My second question is about assigning static IPs to my devices. I do a lot of screen sharing between my computers and up until now I've had to deal with IPs rotating out often, playing a sort of guessing game to connect via VNC. It would be nice to have permanently-assigned IPs for my devices - at least, the hardwired computers, TV and game system, the DJ gear doesn't matter.

I think that's everything. Thanks for your time!

EDIT: Nope, one more Q. Is it possible to create a Guest network with throttled settings, so having friends over jacking my wifi doesn't choke my home network? The Hitron's setup allows both a 2.4GHz and a 5GHz network but I'm not sure if this is exactly what I'm looking for.

EDIT 2: OK, one more. The Hitron setup has a VPN tab under Security. How do I set this up? I assume I have to sign up for NordVPN or some similar service, and apply the account information here? Will this mean that any device under my network is VPN-protected, is this even possible or does VPN only work at the device level?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks for your prompt replies. It's a Hitron CGN3, HW version 1A, SW version 4.2.4.11. Like I said, I see a VPN tab under Security, and a DHCP Reservation option under LAN DHCP Status.

That's pretty much all I would need a VPN for anyway, yeah (I can't find the FILES smilie). So this can be applied at the router level? In case my roommates also download torrents (they do).

Looks like the Ethernet switch I grabbed from a friend is dead :(.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I got a replacement switch (a Cisco Catalyst 2970) from a friend. He's helped me set it up using PuTTY; the DJ gear is on its own private six-port VLAN so as not to interfere with IP addresses of the rest of the gear. It seems to work fine so far, my only concern is that... it's loud. Unfortunately I don't have a closet to tuck it away in, it's currently residing in my 19" rack with an audio interface and power conditioner. With music at low volumes (which is admittedly rare) I can hear its fan and I'd rather not. I feel bad because he really helped me out with this one, but I kind of want to trade it up. Is there such a thing as a silent 24-port switch? Is such a thing going to be absurdly expensive? Thanks again.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Thanks Ants posted:

Rip it open and swap the fans

I don't mean it sounds like the fans are malfunctioning - it's not loud loud, but as an audio guy it's audible enough to be a bother, especially if I'm recording vocals.

Internet Explorer posted:

What you're looking for is a switch with passive cooling. Don't have a minute to look anything up, but look for that.

Great! I checked and CanadaComputers seems to have a good selection of passively-cooled switches. Thanks for your prompt replies guys!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I grabbed a passively-cooled switch, a LinkSys SE3016. Can someone point me in the right direction to set up a dedicated VLAN across a few of its ports? It looks like my DJ equipment might actually need that; loading tracks across the devices is suspiciously slow and I had the connection drop out entirely at one point. I suspect this might be due to interference from the other more typical devices sharing the switch.

EDIT: I'd still like to set up static IPs or DHCP Reservation for all the devices connected to the switch as well, is this possible? Is it done the same way (configured through my modem's administrator setup) as if the devices were connected via WIFI? Thanks again.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 7, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What possible explanation is there to my home network suddenly changing name and my password no longer working? It used to be 'Lesbian Sex Dungeon' now it just shows up as 'Lesbian'. I hope this is just a simple error and not someone hacking my rear end.

Also, I can't get into the router settings (192.168.0.1) because I'm an idiot and forgot to write down the login information.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm in the market for a wifi range extender because my roommate is having trouble with my network, and due to our space I'm wondering what might be the best option.

My previous roommate purchased a whole-rear end router and connected it via a short ethernet cable to my own (presumably weaker wifi signal) router, which resides in my room. Even though it was in the same location, it worked quite well, but I'm wondering if that's overkill. Additionally I seem to remember him having to sign onto a separate network in his list, even though it was directly connected to my own. Do products like this guy or his larger brother work well? If so, I can just connect it to the plug in the hallway and leave it at that.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
How much do dowloading and uploading really affect one another? I know this is a fairly open-ended question, but there are some particular considerations to my apartment's situation and I'm curious how they might be affecting things, if at all.
- Our internet plan is 75Mbps down / 10Mbps up
- Myself and one of my two roommates are both DJs, occasionally running livestreams via OBS->Restream- or directly to Twitch/MixCloud/YouTube/FB/etc.
- The other roommate watches Netflix and uses PSN but AFAIK doesn't do much uploading at all
- The primary router is in my bedroom and every machine in the room (except my phone) is hardwired to it
- I've run an ethernet cable into the hallway to a repeater that the roommates are connecting to wirelessly
- Previously I've run into virtually zero issues streaming via Restream or directly to Twitch (etc.), even while doing things like watching a hockey game simultaneously
- Most recently (just now) the roommate had his uploading cut out after about an hour, and while I was home I was only browsing the forums and watching some TV on my Plex server

What's the most likely bottleneck here? The repeater in the hall, the fact that he's connecting wirelessly to it, another roommate streaming media? I would think it's not my use of Plex since that's a local thing running off of my NVidia Shield with a hard drive instead of Netflix's servers for example, but I could be wrong. Would opting into a higher bandwidth ISP package help solve our issue? Thanks for your time.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

KS posted:

If your upload is saturated it will affect download speeds. TCP needs to send acknowledgement packets back upstream. Is the hallway device actually a wireless repeater or just an AP?

If upload is saturated it affects download, but not the other way around? The hallway device is an Archer C60, which I understand to be a router, no?

Bank posted:

One thing I didn't see anyone bring up, is how cruddy things can get during COVID. When people started working from home last year my internet was completely destroyed. During the day my upload was garbage (2mbps up), but in the middle of the night I'd get 10-15mbps. I couldn't join video calls and had to go audio only for months. Only after we all complained to Xfinity multiple times, did they split our node and things finally got better. 10Mbps is pretty bad though, I'd consider upgrading the plan, assuming your speed tests are usually close to that limit.

Also something I hadn't considered. I was looking at some plans yesterday; I'm wondering how much of a difference an extra 5Mbps upload speed will make. Jumping up to 20Mbps up requires their top plan I think, and none of us are going to use something like 150Mbps download so it wouldn't be worth it.

Anyway, I talked to roomie today and he clarified that it was Facebook that kicked him off for copyright, not anything to do with our connection. So we might actually be fine, lmao. Thanks for all your help though, definitely stuff to look into.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

highme posted:

What do you both play?

Mostly Drum & Bass, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not sure if this would be a more appropriate question in the Games subforum, but it is network-related so here goes. I'm having endless trouble matchmaking in a particular PS4 game (Aliens Fireteam) and I'm wondering if the problem is at all related to my connection, possibly something in my router that can be altered. Since I got the game months ago, finding people to play with is nigh impossible. I've honestly never fiddled with the PS4 network settings beyond making sure that it's using the hardwired connection and not wireless, is there maybe a port I can dedicate to the device in my home router settings?

The other answer is that nobody is even playing this game anymore. :(

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

skipdogg posted:

What's your network look like? Tell us all the connections between the PS4 and the internet.

The most common issue I've seen with game matchmaking issues is double NAT situations. Using 2 routers in the path can cause a lot of the matchmaking network traffic to fail.

The PS4 is plugged directly into the Hitron CGN3 router from my ISP. Also connected to the router is an ethernet switch for some other devices in my room, and there is another wireless router down the hall that's connected to the ISP router so my roommates can access the internet. If the PS4 bypasses all of these things and goes straight to the ISP router, could this 2 router issue still be the problem?

PS4 shows NAT Type 2 in connection status.

Thanks both of you for your help :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not in a while, lol, but I do remember it being easier to find matches when I was playing Battlefield. It seems that there really is a massive dearth of users for this game. :( Well thanks again for your help, much appreciated.