Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi network people.

I have what I think is a pretty simple question, but I'll give the details for why I'm asking, below.

I have Comcast cable internet. The cable is installed into my back room which I use as an office. I bought a Arris Surfboard SB6183 cable modem. It has one ethernet out jack.

I have a separate wireless router. It's a Netgear AC1750. It has really nice wifi features, and four ethernet ports on the back.

What I want to do is place my wireless router in the middle of the house. But, I want wired Ethernet jacks in my office, where all the computers are. Obviously I could run the ethernet line from the cable modem, under the house, to the wifi router placed in the middle of the house... but then I'd need to run at least one ethernet line back to the office, in order to attach a switch and connect up our computers.

Is it possible to instead put a switch in between the cable modem, and the router? So, I could have the cable go into the modem, one ethernet line come out and go into a switch, then one ethernet line come out of the switch and go to the wifi router. And then... somehow, magically, the wifi router would be able to assign IP addresses to devices attached to the switch. Would that work?

Like this:

Would this work?

If it wouldn't work, what is a better way to do this? I realize I could buy a wifi access point and just wire that into the middle of the house, but that would be more expensive than a switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Aww. I was afraid you'd say something like that.

That's $100 instead of like $25 for a basic switch.

e. Also, I needn't have spent so much on my fancy wifi router if all I was going to do is place an access point. :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So basically, back to Plan A:

Leperflesh posted:

Obviously I could run the ethernet line from the cable modem, under the house, to the wifi router placed in the middle of the house... but then I'd need to run at least one ethernet line back to the office, in order to attach a switch and connect up our computers.

I knew this was an option, anyway.

The cable was installed fairly recently. There's actually a lot of older cable runs and poo poo stuck to the house - like, three separate defunct Dish TVs, all kinds of crap. But the Comcast I had installed a year ago, and at that time I just had them run a fresh one into the office, since there was already a hole in the wall there.

I want to put the wifi into the hall closet, which is right in the center of the house, and a nice place to conceal holes in the floor, runs of wiring, etc. Although it did just occur to me that there's no power outlet there. Hmm. Anyway, re-routing the cable internet didn't occur to me, and that might be a better option anyway.

Thanks for your help, guys. At least now I know what options will work.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

power crystals said I should ask here:

Comcast says I can get up to 800Mbps now, but I need to upgrade my ARRIS SB6183 cable modem (I don't lease, I always buy my own) and the list of compatible cable modems has 46 entries. Do I need 32 DOCSYS channels? Do I need DOCSYS 3.1? Are any of Motorola, Arris, Netgear, HitronTechnologies, Asus, HUMAX, Linksys, or TP-LINK brands I should totally avoid or specifically prefer?

e. I already have a wifi router (Netgear AC1750) so I don't need built-in wifi, I run three PCs, a printer, and a half dozen wifi devices at the same time, I stream 4k TV, I dunno if any of this poo poo matters

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

For speeds under 1 gigabit, DOCSIS 3.0 will work but the number of channels is critical. You'll want at least a 24x8 modem (24 downstream channels, 8 upstream) for an 800 mbit connection. Wouldn't hurt to get a DOCSIS 3.1 modem though, you'll be able to use it when you move up to a gigabit or faster connection and even now it may reduce latency.

OK when I filter by DOCSYS 3.1, 32 down 8 up channels, that narrows it down to just 29 options lol but if I also filter by 1.2Gbps I get 11 and I can eliminate the ones with wifi and that leaves:
Motorola MB8611
Netgear CM2000
Netgear CM2050V
Motorola MT8733 (includes voice which I don't need)
ARRIS S33
HitronTechnologies CODA56
Motorola B12
ARRIS S33v2

Any reason to prefer one of these over the others? I haven't checked prices yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Stellar, thanks TITTIEKISSER69.

e. to support 2.5Gb ethernet, I need... CAT5e, or shoudl I get 6 because why not?

e2. actually my wifi router only has gigabit ethernet ports, hmmmm, my motherboard has 2.5G, hrm hrm

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 13, 2023