Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I've been reading up a bit on modems and routers lately but it's probably best that I ask here before trying anything out. Here's my current situation. I have a 150mbps plan through Cox which is cable broadband. My current modem/router combo is a Netgear N450 Wifi Modem. I also have a Linksys AC1200 Dual-band Router. I know the Netgear is a modem/router combo but when I got a security system installed the hub box couldn't talk to the Netgear. I believe it was because the Netgear just does 2.4Ghz and the Linksys does both bands.

Wireless internet in our house is pretty inconsistent whether we're connected to the Linksys or the Netgear. Wifi on either results in speeds of around 25-50 mbps on a cellphone, but the Playstation can only muster around 10-15 mbps. I believe the Netgear is the bottleneck, with 8/4 dl/ul channels, but I'm not sure. Seems like the Linksys should be able to provide better speeds because it's got a wired connection directly to the modem but it's about the same speed.

What should I look for here? I can try to provide any other info that might help out. I couldn't find the dl/ul for the Linksys to compare. Thanks in advance for your help.

edit: Option available from Cox directly is to pay $12 a month for a modem/router combo. Uh, nope.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Wired tests come back at 150 and 10 up. I just read about the Linksys AC1200 and it's slower speed Ethernet ports so if I opt for a new modem it'll have to go too.

Netgear N450 is a model CG3000Dv2
Linksys AC1200 is a model EA6100

I see a few others around 90m or so away on the same channels as the Netgear on the 2.4Ghz channel. I also noticed that the security box is using the same channel as the Netgear even though it's connected to the Linksys router.

I know the Linksys is a dual band but I only see it on the 5Ghz list. I see that there are channels 36-65 and then 100-165. There's another on the same channel over 100m away, does it make a difference between the higher or lower groups of open channels?

The wifi works fine with our phones. It's mostly an issue with the PlayStation which is sometimes 10mbps DL or less and can't handle streaming video.

Thanks for taking your time to help me out!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Wow, changing the netgear's channel to a less busy one took the ps4 from 20mbps to 60mbps. I did this years ago at an apartment but completely forgot about it here in a house in the suburbs.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I'm having some kind of connection issues with a new cable modem and router. I bought a Motorola MB7621 and a TP-Link AX1800 Archer AX21. Setup seemed to work perfectly and wired and wifi connections were both much faster than my previous setup.

The problem is that every so often the connection just cuts out with both wifi and wired connections. The modem lights don't show any indication that service is interrupted but the router's internet light will go from green to orange to show that there is a problem. Then 30s to a minute later the light goes back to green and everything works nice and steady again.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Reset modem from Cox website,
Turned modem off, unplugged coax cable, waited 5 minutes, replugged coax and turned back on
Various modem off router off resets
Tried a few different ethernet cords between modem and router
Updated router firmware
Reset router to factory settings

Nothing has helped out so far. I can provide other info if it's helpful but I'm not sure what else to try out.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

skipdogg posted:

The modem is probably losing signal lock. Check the GUI for any error messages, and triple check your physical cable connections.

All physical cable connections are solid.

Modem event log has a repeated message in there that is probably the culprit:

Here's the connection list:

Doing a search for those error messages pulls up a bunch of people who have had their service providers out to troubleshoot with no success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Played an always online game for a bit connected directly to the modem and lost connection again. Error message this time was:

"SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync"

This one occurred several minutes before I was booted from the game though.