Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at setting up three rooms with Cat6 drops. Does anyone have a recommendation on good bulk cable? I'm looking at http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10234&cs_id=1023401&p_id=8107&seq=1&format=2 but I didn't know if there was any significant difference between riser and in-wall rated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to get some better wireless performance on my FIOS connection. I've got an E2000 connected to my WDTV player running DD-WRT as a wireless bridge. Rather than have to redo the connection on that I'm toying with just getting a simultaneous dual-N wireless AP that'll connect via gigabit Ethernet to the FIOS modem and point all the actual user-facing clients at that new connection.

I'm getting 1.4-2.1mbps file transfers off my NAS or desktop/home server either three feet from the FIOS modem/wireless router regardless if I'm right next to it or if I'm a room away with semi-line of sight to the router.

Is this doable? Anything I have to work on the FIOS modem to make it happen? Any recommended simultaneous dual-band WAPs that are under the $100ish range?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've got a Netgear Orbi setup - RBR50 and one RBS50. It works fine and dandy, no complaints. I got a text from Comcast saying I was at 90% of my 1.2TB data cap that they've so lovingly imposed. I'm still on a contract with them until September so I can't just switch without shelling out. Is there some way that I can track data consumption by device (MAC ID, hostname, etc.) so I can see what's hitting the hardest and work on it if possible?

The Orbi console doesn't seem to include that feature, and I'd rather not flash them for fear of bricking. I'm OK with installing some kind of firewall device between the modem and router if it's not too expensive and easy enough to work with.