Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Consider a 5th Gen Airport Extreme base station. They are 85 dollars refurbished from Apple right now and do dual band 2.4/5Ghz and are by all accounts rock solid routers. If you want to just set it and forget it, it's what I would pick for my extended family right now. The 85 dollar price tag is pretty decent as well. There are a few dual band routers that are cheaper, but you can count on not having to futz with the AEBS.

I'm trying to take your advice here too. Is dual band 2.4/5Ghz a perfectly no-downsides setup? Because we have 2.4Ghz wireless phone stations in every room. Would I have to do anything special special to get it on 5Ghz?

Edit: I'm beginning to think my problem is network range and wall penetration so that an Airport Extreme isn't quite a solution. I get excellent speeds closer to the router. Should I be looking at point to point or what for boosting coverage of a ~60 mbps connection? Currently sporting a combo modem/router supplied by Verizon (Actiontec MI424WR Rev I) which I'm reading might not support "range extenders".

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU