Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Xenomorph posted:

I use the newest Apple AirPort Extreme at work, and I find it a bit lacking. You must use their app to configure it. No web access. Configuration consists of making a network and making a guest network. I also think you can attach storage to it. That's about it.

Definitely depends on the intended usage. I got a previous-gen Airport for use solely as an AP and it's fantastic. The next time my family needs to upgrade their network they're definitely getting one. "Launch the app and do what it says" is a billion times easier than walking them through a web GUI over the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Clanpot Shake posted:

That explains my lovely wifi despite having a good router.

Any recommendations for a staple gun to run ethernet cord?

I used a Gardner Bender Cable Boss to run UTP and coax around the house. It has a couple different sizes of staples you can get depending on how many wires are in the run.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Massasoit posted:

Maybe an odd question... My apartment is wired with cable jacks in 4 rooms, Ethernet in 4, and phone line in 3 (not sure why they didn't bother putting in phone line in the living room). The cable jacks are all hooked up and working, no idea about phone (who has land lines anymore).

The Ethernet? All wired, but no data pass through from one room to another. I can't find a junction anywhere, and in the basement there is only one Ethernet line labeled for my apartment.

Any thoughts on how I might be able to test out the wiring? I'd love to have streaming devices hard wired vs wireless.

Does your building offer any kind of Internet service? They may all terminate to a central place in the building where they can get patched into the apartment's network whenever service is established.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

CrazyLittle posted:

Don't get the UAP-LR. Just because you can see the access point from your device, doesn't mean that your device is powerful enough for the return trip. The UAP-LR is generally a bad idea.

I can't tell you how many times I've said this exact sentence. Wireless communication is a 2-way street, always keep that in mind.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
And to be honest, run at least two per drop. There's no real difference in labor (get another spool) so just running one is a waste.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

redeyes posted:

Or even more because you can run HDMI and other things over cat 6.

Seriously. I cannot stress this enough. When my parents built their house, we did nearly all of the non-AC wiring. Plan it out, wire like crazy, terminate in a central point, LABEL EVERYTHING, and you'll be loving life once it's all done. I had them hooked up with whole house satellite, network and phone drops everywhere, even multi-zone sound and mounted home theater speakers. They saved their whole lives for that place and we knocked it out of the park. The one thing I didn't include was ceiling runs for wireless access points, but even then that's not a big deal if you've got additional cat6 drops - just add another consumer type AP in whatever area it makes sense.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 5, 2015

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
UniFi gear is awesome. Got a USG, switch and a couple APs to play around with at home, and when the family small biz nuked its gear again I replaced it with UniFi gear as well. Central management, control and reporting with no effort other than "hey talk to this controller" is fantastic.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Moey posted:

Why not just two SSIDs on two VLANs? One for his stuff and one for guest/xbox? Don't use the guest portal and just firewall off the guest VLAN from his.

Because if there's two networks available, one with nag screen and one without, everyone's just gonna connect to the other.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

waloo posted:

Do you actually need AD specifically? I thought you could do this with any appropriately set up RADIUS deployment? E.g. you could use FreeIPA or something instead if so inclined?

Correct, you don't need AD it's just the most common.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

eddiewalker posted:

I have a Synology NAS. I have a ZNC irc bouncer running as a bootstrapped package on that same machine. It's running on a non-standard port, and that port is forwarded to the outside world in my router.

It's been working great for years, but now when I'm away from home, I can only connect with the irc client on my phone when my phone is connected to a wifi network. It will absolutely not connect when I'm on T Mobile LTE.

Strangely, while on LTE I can still connect to the ZNC web admin page which is hosted on the same port.

I've tried switching ports, I've enabled SSL, and I've cleared out the auto-blocked IP list in the Synology GUI. I'm just stumped as to what has changed in the last week.

This sounds like a setting in the IRC client to be honest. Connecting directly to IRC via cellular is a nightmare of disconnections/reconnections so it's probably trying to prevent that, even though connecting through znc mitigates that from affecting the channel.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

eddiewalker posted:

Looks like you're right. Seems like Colloquy mobile is broken.

I tried a different client and it works fine. Colloquy has been garbage for a long time, but I've kept using it just because it's got an iOS push plugin for ZNC.

Thanks. I should've checked that earlier.

No worries. I use IRC via znc on the iPad through the Palaver app, haven't had many issues that I can recall. I believe it also uses push.

knox_harrington posted:

Ridiculously late to this but the storage in ERLs is a USB drive and they really cheaped out on the quality. They fail quite easily when the power is cut. If you replace the stick you could potentially resurrect the router. Or give it to me!

poo poo, that makes a lot of sense. I had a couple die that I replaced with USGs which are nice, but I need the broader ERL feature set at the colo so I've been a bit nervous there. I might just take a couple of these dead units and have redundant border routing there instead. Do you have a link to a guide for swapping the USB sticks, and/or recommendations on a decent replacement?

Edit: googled and found some threads talking about it. I'll have to check and see if I can get them RMAed first before breaking em open.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 3, 2017

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Hmm alright thanks. I do have some AC devices. I am a bit torn so not sure yet

Breakout the functions and never look back. Separate APs/routing/switching fo' lyfe.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

BiohazrD posted:

I have an ERLite-3 with a 10.0.0.0/24 set up internally but I think I want to do a 10.0.0.0/8 (or, realistically a /16) so that I can split certain things into different subnets. I wouldn't expect router on a stick to be a problem with the uplink from my switch being saturated. The switch should be able to handle multiple subnets since they aren't VLANs right?

If you do this (you don't want to) then the router isn't going to be entering the equation until you talk to the Internet since everything from 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255 will be on the same layer 3 network.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Twerk from Home posted:

For the same price I'm paying, I've had my Comcast go from 25mbit, 50mbit, 105mbit, 150mbit, 200mbit down over the last 4 years. In every single case my upload was 10mbit though!

I'd actually be willing to pay more money for a 50/50 plan.

That's very weird. Those speeds all have higher upload than 10Mbit in GA and FL.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
My 10gig cards just came in for my 4-node lab. I spent last night taking backups of everything in preparation of when I inevitably gently caress something up and VSAN shits all over my data.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Just had U-verse fiber installed.

gently caress them for using amber LEDs for gigabit and green for 100Mbit on the modem. That was a delightful monkey wrench in troubleshooting.

Also looks like the UniFi switch does not play well with their IPTV. It would play a feed for ~10 seconds then barf and say connection lost. Wired it directly to their modem and will have to revisit later.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

The Midniter posted:

I bought this to get a wireless connection with an ethernet output in my home office for my VOIP work phone, and it works just fine for that. However, my laptop is drawing its wireless signal from it, rather than the stronger connection from the regular wireless signal coming from my router. Is there any way to configure the access point to only output to the ethernet cable and disable its wireless output, so my laptop is forced to rely on only the signal from my router?

Yes, I used to use one of those. In AP client mode it shouldn't rebroadcast a wireless signal.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
UniFi is awesome for my parents at their house and their small biz. I ran it for a while but I tend to do goofy poo poo every now and then on my network thanks to the home lab so I'm back to an ERL. Still run their APs though. If you have a simple network and don't need to monkey with exotic poo poo then UniFi all day.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I'm not a fan of devices that can have their configuration reset remotely, or that rely on cloud-based services to maintain their configuration.

Agreed, with one exception: if you can self host the cloud portion then that's the way to go. Unifi gear is great for that. I also have been messing with one of their VoIP phones which isn't bad. Same general UniFi idea applied to provisioning desk phones.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
That's the max, not what you'll necessarily actually get. Analogous to wifi where the weaker the signal you have, the lesser throughput you'll get.

I've streamed to my TiVo mini over an 802.11ac connection using some godawful overpriced Asus brick, but I had great signal and it's just me in the house. Contention and signal quality are your biggest trouble spots.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

tuyop posted:

So should I use the same SSID for 2.4 and 5ghz connections or what?

Yep. Don't listen to the AT&T guy.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I figured that would kick the hornet's nest, but I can't remember the last time I've had a client misbehave and I have all manner of weird poo poo. Including a Nest. If you have a device that doesn't play well then I'd argue that you should investigate that defect instead, not change the network design.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Krispy Kareem posted:

Something tells me the Powerlines will work better if only because it's kind of a wired connection. The TiVo doesn't cache or buffer so as far as I can tell even a short break in connectivity is going to make the whole thing alarm.

Yep. It'll start artifacting/pausing/etc if the connection just hiccups but if it gets even a little lovely then the Mini will drop back to the "cannot contact the TiVo unit" screen.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

CrazyLittle posted:

Ubiquiti gear does not check.

This isn't true for all Ubiquiti gear. My US-16-XG didn't work with a few 10G modules or Cisco compatible passive DACs I had lying around for example. Just bought them from fs.com instead.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Just using a decoy SSID won't work, and nobody should ever be suggesting "hidden" SSIDs either as there's really no such thing. It's trivial to tell if someone setup a SSID that's not used because there will be no associated client traffic, just the AP beacons.

Whoever it is (assuming it's on purpose) knows at least a little about what they're doing since they're smart enough to setup an evil twin with a captive portal trying to steal credentials. There's not a whole lot you really can do in that situation. I'd probably setup some kind of spare box to join the network and then write a script to keep hurling garbage at the web portal because I'm petty.

Can you take a screenshot of the portal? Is there any vendor branding or anything on it? I do agree that it sounds more like a misconfigured wireless repeater instead of someone actively being nefarious.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I hate it when things misbehave just enough to be annoying but not so bad you have to fix it immediately. My desktop started feeling sluggish when puttering around on the Internet, but it seemed to be very transient and not too huge of an issue. Then when moving data to my FreeNAS box I noticed that I was only getting around 10MB/s transfers, suggesting there was a 100Mbit link somewhere gumming things up.

Checked the desktop, shows gigabit.
Checked the FreweNAS box, shows gigabit.
Checked the switch interconnect, shows gigabit.

gently caress it, I'll fix it later.

Now, today I'm hooking up my newly refreshed desktop (not being refreshed because of this issue) and while cleaning the desk I realized that I left out one important piece: i'm plugged into the network through my loving VoIP phone's builtin switch. VoIP phone to switch? 100Mbit.

Just another friendly reminder to start at layer 1.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Has anyone used Ubiquiti's in-wall integrated APs? My parents are about to do a new build and I kind of like that idea for bedrooms/non-communal spaces.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Internet Explorer posted:

I haven't seen too much feedback about them, but to me there are a non-started because they are 2.4 GHz only.

Not anymore, at least - looks like the AC models are out of beta and in the regular store.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

EconOutlines posted:

but most of the Q1-Q2 Amazon reviews from this year with any tech semblance behind them seem to indicate that it's feature limited and seems to have been released too early/beta mode vs the ER.

Those people miss the entire point of the USG. It's not meant to compete with the ERL; they've got no reason to cannibalize their own sales. The USG is built to be a no-bullshit, centrally managed and easy to install/manage/maintain device. It does these things remarkably well, at the expense of hiding more esoteric configuration.

I run edgerouter lite units at my house and my lab because I need all the turbonerd functionality. My parents have USG/USW/UAP gear for their entire network and it's absolutely the best decision I could have possibly made.

Before: "The TV streaming is garbage, there's something wrong with our internet." *spend half a day talking them through checking everything it could possibly be*
Now: "The TV streaming is garbage, there's something wrong with our internet." *Log onto controller* "It's not even on the house wireless right now." "Oh yeah, I brought the Myfi inside and must have forgotten to turn it off."

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 8, 2017

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Choadmaster posted:

I don't know why nobody has said this yet, but don't just run cables; put in conduit. I when I remodeled my house I put 2-3 runs of conduit to different walls in every room, terminating in a central closet. If I ever put in a new (or move an existing) tv, computer, or whatever (maybe wired telephones will make a comeback?) it takes 15 minutes to run a cable. If 100 gigabit fiber ever becomes a thing, I can upgrade super easily. Conduit is quite cheap, though I can't speak to the install cost since I did that part myself (it's pretty easy, really).

It was already mentioned as part of the "future proofing" train but yeah, conduit is fantastic.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Matt Zerella posted:

I have Fios coming to install internet tomorrow because I'm cutting the cord. I have a machine running pfsense as my router/firewall. I'm assuming the tech can just connect me straight to the ONT in the closet?

I don't believe they'll install it that way, but I believe there are threads on DSLReports about eliminating their router.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

calandryll posted:

My brother-in-law was asking about modems that support voice, they still use a landline. Are there any alternatives to the the Surfboard SVG2482AC? I told him it'd be better to do the ERX + Unifi setup like what I have. But it looks like the SVG2482AC has pretty much everything built into it.

If they're still using VoIP and require a POTS-style connection then their options are going to be pretty limited. I don't know if Comcast rents out TAs separately anymore, I've only known them to rent out/support gateways with their VoIP TAs built in.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Yeah, this is what I use as a third party test to compare with your own provider's speedtest.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Fil5000 posted:

I'm currently using a C7, but if I wanted to put an EdgeRouter into my setup, I could just disable all the routing functions on the C7 and turn it into a glorified access point, right? Would I still be able to use all the ethernet ports on the C7 like a switch if I did that?

Yeah, that's usually the case. Disable all WAN/routing features and only use LAN ports.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
That first one's pretty much fine. Bring up the ERX, plug into it and hit the GUI on the default IP, run through the 1WAN wizard. Are you plugging the AP into the ERX directly or are you plugging it in through a switch?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Comcast gives you 5mbps upload speeds on everything up to 100mbps.
You have to get a 400mbps plan to get over 10mbps up.
Gigabit was another $5/mo and you get 35mbps up.
It was a no-brainer.

That's got to be regional, because that's not my expeience at all. Upload speeds were proportional to download speeds. My 150Mb plan got around 25Mbit up and even my $20 backup line ("performance" internet) from them gets 50/15.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Edit: meant to post in the homelab thread, sorry

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 11, 2017

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

astral posted:

I wanted to try a Unifi AP at home but drat if that isn't the shortest power cable on the PoE injector. Don't have a PoE switch so I'd have to use the injector. The cable is barely 2ft long - not long enough to reach anywhere from any available outlet near where it needs to be. Don't want to run it on the ground or have a permanent extension cord (or damage furniture by drilling holes to mount it to the side of something and have a bunch of unnecessarily-long network cables reaching down there.

Any reason you can't just run a longer ethernet cable instead?

They're really geared towards usage with a PoE switch anyway.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Shibawanko posted:

I'd like some advice about getting wireless TV reception in my house. Currently I'm getting TV reception through a satellite dish, but recently we got fibreglass access. Several companies here offer all in one phone tv and internet packages over fibreglass and they'll install it for you, so I'd like to switch to fibreglass and add a second TV to another room in my house via either a wireless signal or a powerline. Over the phone, most of these companies told me that wifi is basically not very suitable to TV signals because of interference, and that I should use powerline, some companies try to sell you a powerline set for this purpose.

I live in a big, weird rear end house and the point where the fibreglass comes in is in an inconvenient location. Without going too much into details it's basically impossible to lay new wires around the house. I also have some doubts about powerline, the electrical wires in this house were laid in the late 70's. Right now I'm using a powerline to get internet from one part of the house to another part, and it works okay, but that's just 1mbit internet. If i try to make a connection that stretches too far, the signal indicator light turns from green to orange, so I'm assuming there's probably a limit to how effective powerline will be for a TV signal.

What's the best way to do this? Is TV over wifi really out of the question, even if I use a powerful router or something? Will it have too much interference with the wifi network used for internet? Is powerline always good or is there maybe some other option for doing this?

Doing TV over wireless is possible. UVerse will hook up a separate wifi access point for their child boxes and it's worked OK in the little bit of time I've messed with it. If you start trying to stream TV over a normal wireless network with a bunch of other things connected things tend to go real south real quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
First define the use case then we'll be able to steer you in the right direction. What problem are you trying to solve?