Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Does anyone have experience with the Arris BGW210 used for AT&T fiber installations? I have a Turris Omnia I'd like to use for Wi-Fi. The BGW has an IP passthrough setting and I'm wondering if that's what I'll want to enable to turn the BGW into a bare-minimum gateway. I'd like all the LAN and Wi-Fi traffic to go through the Turris.

The BGW admin portal info pane defines IP passthrough as:

quote:

Passthrough: Allows the device's public IP address to be assigned to a single LAN client. There may be situations where Passthrough is not allowed.

It seems like this feature singlehandedly relegates the BGW to performing WAN duties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

thiazi posted:

It isn’t quite so cut and dry, but yes the pass through mode essentially does what you want. I have it myself and am using an edge router behind it for my network. Does fine.

I see. I'll give it a shot. And if I have issues, perhaps I'll ask for clarification as to what you mean by "not so cut and dry." Thanks for the encouragement to take the next step.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

hooah posted:

I just did exactly this. I used this guide and it worked pretty well. The wifi radios on the BGW didn't turn off as expected, so I had to follow this thread on the AT&T forums.

Edit for my own stuff:
Evidently I didn't quite get the right equipment. I thought the USW Flex Mini distributed PoE, but it can just be powered by it. So the in-wall AP I bought for my office wouldn't work. I just ordered a Switch Lite 8 to replace it with. Unfortunately it seems that Ubiquiti doesn't do returns? At least it was only $30...

Turris Omnia migration complete, but not all desired features are functional.

I am trying to basically have the same SSID offer 2.4/5 Ghz and have clients connected to whichever they are able to connect to.

No luck.

Tried enabling 802.11r thinking that this might be what I want. My basic research indicates these features relate to band steering, but unclear the precise distinctions.

So far the 2.4/5 radio is nonfunctional. The 2.4 radio is taking all traffic.