Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Strict 9 posted:

I'm the IT guy at a small (15 person) office. We currently have two 15 port Netgear switches, Comcast cable, DSL backup, and a Fortinet router.

I'd like to replace the Fortinet with something I have more control over. For one, doing port forwarding is a pain with this. Second, I'd like to setup some kind of QOS for things like Spotify, Rdio, Netflix and other things - we're a laid back office but I can't have those things interfering with actual work.

Lastly, I need a way to limit upload speeds. We produce videos on Youtube and when those upload they basically shutdown the network.

I use DD-WRT at home, but is this something I can accomplish with one of the routers listed on the home page? Would those handle 20 computers? Also, I believe I'd need something with two WAN ports if I want to switch to our backup, right?

You should visit the Mikrotik thread.

edit: I hate to be that guy, but after reading the first post.... really? I know you mention Mikrotiks further down, but Mikrotiks do everything you could want out of DDWRT and Tomato, and unless you need to run custom software + crons it covers the base of OpenWRT too. And Ubiquiti? Mikrotiks do it much better as well. I know there's already a nice big Mikrotik thread here but it seems silly that people keep pushing Tomato, DDWRT, etc when they're always on horrible, flaky consumer hardware. They were wonderful firmwares 5 years ago when we didn't have much for options, but these days you can't beat the functionality and power of the Mikrotiks.

/end rant.

feld fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

American Jello posted:

If mikrotik could make a functional web gui and a 'quick set up' type feature (dhcp client/server/nat/wifi already set up out of the box), I think they would blow all the other consumer stuff out of the water.

e: Nobody can tell me with a straight face that they'd recommend their mom buy a mikrotik.

It has always come with a default config, which I tend to just wipe off. Mikrotik comes with a default network of 192.168.88.0/24 and it's all setup for you to just plug in your modem into eth1.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

The.Big.Dirty.Emu posted:

What's the best home VPN solution? All I'm really looking to be able to do is mount iSCSI shares when I'm away from home for time machine backups.

:suicide:

No. Do not. NO.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Triikan posted:

If both devices are gigabit, you shouldn't even need a crossover cable, as they should auto-negotiate the connection.

Yup. Unless it's some horrible device that doesn't have MDI/MDIX

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Vargatron posted:

I know this really isn't focused upon in the realm of home networking, but does anybody know of a good guide that explains subnetting? I didn't see an enterprise networking thread so I thought I'd start here.

What exactly are you looking to know? Here's some easy multiple choice:

• What is it?
  • Why do we do it?
  • Teach me the math

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Vargatron posted:

I guess the math would be the main thing I'd like to understand. I understand that subnetting is used to divide a network into segments and to get around the impending IPv4 exhaustion that is upon us. I've got bits and pieces of it, but I'm failing to see the big picture I think.

There are also other important things like creating broadcast domains. You don't want broadcast traffic flying across a giant flat network. That's a horrible mess.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Boner Wad posted:

Any thoughts on building a really tiny PC with a few Ethernet ports on the back? I've looked at Soekris boxes in the past and they seem way overpriced especially for the speed and compute power.

I'd really rather just install OpenBSD or Linux and do everything myself with pf or iptables.

I'd much rather have a small form factor though instead of using older computers in full cases.

Any ideas?

My firewall is an Alix 2D3. Its CPU is aging but it runs OpenBSD like a champ and that weird AMD chip can offload some crypto. Running PFSense is a bit heavy but pure OpenBSD is great -- it should be able to pump near 100mbit through PF. Don't try to run anything heavy on it though. SNMP, Unbound, PF, DHCP, ... the basics work great and you get the power of OpenBSD :shobon:

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

albear posted:

How does it compare to a router loaded with DD-WRT or OpenWRT?

Why does everyone compare everything on the market to DD-WRT or OpenWRT?

Do you need full control of an embedded Linux distro? No, you don't need something like OpenWRT

Do you want a mediocre web interface running on sub-par hardware? Fine, compare it to DDWRT

--

Anyway, if this Watchguard is like any of the others (regular x86 hardware) you can just put pfSense on it if you don't like what they ship with it. :)

NOTinuyasha posted:

DD-WRT is just a total disaster and nobody cares about the documentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

All repeaters effectively halve your bandwidth.

Also, that WRT54GL is getting quite long in the tooth...