Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Can anybody tell me why I should NOT get the Apple Airport Express access point?

My home network is 100% Windows (except for my ESXi server which has Ubuntu servers, etc). However, my only wireless devices are an iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPad 2.

I'm looking for something with 802.11n (for max speed on the iOS devices), and that has decent range. (my home is small, but I'd like to use it at least on my front porch, etc)

I really like the idea of the Airport Express but just want to make sure it's the right one for me before I order...

(Also, where's the best place to order? Apple.com? [there is no close Apple store near my house])

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Yeah, I like to get a bunch of opinions before making a decision :)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Can anybody recommend me a wireless access point? (I'm using pfSense with a SuperMicro board as my router)

The device that uses the wireless 95% of the time is my iPad 2 and I will be buying an iPad 3 (most likely) when it's released.

The other devices are:

PS Vita (just purchased)
iPhone 4S (5% of the time)
iPhone 4 (rarely uses wireless)

Nintendo Wii (barely ever used what-so-ever)

I'm thinking I want an 802.11n 2.4 GHz device with dual-band (for older 802.11g devices but I may not even need that) I'd also like decent range even though my current house is fairly small but I'll be moving soon.

The Apple Airport Extreme sounds nice especially since the iPad is really the only wireless device I use.

Right now I'm using a Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco2 but it seems to have terrible range...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Oh, I don't mind at all messing with networking configuration.

My router is pfSense running on a SuperMicro board in a 1U rack case and my switch is a Dell PowerEdge 24-port managed switch... (I only mention this to let you know I enjoy messing with the smaller enterprise grade equipment)

Is there something better than the Apple access point but more difficult to configure or something?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

How good is QoS for home connections? What can I expect?

I'm running pfSense for my home internet connection (it's a business internet account, but that doesn't provide me anything special) and I'd like to start using VOIP but I'm often downloading or playing games (on the internet), etc.

Right now if I want to play a game I manually stop all downloads, etc.

However, if I start using VOIP I need to make sure it always works and if my wife wants to make a phone call it won't matter what else is happening on the network.

I also don't want to limit or cap my bandwidth (i.e. a lot of QoS algorithms seem to make you limit your bandwidth to 90% to allow for QoS to work properly).

Can anybody give me any advice on this? What can I realistically expect with pfSense + QoS and VOIP?

EDIT: What concerns me is that I can only prioritize the packets I'm sending to my ISP. I can't prioritize the incoming packets (i.e. if I'm downloading at full speed while trying to make a VOIP call, etc)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks for the info!

My ISP doesn't offer powerboost (or anything similar) so I'm just getting a straight 25/3.

I've done several speedtests (about 10x or so) and here's the maximum I'm getting:

Download speed: 23.32 Mbit/s (max)
Upload speed: 2.34 Mbit/s (max)

I think that's pretty close to my rated speed because I know there is packet overhead, etc.

Are those the numbers I should enter into the QoS wizard or should I go slightly lower? (although, I hate the idea of entering a LOWER amount and forcing my connection to go slower just so I can perform QoS, but what can you do?)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

How does the Asus RT-AC66U compare to the latest Apple Airport Extreme?

I've ordered the RT-AC66U because it was only a little bit more expensive and it has 802.11ac draft support, but I'm wondering if I made the right decision. (my wireless devices are almost all Apple devices)

Range/distance is pretty much most important to me...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Where is the best location in a two-story house (with attic and basement) for my wireless access point?

Right now I have it in the basement, which is (obviously?) the worst because my 2.4 GHz is OK on the first floor, but the 5 GHz is pretty bad and completely unusable outside the house.

I'm thinking about placing the AP in my pantry closet on the first floor but then the wireless still has to penetrate walls...

What's the ideal location?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks for the information everybody.

I'm suprised that the 5 GHz range is so small... I was hoping to at least cover one floor of the house or something like that.

Anyways, one last question... is it best to name the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz with the same SSID or use seperate ones?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Can anybody recommend a 24+ port switch? I've been using a Dell PowerConnect 2824 and I think it's finally given up.

It's going to be used in my home network, but I want something managed that can be rackmounted.

I've never needed power over ethernet, but it seems that could be interesting so I'd love to get that built-in unless it's incredibly more expensive. (i.e. I can add modules to power raspberry pi's over ethernet and if I ever add home security cameras, etc)

Anybody have any suggestions? I'd probably be most comfortable using Cisco (or other "name-brand" or "high-end" stuff)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Interesting! Thanks for the suggestions!

Any idea how they compare to the Cisco SG200-26P? ($359 at NewEgg; on sale from $599) I know the Cisco only has PoE on 12 ports which is plenty for my setup, but seems worse than the Ubiquity gear? (EDIT: And the Cisco only does 100W max PoE I think)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks. I think since I'm going to invest a decent amount of money and for the price difference, I might go for PoE to future-proof myself.

Also, the more I read it seems like the Ubiquity UniFi switches require a controller (software?) running, so I think I'd rather the web-interface configuration of the EdgeSwitch. However, I've also read about the upcoming UAP-AC-PRO that also requires the controller? I'm still interested in opinions on the Cisco versus these switches though...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

So... I'm still looking at a new 24+ port switch and so far I'm considering the UniFi Switch, UniFi EdgeSwitch, and Cisco SG200.

However, I just noticed the MikroTik - CRS125-24G-1S-RM. It's a 24-port switch with a built-in MicroTik router (running RouterOS which I've heard good things about).

Right now I'm running a dedicated SuperMicro X7SPA pfSense box, but I do like the idea of getting rid of that and having just one router/switch. Can the UniFi work similarly? If not, has anybody got any opinion on the MicroTik? Seeing as how it's half the price of the UniFi Switch, I'm guessing it's nowhere near as good in quality or capability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Antillie posted:

The CRS125-24G-1S-RM is a great switch but its routing performance is rather poor if try to use it as an edge device with NAT and firewall rules and such (~200mbps apparently). In a typical home network setup a consumer router will beat it for WAN <-> LAN throughput by several hundred megabits. Its not that the CRS125-24G-1S-RM is a bad device. Its just that its a switching platform with a modest router tacked on. For straight up routing I think I would prefer to go with an EdgerouterX or Edgerouter Lite but as a layer 3 switch the CRS125-24G-1S-RM looks great. Have a look at the performance numbers at the bottom of this page and see which testing scenario more closely matches your use case.

Unless your budget is in the tens of thousands of dollars you are generally going to want separate devices for your routing vs your switching. The EdgerouterX almost breaks this rule but for the most part enterprise grade hardware (that doesn't cost a fortune) is either really good at routing or really good at switching, not both.

Thanks very much for the information.

I think I've settled on the EdgeSwitch Lite (ES-48-LITE-US) for $399.99.

I don't really need PoE and if I do, the prices for injectors seem to be extremely cheap. Therefore, I'd rather put the money into upgrading from a 24-port to 48-port switch. I've also considered the HP 1920-48G ($429.00) and Cisco SG300-28 ($369.27) but for some reason I seem drawn to the EdgeSwitch Lite.

Anybody have any last minute suggestions to change my mind? I'm also going to purchase a patch panel to make things look nicer on my rack.