Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I'm switching my office's internet providers and I'll need my own router/ap. What's the recommendation now? Its literally 2 computers and the voip phone. I should be able to have a wire at my desk, but I'll still want wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

If I need a router with more than 5 ports, what's the recommendation? The 8-port Edgerouter (non X) or something else?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

I'm gettin fiber installed at my office, 3 cat 5 drops for the offices and front desk, a wifi AP and then the printers. I guess my concern was putting the two office connections on a switch. I'm not anticipating having more than one device in them at the moment, but plan on adding networked printers to them at some point in the future (where I'd just put a switch in each office.)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Do you want the Wifi and Printers on different VLANs than everything else? How would you like to architect this network?

Before I started counting, the plan was each office/front desk on one port and the AP directly into the router. Everything on the same because of the NAS and printers.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

The point that Twerk is making is that you only need extra ports on a router if you are doing something fancy with them, and even then it's generally not the right technical solution. A gigabit switch plugged into a router with 1 cable going from switch to router and everything else plugged into the switch is going to be what you want.

Modem (if needed) -> Router -> Switch -> WAPs and clients

[Edit: Also, if the drops are new have them run 2 or 4 ethernet cables per run instead of 1. You don't want a switch in each office if you can avoid it and generally the cost of running a few cables is very similar to running one, just because the work is similar and the materials cost is minimal.]

That's what I was confused about. It felt better (or "better") to have each room be on its own port on the router and then do switches from there if necessary. The fiber company is doing the drops, so I'm not sure if they can do more than one (at least for free.)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

The simplest way of thinking about it is:

• Switches/hubs share a network with a group of devices so they can all talk to each other
  • Routers act as a traffic director and route traffic between networks

This makes a lot of sense, thank you.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Is the power injector that comes with the Ubiquiti Unifi AC Lite enough to power it and the edgerouter x?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

unknown posted:

Just watch out that if you're looking at the ac pro version of the wifi units don't run 24v passive poe, but 48v!

R.

I ordered the lite, but that's what was confusing me. Was having a hard time telling which used which and what was rated at what.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Got the fiber installed at my office today and the edgerouter & ap set up. Works great! Just wanted to thank y'all for pointing me in the right direction.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

So my brother is building a barn/garage. Its not too far from his house, but it is a big metal sided building, so his current wifi won't reach out there. He's asked me how he can get wifi out there. At the moment, he has yet to run electric or anything else out; so my thought was that he could make an ethernet run from his current router out there, then put a wifi access point out there.

But I'm not sure if that's the best way to handle it, nor how that would work with the existing wifi. I'd like something that's going to be as hands off and cheap as possible.

Any suggestions?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

This. Stick a PoE-powered wifi access point on the end of it in the shed, and feed it/ power it from the main building

OK, any recommendations for which ap to get?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

derk posted:

as always, Ubiquiti

How will take work with the network he's already got? Also how idiot proof is it?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

hooah posted:

How do you figure it's the same price? I bought my router (not a Netgear Lovecraftian Horror) for ~$80. The Ubiquity AC alone is that much.

High-end routers run $200ish, you can get an Edgerouter X for $50, a non-managed 8-port switch for $25 (obvi more if you need more ports) and then a Ubiquity AP Lite for ~$80-90 that will be better and more flexible.

efb with links even.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

eames posted:

the router at my parent's house died, I'm looking to replace it with Ubiquiti gear because of all the rave reviews.

Is the Edgerouter X with a little power supply capable of powering one Ubiquiti AP or do I need the ER-X-SFP for that?

Their site says "Passive PoE Passthrough*"
"*Requires 24V passive PoE or a 12W minimum power adapter (not included)."

I'm running an edgerouter-x and an ap lite off the pie injector that came with the ap.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

All the Pi-Hole discussion got me thinking. Has anyone run the Unifi controller and Pi-hole on the same raspberry pi? If so how'd it run?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Armacham posted:

Good question. I was going to try running the controller for my tplink access points alongside pihole, so I can at least let you know how that goes.

Please, I'm moving into a new house soon and planning on setting up an all unifi network. Would love to only need 1 RPi.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Couple quick questions.

1. My parents need a new wifi router. Is the TP-Link Archer C59 just a AC1350 version of the C5? It appears to be, but wanted to check.

2. I'm moving soon and will be running ethernet between a few rooms before I get moved in. My plan at the moment is to have a Unifi switch coming off a USG, then run from the switch into the other room that needs wired. Will putting a non-managed switch at the other end affect things?

Basically, I'll have my PC and Pihole and Router in one room, and the PS4, switch and Chromecast in the other. I'd like to get away with running as few wires as possible.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

skipdogg posted:

That won’t be a problem

Sweet. Making a trip to microcenter tomorrow to pick stuff up. Been waiting all week.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

apropos man posted:

Assuming that question 1 and 2 are relating to two different houses. The plan for question 2 is fine. The only caveat being is that if you wish to start using VLANS further down the line to separate devices onto their own VLAN groups then you may run into problems using a cheap, unmanaged switch.

If you only intend to have everything on the same network it'll be fine.

Yeah, they are for different houses. The parents are currently using my old RT-N66u flashed with tomato and since I won't be there to fix it if it goes wrong, I figured they should get something new.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Speaking of TP-Link routers. I got a C59 Archer to set up at my parents. 95% of the time, it's great. However, it seems that after 3 or so days without a reboot, the wifi loses connection to the internet. Now I'm not sure that will matter too much, but it seems odd if only because of how consistent it is.

The router is set up on PPPoE through their DSL modem. I almost wonder if it doesn't renew the DSL connection properly, but I haven't nailed it down. Any thoughts?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

I’ve heard good things about Google WiFi. And the Netgear Orbi, but that’s a price tier higher up.

There’s also the Ubiquiti Amplifi, but I don’t know what their approach to that product line is or whether the three people who were championing it internally got bored or left or whatever.

Ubiquiti just came out with a cheaper version of the Amplifi with only one mesh point. No idea how well it works, but they're at least still working on the product line.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

KKKLIP ART posted:

I got my USG and Unifi AC Lite allcset up and my raspberry pi running the Unifi software and PiHole. Freenas box updated and everything is working like a charm. The Ubiquiti web GUI is super nice and I’m glad I went all Unifi instead of mixing with the ERX

I went with an ER-X and AC Lite at my office a few years ago and it's been fine. I splurged when I bought a house and went all unifi. I'll be switching the office over at some point now. I think part of the reason I like the unifi set up better is because of the always on controller I've got, but having everything in one is super nice.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

DNK posted:

No. You need a computer running some software to set up the network. That said, the video has a thing called a “CloudKey” that you leave plugged into the switch and runs the software 24/7. This isn’t necessary, but it is handy.
There's also ways to run the controller in the cloud on like Amazon AWS. I've got it going on a raspberry pi.

There's certain things you need the controller software running all the time to do, otherwise you can just run it when you need to make changes/update.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Deviant posted:

WTF is unifi controller software and how does it differ from me going to 192.168.1.1 and changing settings?

With Unifi you don't go to 192.168.1.1 or whatever to change settings. You connect to the unifi controller and manage everything in one place.

Unlike the all in one units that ISPs give out, you need 3 distinct pieces of hardware for a full unifi setup. The controller provisions their settings. It doesn't have to run all the time unless you want certain features. You can play around with a mock controller here: https://demo.ubnt.com/manage/site/default

Personally, I'm running the controller on a raspberry pi and it's pretty cool.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Yes, that demo is a USG + Unifi Switchs + Unifi APs.

You do log into the edgerouter like you described before. To config the AP, you have to run the controller software somewhere make your changes, and have them pushed out. It doesn't have to stay running past that, but you get extra network graphs and guest splash pages if you do.

I mean, I run an edgerouter X + a dumb switch and an AP lite at my office and its fine. If I need to make changes to the Wifi, or update firmware or whatever, I have to log into the edgerouter and do those changes then run the controller log into it and make changes to the AP.

On my unifi setup at home, I just log into the controller and make changes to whatever.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

Amazon just bought Eero, gently caress

Now they're gonna get all my internet searches and throttle my Netflix and force me to watch Prime junk

I love Eero and am sad this is happening - is there any suitable alternative? Google Wifi?

if someone getting your internet searches is a problem, I would guess that google wifi isn't a good alternative.

Seems like all the mesh wifi systems are all varying degrees of good. Whether they're worth the money is another question.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

So my father has just discovered the internet of things. He recently bought and installed wifi enabled garage door openers. Two in his house's attached garages and one out in the barn.

The problem is that the barn doesn't really get a wifi signal. Here, enjoy this crude drawing illustrating the situation.

The wifi has to go through 3 walls, then about 60 feet into the metal barn.

Barn is split off at the pole on its own circuit, so no powerline. Point to point seems like overkill, but mesh stuff don't seem like enough.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

CubanMissile posted:

He might even be able to get away with buying one UAP-AC-M for $90, try putting it on the barn and pointing it at the house, or try putting it on the outside of the house and pointing it at the garage door opener, and seeing if he can get a good enough signal. The garage door opener probably doesn't need much to work. I would try this option first.

I'll see if he's up to try this. They're scheduled to get fiber in the next year or so. He may just wait until then to do anything.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Our current setup is a spectrum modem/router and it’s just awful. Budget is probably 600 (...ish) but that has to include an el cheapo Netgear CM500 and a couple of B+ kits for the PiHoles so really 400ish (“ish” means it can probably be 480 but probably can’t be 530).

Maybe I should just wait for the UDM?

You can get by with a dumb switch unless you need to do vlan tagging or something more fancy.

Same with the USG, the edge router X + a dumb switch + UAP lite or pro or whatever is total like $200 and does what you're asking. You lose the centralized controls, but save a fair bit.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

So I read a rumor that the cloud key on the UDM can't be used to manage other stuff (I knew that you couldn't use an existing cloud key to manage a UDM but not that you might not be able to manage other devices with the UDM's cloud key)?

Is it possible that the UDM is not going to be good?

:ohdear:

I think its the other way around, you can't add the UDM to existing cloud keys; it'll let you expand.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah I saw that.. is there any reason for an access point over a wireless router, or should I just check out routers?

Without getting too technical. You need both, a router to tell traffic where to go and an access point so wifi devices can connect to the network. What you're referring to as a "router" is an all in one box that has both of those things together (along with a switch that lets you connect multiple wired devices).

All in one boxes like the Archer C7 are generally simpler to use. A combo like an Edgerouter-x and an nanoHD are more powerful but take more setup.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Less Fat Luke posted:

The Unifi/Ubiquiti stuff seems high end but somehow every single time my Cloudkey has lost power or been shutdown it completely corrupts itself, either needing a factory reset and reload of the firmware or in now two separate cases an RMA of the device. I guess I'll migrate my configuration to a docker container running the same software but holy hell I don't understand how these things are so fragile.

They added a battery to the second gen cloudkeys for this reason. I've had the controller running on a raspberry pi 3b+ and it hasn't given me any problems the couple of times we've lost power.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

On a related note to the mesh wifi systems. What are the effective ranges for them? My brother didn't take my advice and run an ethernet cable out to his new barn, but still wants wifi.

I'm thinking that getting a mesh system, then putting one in the corner of his house closest to the barn, then another in the corner of the barn closest to the house might get us there. The biggest issue is that the barn has metal siding, but the barn is maybe 25 feet from the corner of the house mentioned above.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

Is separating 2.4 and 5ghz to separate SSIDs a scrubs move for people with lovely gear, or are there valid reasons to do it?

Some devices have problems in that situation, but that's an edge case.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

E2M2 posted:

So I got a Google WiFi setup but my dad is moving into the inlaw unit in the backyard and all it has is an Ethernet cable running back to it. What do I buy and what do I read up on how to get another access point in there? The unit is probably like 100 ft from the nearest wifi node so there a very bad signal to the unit. Could I get a cheap router to connect and configure to get a point out there?

If there's ethernet there, can't you just add another google wifi pod?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

RocketLunatic posted:

Just a quick trip report - rather than go with PiHole on my old Raspberry Pi3, I decided to setup Adguard Home (https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome)

So far, impressed. It was simple to get running and switch my DNS over to on the main ER-X router. It feels great to remove adblockers on my browsers in my various devices. The only issue I have is that I can't use those dumb "deal sites" that might link me to sales here and there, because they run through crappy tracking link services or whatever. But that's fine.

What does this do that pihole doesn't?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

withoutclass posted:

Don't most of the APs come with an injector? Both my AC Pro and FlexHD have.

The AP lite I bought like 4 years ago did. The AP pro I bought about 18 months ago did not.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

KKKLIP ART posted:

It ran fine on my Pi until it didn't, seems like it sometimes doesn't like being run off SD card.

Yeah. Mine did that when the SD card filled up. I'm running it off a bigger card and doing the log2ram thing. Works fine except for the time it didn't.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sounds like as long as I use the 8 GB version and a sufficiently large SD card, I should be fine, should probably still be cheaper than a Cloudkey 2, right?

edit: wrong. $75 for the Rpi 8 GB before anything else.

I mean I'm running on a RPi 3B+ which only has a gig of ram and haven't noticed any problems with pihole and the controller running. Here's my readout:

pre:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ps -u 1000 fu
USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
pi        6853  0.1  0.3  12236  3644 ?        S    18:26   0:00 sshd: pi@pts/0
pi        6856  3.4  0.3   8488  3716 pts/0    Ss   18:26   0:00  \_ -bash
pi        6868  0.0  0.2   9788  2532 pts/0    R+   18:26   0:00      \_ ps -u 1
pi        6836  1.5  0.6  14596  6660 ?        Ss   18:26   0:00 /lib/systemd/sy
pi        6839  0.0  0.3  36356  3036 ?        S    18:26   0:00  \_ (sd-pam)
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:         999028      410024       40652       47816      548352      475960
Swap:        102396       26368       76028

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Rescue Toaster posted:

I found that using the unifi controller docker image w/ a raspberry pi is invaluable. If you're not comfortable with that, then probably just buy the little Unifi controller thing. If you don't want to do either of those I generally don't recommend unifi to people anymore.

I've got the unifi controller set up in apt-get. Whenever the web interface says there's an update I just log in and update everything on the pi. Might switch to docker when I build my new plex/Nas box