Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Howdy,

I'm a big dummy when it comes to networking stuff and it's pretty much just magic to me how things happen.

I have a WRT160NL router and I'm getting 50 mbs when my computers are hooked up to the network and around 100 when one is directly connected to the modem. I understand that there is going to be a performance jump when it's directly connected but is there a way to increase performance over the network? Like can I get a better router or am I'm getting decreased performance because other computers ar eon the network even if they're off.

Sorry, I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff and I don't want to buy a new router if it's not going to help at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Just wanted to make sure, the one in the OP is still the recommended one correct, the apple one? And thanks man!

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I only saw like two cat 5 ports on the back, so I'm going to need a switch if I have five wired connections needed? Is that going to mess with any performance?

Basically, I've got three/four computers using cables and a Xbox one to hook up to the network.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 24, 2014

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I got the base station and switch, for around 200 bucks.

Thanks bros

Texibus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 24, 2014

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Yup, that's what the speed tests say.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
What is the recommended wireless router for a medium sized home these days? Lots of devices connecting wireless to it and about 4 hardwired.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Moved into an a new area and have fiber to the house for the first time, and I don't really want to pay Centurylink for their wireless router(which I don't think is very good). From my research it appears I need a router that does PPPOE Auth and 201 tagging in order to dump the one they supplied to me. Seems like I need one of the Edgerouter models and an Access point? What are my options, don't really want to spend more than 200 bucks.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Anyone with AT&T fiber able to use your own router directly from the ONT box? It looks like unlike other fiber services AT&T has loaded security certificates or something on to their gateway/router which basically forces you to use that box to get on their network.

Appreciate the advice, just settling a bet with a friend.

Basically, do you need to use AT&T equipment outside of the ONT to get on their fiber network?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
But it just has to do with the firmware loaded on to the modem/router combo, correct? Like typically with a fiber network you can just run ethernet from the ONT to a router to get signal to the home.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
How difficult would it be to replace the C3000z Router/Modem from CenturyLink with something better/safer? We have a fiber connection with them. We have a small house 800 sq ft, but we use wifi, no real budget. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texibus
May 18, 2008

H2SO4 posted:

What are your current pain points? With a small area and straightforward requirements you're likely gonna be in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" territory.

Well, It is giving a weak wifi signal to the front of the house causing streaming issues. Also, sort of not stoked paying a 120 bucks a year for a piece of hardware i could own.