Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I recently setup a VPN connected to my router, then I installed a script to only route a single specific port (TCP 52751) on one machine through the VPN and to direct all other traffic as normal.

I *think* it's working correctly but I'm networking retarded so frankly the fact that I've gotten this far is miraculous. Checking my IP through my browser shows my normal non-VPN IP, which is what I want. My question is how can I check to see that traffic going through that specific port is going through the VPN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Don Lapre posted:

Which you can get for $59.99 now

http://www.t-mobile.com/accessories...als+LLC&irgwc=1

These are AC68u's and can be flashed to ac68u firmware.

Oh sweet thanks.

Fake edit: their fuckin website set off fraud protection on both my credit cards before I could finally get my order through. Pain in the rear end.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Don Lapre posted:

Which you can get for $59.99 now

http://www.t-mobile.com/accessories...als+LLC&irgwc=1

These are AC68u's and can be flashed to ac68u firmware.

Well it took me about 4 hours of troubleshooting but I finally got one of these flashed and working with the latest Merlin firmware!

If anybody else is thinking about grabbing one of these be warned that it is rather involved to get non-T-Mobile firmware installed. Hell of a deal though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Someone was asking me about how I flashed one of those T-Mobile hotspot routers into an AC68U so I figured if anyone else needs help now or sometime in the future I could just post what I PM'd him:

EDIT: Just found this new guide that's probably a lot more informative and concise than the one I followed and the stuff I wrote: https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=92546119&postcount=5816

I used this guide: https://slickdeals.net/f/8680195-t-mobile-wifi-cellspot-ac-router-asus-rt-ac68u-99-for-non-t-mobile-customers-free-shipping

And this which is linked in part 2 of the first link: https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=73690012&postcount=3895

The CFE flashing part is the hard/semi-dangerous part. When you're messing with the base firmware you basically can't brick the router because you can just enter recovery mode and reflash but if you gently caress up the CFE the router is toast unless you do some MUCH more difficult stuff (I think, I'm no expert!)

Make sure to download everything first. The T-Mobile 1703 firmware, the MTD-Write v2 file, the CFE v1.0.2.0 or v1.0.2.1, and a hex editor or the automatic CFE Editor (I used the automatic CFE editor and it worked great!)

I also had to use this Tomato firmware as an intermediate step before I could go from the T-Mobile firmware and Asus CFE to Merlin 378.55. https://slickdeals.net/?adobeRef=b5...124-VPN-64K.trx

If you're doing Merlin for the final firmware a big pitfall is that for some reason you can't go directly from an older firmware to the latest Merlin, you have to use Merlin 378.55 first and THEN you can flash the latest Merlin.

It's honestly not too hard as long as you have everything prepared in advance (I did not) and you realize that for some reason Merlin needs to install an older version first before you can do the latest (I did not.)

Remember that you'll probably have to reenable Telnet/SSH on the router whenever you flash a new firmware/clear the NVRAM. I used WinSCP rather than the Windows Telnet interface to send commands to the router but either should work.

So in conclusion here's all the poo poo you need:

Asus recovery program to enable easy flashing from Windows: http://www.filedropper.com/utrtac68u4292
(not necessary but easier than doing recovery mode from an internet browser)

Old T-Mobile firmware v1703 to enable SSH/Telnet: http://www.filedropper.com/fwtmac190030043761703

CFE v1.0.2.0: https://mega.nz/#!IxZTAbDZ!Rardt8pN-ULyYk9ak_O2X-g-YhPWauuH-tByYIvWYgY
(there's also a slightly newer v1.0.2.1 available that they pulled the recommendation for for reasons I did not bother to find if you'd prefer to use that)

MTD-Write v2: https://mega.nz/#!R4AWkJSQ!pGw1Vl0j6qS9kYhbOtpvsgbKf-VIRfWRw61HhmIqRDM
(also a v3 available they don't recommend for reasons I didn't bother to find)

Automatic CFE editing program: https://mega.nz/#!9kZjGS6C!tTOddFCpoJNgobda4efk-5rN6m96m1u8ouCshw0qx-Q
(I used this and it worked great but you can do it manually too if you don't trust some random anonymous dude's program)

Hex editor for PC: http://download.cnet.com/HxD-Hex-Editor/3000-2352_4-10891068.html
(use this if you want to do it manually or to double check if the automatic version comes out the same as your manual one, they recommend iHex if you're using a Mac)

Tomato firmware because it has trouble updating from a T-Mobile firmware and Asus CFE to another firmware but this one will work: https://slickdeals.net/?adobeRef=b5...124-VPN-64K.trx

And your chosen final firmware. If you wanna do Merlin here's the links...

Merlin 378.55: https://www.mediafire.com/file/s3u28487h8pfplr/RT-AC68U_378.55_0.zip
(use as an intermediate version or you won't be able to successfully flash the latest version)

Merlin 380.63_2: http://www.mediafire.com/file/37rpc5x32rtow5c/RT-AC68U_380.63_2.zip
(latest version as of this writing)

Everything I posted here besides the Merlin firmware links is linked in those two guides but you shouldn't need anything else.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 28, 2016

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Can anyone recommend a good directional antenna so that I can connect my parents' barn to their house so we can put a few cameras in the barn and view the video feed from the house? The barn is about 100 yards from the house and the antennae have to be able to survive outdoors all year in Nebraska (~ -15F to ~ 110F), and it has to have enough bandwidth to send a live video feed (1080p would probably be perfectly adequate). Budget is uhhhh $300 max? Cheaper is better but they understand having to pay for something that works.

A less important secondary project if it can be done cheaply would be to do the same thing but for a construction site that's 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile away. I don't really know the ranges for these things or how much they cost so I don't know if this is a reasonable goal or if it's going to be prohibitively expensive. Line of sight is completely open though.

Also if anyone can recommend a good set of 3-4 outdoor rated 1080p or better cameras. They probably won't be directly in the elements though so they don't need to be super duper tough. Night vision would be a nice bonus but is not strictly necessary as the area being monitored has lighting. And they don't need any recording capability, just the ability to be viewed at will over the LAN. Wired is fine although wireless would be ok too if they're reliable.

Basically my dad raises cattle and he doesn't want to have to go out in the cold every night at 2-3am and check to see if they're giving birth and need assistance.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 6, 2019

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Thanks Ants posted:

If you have line of sight then get a couple of Ubiquiti NanoBeams, then put a switch in the barn (e.g. the wireless link would act like a long cable). Same for your longer range issue.

You could probably use AC NanoStations for the barn link to save a bit of cash.

Those nanostations look perfect, thanks!

Just so I make sure I understand it right I'd be setting it up like: house router>POE injector>POE cable>NanoStation 1~~~~~~~~~NanoStation 2>POE cable>POE injector>barn switch>cameras or camera base station. Correct? And if the cameras all connected to a single base station I wouldn't need the barn switch? Or if I get POE cameras I can just connect everything to a POE capable switch and not have to deal with POE injectors for anything?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Thanks Ants posted:

I think you've got it. If there's only one thing to connect at the barn end then you won't need a switch. You can't run the NanoStations off PoE switches though, they use a different power standard. I'm pretty sure you won't break them trying, they just won't work.

Awesome, thanks for your help. Just ordered a couple of the Nanostation AC locos and POE injectors so hopefully I can try it out this weekend if everything gets there on time.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Thanks Ants posted:

The only other thing I'd add would be to dial the power right down on the radios before you point them at each other - you don't really need any power at all for the distances you're going. The Ubiquiti forums are also pretty good at helping you tweak things.

What happens if I don't reduce the power?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Is there anything Ubiquiti makes that could communicate with two of those NanoStations on opposite sides of it and is relatively cheap? The two different places they want to connect to the house internet are on pretty much exactly opposite each other on either side of the house, albeit one is much further away. So I could put a nanostation at the barn and the construction site and both could transmit to the single device on top of the house.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I got the whole NanoStation camera setup working at very short range as a test. If I were to put everything indoors permanently with walls blocking LOS and just cranked up the power to get the signal up to the right level that would be perfectly safe right? Like I'm not gonna cook my parents and their pets or give them brain cancer or whatever?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
It lives!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Yeah it's UNMS.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I'm rolling my own pseudo-WISP for me and two other people. One of them (my cousin) doesn't have line of sight to the primary antenna from his house but he does have line of sight from a building that's 75-100 yards from his house. Trenching a line is too much hassle so what's the cheapest and most reliable way to beam a gigabit connection between two buildings that are ~100 yards away from each other? I'm using Ubiquiti LTUs for the main long range connections.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

stevewm posted:

So you would have a LTU on this outbuilding connecting back to your main LTU base station? And then another pair of devices to beam it from that point to his house?

If this is the case a pair of Nanostation ACs would do the job. They are perfect for set-and-forget PtP connections.

Correct.

I actually have a pair of Nanostations sitting around although I was hoping for something a little faster since they max out at 450Mbps. I mean that's still fantastically better than his current 9Mbps connection but if we have gigabit available might as well reach its full potential right?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

stevewm posted:

Hope you are looking at the right units...

The LTU Rocket is meant to be used as a basestation. With the LTU LR, Pro, or Lite being used as a client.
None of them will do 1Gbps right now. The LTU LR claims up to 600Mbps.

The LTU Rocket has this as a note in the datasheet:

The only Ubiquiti products that can do 1Gbps right now are the AirFiber line or the Unfi Building to Building Bridge.

Ah yeah I did see that when I was figuring out what to buy but I kind of forgot about it. Assuming they make good on the firmware upgrade thing I'm not too worried about it. Frankly we'd be ecstatic to get even 100Mbps as our current best option is 12 down 2.5 up.
I'll be putting a LTU Rocket+60 degree antenna as the base station on a family friend's business and a LTU Lite at the location of each user.

stevewm posted:

60Ghz PtP for under $300USD.. Impressive.

There's also these: https://store.ui.com/collections/operator-airmax-and-ltu/products/gbe
Which are $260 for a pair and can do gigabit. Those and the Microtik thing are the best stuff I've found. I was hoping for something cheaper but $260 or $300 isn't the end of the world. I was hoping to use a $100 powerline network but the shed is on a different circuit than the house.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I'm currently running what is basically a tiny WISP for me and two other homes, using a family friend's business as the connection to the internet. The Ubiquiti equipment I'm using for everything is rock solid so far but the Spectrum modem is pretty poo poo. Because it's a business connection Spectrum won't allow me to buy my own modem to replace the one they provide. The modem is 1) in the dropped ceiling and therefore kind of annoying to get to, and 2) in a business that closes at night and usually on weekends so it's not possible or inconvenient to get in at all during those times. Is there a good solution that lets me remotely power cycle the modem if/when it bugs out? There doesn't appear to be any way to restart it from the remote interface, even after breaking in to the locked advanced settings menu.

Is there a reliable and preferably relatively cheap smart plug sort of thing that lets me log in from the local network (not through the internet and definitely not through some lovely app) so I can power cycle the modem when needed? I suppose I could put it on a timer that's set to restart every day in the very early morning but that's not guaranteed to fix every problem and I would prefer to have as little downtime as possible even if it would only be a minute or two every day.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Do what H110Hawk says first, then know that this exists: https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-accessories/products/unifi-smart-power

It's a wifi-enabled plug that periodically pings the internet. No internet, and it power-cycles the modem.

I have never used this, but I knew of its existence, and it seems cheap and low-profile enough for what it seems to do. There may be other such products out there that also accomplish the same thing.

I considered that and it would be perfect except that it requires UniFi Network Controller for management and I don't have a device that does that. All of the other equipment including the router and AP for the business uses UNMS.

The other thing I saw that almost works is this: https://www.amazon.com/AC1200-Wi-Fi-Extender-TP-Link-Built/dp/B01MZIV9ZC

I would just plug the modem into the smart plug, plug the ethernet port into the wired router and use it as an AP instead of the current AP. Unfortunately it's not documented as being able to work that way and one review I found indicates that it definitely does not.

This connects via wifi but does have a browser interface that I can presumably access from further down the network: https://www.amazon.com/Securifi-com...&sr=1-1-catcorr

I would prefer a wired connection that would probably work well enough.

I will complain to Spectrum about the modem and hopefully get it replaced but I've been working 10-12 hour days every day for the past 5 weeks and still have a week or two to go before I actually have time for hour+ long phone calls with morons.

The modem stability actually hasn't been bad until recently. It was perfectly fine for a couple months and then about a week ago it went out for 12 hours or something until I could get there to power cycle it. Then a few days ago it decided to only connect to 1 download and 1 upload channel only, making everyone connected through it have a 30-35mbps connection instead of the 200+ we should have had. It finally fixed itself this afternoon and connected to all channels.

The friends who own the business are letting me and my cousin piggy back off their connection for free so I want to bother them with this kind of stuff as little as possible. I'm happy to barge in during the day if I have time but I'm not about to get them out of bed so I can fix my connection at midnight or have them come in on the weekend, and I'm certainly not going to ask for a key to their small business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

This is pretty cool but it seems a little too complicated for me, or at least too complicated for my currently frazzled brain to figure out at the moment.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Have you checked to see if there are Spectrum outages when this happens? If the problem is system-wide then it might not be the modem. Of course those symptoms could also be a lovely modem acting up. Not being allowed to change the modem out is a bad and frustrating policy - I wonder how much they are charging in rental fees for it.

Does Spectrum have an account management page, and would your friends let you log into it? I'm on Xfinity and I can restart my modem from there, but of course this only works if the Internet is up and running and Comcast lets me actually log into my user account.

I tried checking for system wide outages and didn't find any. The one big outage was fixed immediately upon power cycling the modem and the one for the past few days appeared to be the modem working but only on 1 up and 1 down channel instead of 4 up and 24 down as normal. I happened to be around at the exact time it went out again and checked the status page when it came back up and it was back to 24/4. Spectrum will tell you if you have an outage in your area if you log in to your an account and I would guess you can probably restart your modem from there too but I do not have the log in info. I'll see if they're comfortable giving me the log in info the next time I see them. I could always log in from my phone and restart it from there, assuming it's responding to commands from the internet.

The business owners are the parents of a good friend of mine from high school who I'm still good friends with. They know me fairly well but I'm not like a second son to them or something so I would like to do everything I can to stay on their good side since we've got a pretty good arrangement going and this is the only conceivable way I'm getting internet anywhere this fast out here without spending tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 25, 2020