Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

hello friends. For a long time I've been on the Modem + consumer router/access point combo device plan, which was fine for my apartments. Now that I have a real house, I'm looking to build my home network from the ground up, and was hoping some folks in here could validate what I came up with as a plan. There are four things this new setup should accomplish:

1. Be flexible for growth
2. Be secure, including easily capable of segregation of traffic for things like IoT devices
3. Be easily managed, including regular device firmware updates
4. Be future-proof (so much as that is possible in this space)

Goal #3 pointed me towards the Unifi-enabled devices from Ubiquiti. Here's what I think I need

ISP Modem
Ubiquiti Security Gateway
Unifi-enabled switch
Unifi-enabled access points
Cloud Key

I know there are other options for running the controller software than the Cloud Key, but I don't have a spare device to run it (and I don't want to run it on one of my "regular use" devices) so I'd be buying hardware anyway. Does this setup make sense? The knock on the USG versus the edgerouters seems to be that you have to use a relatively opaque CLI to do some of the fancier things in the USG versus what is exposed in the edgerouter management GUIs, but I don't expect that to be much of a problem for my needs - but I might be wrong! I might be over simplifying Goal #2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Darth Llama posted:

#2: You can do this easily in the GUI.
#3: I do this through the controller and it is also pretty straightforward.
#4: This depends on which USG you get I think, but I have the most basic one, USG-8 I think, and it is nice but probably won't last long if you actually want to use some of the security features depending on how fast you need your connection to the internet to be. Turning on the Intrusion Protection System already limits it to 85 Mbps. My home connection is only 75, so not an issue for me at the moment. Essentially, some models may not have sufficient hardware to really do any future proofing but others can probably tell you more.

Thank you. This is for my home network as well and I don't think I've ever had an internet connection consistently over 85mbps (and some digging on google indicates they've made some performance upgrades recently anywaY) so that should be okay