Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

I have a buffalo whr-g3oon connected to my modem, and I had connected another buffalo whr-g3oon and disabled the wan to use it as a repeater. I've been using this setup for several years, and it mostly works fine except for the expected weirdness when you're in between the two.

Recently, I've been having a very weird problem with the router connected to the modem. Every once in a while, the LAN ports of this router will stop working, but the wifi network will still work. Since the 2nd router is connected via Ethernet, any devices connected to it lose internet access, and cannot even see the 1st router. It appears to only happen when there is a lot of activity on the 2nd router's network.

My first instinct was to simply swap the routers to see if it was a hardware issue, but it didn't fix anything. Is this something fixable by software, or would I be better off just buying a new router?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Hey guys, I have an Archer C7 and an archer c50. I'm trying to create one wifi network with the same SSID for my parent's entire house, but for some reason I can't get it to work even though it feels like it should be very simple. Here's what i'm doing, please tell me where/how i am being a huge moron.

The archer c7 is connected to the modem, and has internet access. DHCP is on.

I have connected the two routers directly via Ethernet. LAN port on the C7 to the WAN port of the C50.

DHCP is off on the C50. The WAN ip address is set outside the DHCP range of the C7. The gateway on the C50 is set to the ip of the C7. The c50 is set to a different channel on the 2.4 ghz network.

If i have the SSID set to a different name, it works great, but as soon as I set the SSID to the same value, it stops working, and I can no longer access anything on the network.

What am I missing? I took some screenshots just to be clear. e: gateway on the c7 is 192.168.11.1, i forgot i changed it after i took the picture

archer c7 dhcp settings

archer c50 wan settings

Argona fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 25, 2019

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Hey everyone, I was looking for a cable modem to finally get rid of that rental fee. It looks like most new modems no longer have a telephone jack. What's the currently recommended modem for someone who needs a phone jack (for a home alarm system)?

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I'm trying to figure out an issue I'm having with my Archer C7 that's causing the 2.4 ghz network on it to slow to a crawl (below 1mbps on a 300 mbps connection, to be clear). LAN always gives me what I'd expect and the 5Ghz network seems to keep chugging along while this is happening. Resetting seems to fix it for a little while but it always comes back after some time.

My setup is basically isp modem --> c7 --> a couple of devices and aps. The ap networks work fine as well, so I'm pretty sure its something specifically with the C7. Could it be that the 2.4Ghz radio is dying? How could I check that?