Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Ahz posted:

I have some family in Hong Kong who I want to build a better wireless solution for, the trick is that like almost all condos in HK, ALL walls are 6" or thicker concrete. Right now they have one router in the bedroom at one end and one router in the livingroom, but it's a lovely situation where wifi devices seem to pick the router with the worst signal. Both of these routers are cheap POS's as well.

Any suggestions on a setup that will bounce around lots of walls happily? Antenna changes?

is there a HK equivalent to the powerline networking stuff that works in the US? You could tie an AP at the other end...spend a little extra, but stable connection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Can you do a guest ap/separate ssid for the sprinkler controller?

My thread questions :

I have two asus ac68u routers and generally love them. However, I'm about to jump into smart home land and don't want to leave my poo poo open to the world. If I want to firewall properly is an Edgerouter x sufficient? Can it do VLAN tagging, etc? The asus routers do it too but kinda seemed to be software based and not really a simple thing to dive into, although it looks possible. I want to be able to be like VLAN x, this subnet, these ports, this direction only. etc.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 10, 2016

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Wired replacement if you don't have the wires is use powerline ethernet adapters to bridge between rooms much faster. Good ones are around 70 bucks. Running in repeater mode does as the title implies and improves signal at a cost of bandwidth.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
^^^ as a base reminder, powerline adapters have range limitations. Electric signals can go far! Maybe try moving it a few feet closer or another outlet first and go main connection -> powerline -> extender or AP. In this capacity plugging the extender into the powerline connection when it has a good signal would be able to have the extender run as another AP instead of an extender, thus meaning: better throughput.

So yes, get an extender, but also fix your powerline problem as well.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
You're not going to negatively impact anything by getting three of them. It's probably needed if you want to cover every corner of the house evenly. Keep in mind placement in the house matters. An opening to another floor projects far better than going through a solid flooring.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Netgear's orbi is the fastest mesh due to dedicated mesh antennas separate from wireless(4x4 backhaul and 4x4 wireless AC) but it'll cost you an arm and a leg ($400) for two.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Is there any reason not to go full ubiquity for a home network if I want to build out for future? I used to be a neteng, do a lot at home, lots of devices, budget non issue. Or should I be looking at like aruba?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

KS posted:

I mean their gear is bottom of the barrel and their software's worse, and if you're working with the good stuff on a daily basis you might be more likely to be annoyed by it. Users in this thread talk about running distinct 2.4/5 SSIDs and turning off other features like adaptive power that just work on anything else including consumer mesh systems. It is cheap, but not significantly cheaper than used enterprise gear.

It is absolutely killer in dense environments where you can get the bulk of your clients to be AX and it is pretty useless otherwise.

OPNSense is really, really good.

Blah, okay. I was considering Ruckus as an alternative already, guess I'll keep digging a bit.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
yeah that's my other question, I had an asus router with Merlin firmware as the dmarc to my isp. what's recommended for actual router & switch? smb hp gear? I don't mind putting my home network into vlans and don't have anything poe today, but I do a lot of internal traffic to my nas want sometimes external with Plex on it. plan to add some poe cameras at some point.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
There is a default password you have to modify from on the sb8200, I'll have to Google and I see if I saved the link. I'm not sure if it fixes if the firmware or hardware is having issues, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
The other thing is Bee, the workplace probably provides a VPN already for connecting to a corporate workplace, no? So why do you want to identify differently? Company probably doesn't care if you ask them openly. I worked a job in the Midwest and I negotiated being able to train overseas doing 50% work and 50% vacation (1 week of each), and so I did work VPN for work and hosed off for week #2 in the EU. Help aspects here are making sure you can do something to show value and making sure that you're doing something that justifies being overseas. I gave it about 3 months + of notice because of the unique request, so I sure hope you didn't plan on telling them (now) or you may not get a decision in time.

Like, I'm not sure what spy novel poo poo you're thinking of here but I would like to remind you that if you're using O365 and/or anything tied to your phone, they *KNOW* where you are anyway from your phone - as you'll be phoning home regularly.

Don't gently caress with VPN's unless you don't mind long and fairly uncomfortable talks with security. And I say this as someone who in an IT role usually has the keys to the entire kingdom because I did monitoring as an SME so literally "admin access to every server on the entire network" was not an unheard of ask for what I do. And I still wouldn't even try to pull that kind of poo poo. And I even ran Proton on my phone to do poo poo anyway, but I told them what countries/when/etc.

Don't think you're in some silo, you're talking about using corporate equipment.