Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Sorry for the idiocy to follow as I know little about routers, networks or cable modems.

My wife and I have a fiber connection that the provider terminated at a Alied Teesis IMG 616W this is then connected via wire to our Linksys E1500 router. We run two iPhones, an iPad, and a iMac on the network. the highest demand use we have is netflix, otherwise we are checking email or browsing the net. We have recently started to experience stalling on netflix and the internet which I have not been able to resolve by rebooting the hardware. I need a path forward for troubleshooting or a suggestion for a new router if one is needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Rexxed posted:

Since it was working okay before and now it's not then something has changed. Either you have new nearby neighbors who are clogging up your wireless spectrum or your router is having some problems. The best way to check out the wireless spectrum is to use something like wifi analyzer on a phone (I don't know what the iphone equivalent is but I'm sure there'll be a free wifi app) to look at what access points are using the spectrum. As detailed in the last few pages, if you're in the 2.4ghz spectrum (as opposed to the 5ghz) it's very easy to get congested wifi performance as there are only 3 channels available that don't overlap with each other.

So, check out the wifi, see if there's a lot of stuff competing with your router and if there are less congested channels you could move to. If that's not the problem or it doesn't help you should consider buying a new router. ASUS and Netgear seem to be popular in the thread these days, as well as the Apple Airport Extreme. If congestion might be an issue and it's unavoidable so you're getting a new router anyway, get a dual band one so you can connect at 5ghz which has many more channels available and doesn't get congested as quickly.

I couldn't find a wifi sniffer for iso but a quick check of available networks shows 22 other routers in the neighborhood which may be the issue. I updated the drivers to my router hoping that may help but I may need to find a dual band router as suggest. Thank you for the suggestions..

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I ordered a 6183 and Archer C7 for our new house, do I need to do anything other than plug them in and pick a password? We do not run anything more taxing than the internet and Netflix.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

Just update the firmware on the C7 and set your 2.4 and 5ghz networks up and you are good. My C7 occasionally forgets it is supposed to broadcast a 5ghz network but a quick reboot fixes it and hasn’t happened since the latest firmware update.

Rexxed posted:

Your cable company will probably want the number on the bottom of the modem to associate with your account. This may be more automated than it used to be (I think in the last couple of years, if you hook up an unauthorized modem, it will send you to a captive portal page with instructions on what to do to get it registered on your account).

Thank you both for the help.