Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Thanks thread, picked up two Ubiquiti AC Pro ap's as part of my house networking in part due to this thread's recommendation. I have an older construction home which has required two access points for the main house well as a detached addition (though they are connected by the same roof). I have a need for a switch with POE where the IP cameras (4+1 for an ap) and in house cat5 runs drop (2) as well as another switch with just one POE connection where my NAS (Synology) is at in the addition.

My back of the napkin math is at bare minimum in house I need an 8 port and for the addition I'm looking at least 4, but this leaves very little room for growth. Any thoughts? The runs are fixed due to the construction limitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
So Ubiquiti has like no inventory on their 8 or 16 port poe switches in either the Unifi or EdgeMax lines.

I need at least 8 ports (4 ip cam, 1 ap, 2 drops, 1 backhaul to the bonus) right out of the gate in my house and at least 4 (with at least one port being POE, prefer to keep injectors out of the picture) in my detached bonus. What are my other options? Cisco SMB line, like the Cisco SF302-08PP?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

The Electronaut posted:

So Ubiquiti has like no inventory on their 8 or 16 port poe switches in either the Unifi or EdgeMax lines.

I need at least 8 ports (4 ip cam, 1 ap, 2 drops, 1 backhaul to the bonus) right out of the gate in my house and at least 4 (with at least one port being POE, prefer to keep injectors out of the picture) in my detached bonus. What are my other options? Cisco SMB line, like the Cisco SF302-08PP?

Ended up getting a Cisco SG300-10PP for $220. Not as slick as some of the Catalyst big iron I've worked with on jobs, but not bad for home.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Ludwig van Halen posted:

lol, thanks, but I tried this and I ended up having to hard reset my router because it wouldn't start back up after a reboot :tipshat:

I think I'm gonna have to give up on IPv6 for now

With Comcast here, Edgemax router. I've given up on IPv6 for the moment. My Asus router pulled off IPv6 like a champ with zero config. The Edgemax: I've tried a number of example configs and can't get it to operate IPv6 reliably. I've had it able to pull IPv6 from Comcast and my clients pick it up and then with in several hours, IPv6 stops working.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

That can only pass 802.3af, I think UAP-AC-Pro's require 802.3at? Correct me if I'm wrong. (Especially since it would've made my home network a touch less difficult to put together, sigh.)

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I have three of those and they all work like champs. They hang off a Cisco switch that provides 802.3at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
PoE / Mikrotik chat: I have a hEX PoE that uses the 48v power supply, I have a UAP-AC-Pro and a Netgear PoE powered switch hanging off it. It’s been a solid setup since putting it in place.