Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I have a very powerful home PC and I travel with some regularity and have been toying with the idea of buying a laptop so I can play games/edit photos+video/etc when not at home. Assuming I have access to very good internet at my home as well as where I'll be remotely, is it in any way feasible to actually just remotely access my home PC (SSH?) and use it from a laptop? Would this just be way too laggy or otherwise impractical? Is this something whereby I could set up a VM and remotely access it? Not thinking about playing twitch shooters or something but card games or story based single player RPG kinda stuff, and editing using adobe LR or Davinci Resolve. I've used windows remote access to help family with computer stuff and it's been less than the ideal experience but figure maybe someone has developed a better remote desktop solution.

It would be great to be able to leverage the hardware from the home PC and not have to look at the really high end laptops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GigaFuzz posted:

Look into Parsec. It's been the most successful out of the options I've tried (Steam, Moonlight) for games.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

SlowBloke posted:

What is your home wan upload speed? Anything less than a stable 15Mbps will mean either dropped frames or screen degradation. Input lag will be an issue too.

I get a stable 15Mbps but probably not much more. I haven't done sustained testing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

I would suggest doing some extensive upload testing before investing time or money for this project. If you don't have any idea on your limits you might end up chasing ghosts when your line is acting up.

with a stable 15 you will need to use something that steams h264/h265 (like shadowplay/moonlight or stream casting), 30-50 you could go uncompressed and just use vnc.

poo poo that's cool actually. I was expecting to be told that it's not possible etc. How powerful would the remote hardware have to be? I would expect not really that powerful but I could see there being some kind of CPU bottleneck?

I do have unlimited bandwidth cap so would be cool to not have to compress any more than needed.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Just checked, Win10 RDP is using H264 under the bonnet. You can do it software or hardware -accelerated encoding(on the powerful host). If you have a recent gpu(with nvenc or vce)/cpu(wit quicksync) you might want to set these two local GPO settings https://social.technet.microsoft.co...rum=winserverTS so the gpu hardware is used to offload some cpu.

As long as the remote (weak) host hardware can do H264 decode in hardware you should be set.

A recent article i've found (https://bramwolfs.com/2019/03/07/rdp-protocol-improvements-in-windows-10/)states that one demo session is eating up about 12mbps so you should be alright with the values you posted.

You wil need to set up a vpn on your router, along with a dyndns to not having to reconfigure your mobile devices everytime.

Thanks I'll look into all of this. I use PIA and my router could be DD-WRT enabled I just never really had the impetus previously. I suppose it should be easy to VPN the router through PIA.

I have a 2080ti so should be able to change those GPO settings. Thanks for the help everyone.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is there any way to test a router? My WRT1900AC which I bought when it came out however many years ago has had a few instances of it getting rained on (was on a nightstand by a window that was left open). It's now in a less stupid place in my home but I swear now and then it drops wireless signal to my phone (I'll notice it turn on/off/on at the top of my phone). Seems alright from my wired PC connection but I'd like to see if it's starting to gently caress up a little.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

I'm concerned their founder might be a :godwinning: though?

:ohdear:

Because he's white or is there some hidden nazi thing I don't see?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hopefully a quick question, I felt it more appropriate for this thread than the android thread.

I have a media server on my home network, and when at home I sometimes use VLC on my phone to watch something from my server via the LAN (not plex, etc). The local network is seen easily by VLC and I'm able to navigate into shared folders normally. It's actually a relatively slick experience, great.

I use openVPN to vpn into my home network with my phone to RDP into the server, and this works great. I just tried to connect via the VPN (success) to use VLC in this same way from outside my home network and it can't see anything on the network. Is this expected behavior? Shouldn't this work as the phone is essentially in the LAN again? This clearly represents a hole in my networking knowledge and I'd like to understand why this isn't working. Thanks!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm having intermittent connection downtime which I strongly suspect is my notoriously bad ISP, however I would like to log this in a way more elegant than running a long /ping command overnight and all day.

I've seen some network connectivity analyzer software but it looks pretty sketchy. Has anyone heard of this for example? It would do exactly what I want but it screams malware. I'd love to hear any other solution anyone might have. I have a server on windows that I leave running 100% of the time so it could be grabbing this data.

Actually I'd be curious to know if anyone has any ideas about other things I should be looking at which could be the source of my issues, so here's the quick story:

• (Prior to this I was stable for many years without any kind of connection drops, with the same setups and hardware)
  • Connection is over coaxial cable, gigabit connection.
  • In January started having multiple connection drops per day. Contacted ISP who sent 3 techs out over as many weeks, they said everything looked fine in my 60 year old apartment
  • Modem (xfinity xb6) replaced 3x during this (bridged)
  • I replaced the router during this time from the WRT1900AC to the WRT3200AC. I run openVPN on this (before and after) so I can RDP into my network/server without publicly exposing an open port. Everything else is stock config on the router
  • This was tied to a broader issue in my area after a month and eventually they made a public ticket about it which was resolved (no details given) and my connection seemed back to normal for most of March
  • I moved to a 25 year old condo in the last couple weeks, and have had pretty much one outage a day here. A tech is coming later today who I'm certain will find absolutely nothing wrong here. They were here a week ago 'installing' the modem and plugged their analyzer into the coax and found it to be perfect.

I don't think this is an IP conflict issue or anything like that. The local network never goes down - just the internet connection. Anything I can try? I've unplugged the modem multiple times to try to reset it's connection to the ISP.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DrDork posted:

The ISP is Comcast. Sooo, yeah. Their (in)ability to provide stable connections is a prime reason several friends of mine have skipped off to other services. Sadly their market-monopoly tactics can make that a challenge in many areas.

At best you can try removing your router and connecting straight to the Comcast box temporarily and seeing if you still get the drops. If so, as BSD says, not much you can do other than bitch at them and hope they figure their crap out eventually. Or see if there's another ISP available in your building.

I'm one of the dozens of people that live outside the USA, the ISP is actually 'Shaw'. It might be the same infrastructure. I've heard horrible things about Comcast, this is our version of that evil.

Apparently there is an xb7 modem that the tech is bringing today, maybe that will help!

The RIPE atlas thing sounds interesting. I'll read more about it but from an InfoSec perspective I'd want to have root control over anything I'm plugging into my network, just to ensure it's not an unintended vulnerability.

e: looks like the probes actually do have great documentation with source code/APIs on their site. Can even use command line, neat.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 29, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I was checking the Atlas site for other things and noticed that Comcast is sponsoring them - which is hilarious. :v:

As far as I remember the situation in Canadia, Shaw and Bell Canada have a duopoly where they don't serve the same areas, so you're effectively hosed for choice as much as a lot of Comcast customers are?

What's the actual connection you have; DSL (via the phone line, can be variants like ADSL or G.Star), DOCSIS (via tv cable, which is a shared medium like wifi is), or fiber (can be to the last mile with copper the rest of the way, or fiber to the home)?

I'm an infosec guy too, I wouldn't recommend Atlas probes if I knew them to be poo poo.

I feel like you can get whatever ISP at pretty much any address here (in a main Canadian city), it's mostly about whether fiber has been ran to your building or not. In my case I'm in a building built in 1999 and my connection is over DOCSIS. I was typing this out on my phone and my internet connection dropped again, with the new modem displaying the LED debug code for 'upstream registration'. Guess I'm escalating whatever on the ISP side tomorrow.

I've ran multiple scans with malwarebytes and windows AV and have found nothing. The ISP tech seemed to know more or less what he was doing from the hardware side and suggested that it could be malicious code on my pc affecting the modem. I've never heard of someone going after modem access after they have the ability to remotely issue commands on a machine in the LAN so I dunno how much I believe that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Yeah, if you've got any kind of DOCSIS, since it's a shared medium you might have a chat with the other people you share a CMTS with, to hear whether they experience anything like it - if they do, you know it's a bigger issue than the ISPs are making it out to be, and if not you've pretty much isolated it to your own setup.

If they're suggesting malicious code going after modem access, they're absolutely going through a script since there's basically no point in doing that.
Anyone not spearfishing can make much more money mining buttcoin on your equipment than trying to blackmail you, anyone spearfishing is likely to not bother with small stuff like that, and anyone attempting identity theft won't be trying to alert you to their presence.

Yeah there's over a hundred units in my tower and everything is clean for the other units, the tech yesterday called in a favor with a buddy back at the ISP and they were checking it. And yeah seems like quite a reach. I'd sooner think there was electromagnet interference causing it to reboot or something wacky.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Azhais posted:

I still just installed Parsec and connect to it remotely

Did you have to manually unpack it? Feels like a huge vulnerability for HP to allow staff to run foreign executables even if you didn't have to run the setup.exe on it.

I manually unpacked Diablo 2 at one of my first hospital jobs onto my partition of the shared network drive because I would be there all night without a call sometimes.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Been using PIA for a long time and love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

My sibling in Christ, I got some bad news for you.

https://restoreprivacy.com/kape-technologies-owns-expressvpn-cyberghost-pia-zenmate-vpn-review-sites/

TL;DR: The owner is shady and spent time in jail for insider trading, the holding company is shady and has roots in Israeli state cybersecurity, and it does shady things like buy out sites that show up when you google VPN reviews only to list their own results at the top with a nod given to Proton and Nord as a half-assed attempt at preserving the appearance of legitimacy.

Now, I know you're probably just using the VPN for bypassing geolocks and avoiding piracy letters from your ISP and not using it for any sooper sekrit things like whistleblowing corrupt government actors or hacking infrastructure on behalf of hostile nation-states, but if you can't smell this for the honeypot that it probably is? You might need to find a different line of work.

Yeah I've heard bad stuff about them (mostly just that they don't really keep no logs man! but I guess I don't really care because the price is fine, it works great across different platforms, the speed is acceptable, you get a ton of installs per license, and like you say I'm just using it to avoid letters. To be honest when I hear people get REALLY uptight about whether or not their real identity is recorded by the VPN company they use I assume they're doing disgusting poo poo that I would find loathsome, or they have a heightened interest in cybersecurity/data privacy that extends beyond what they actually need to worry about. For me I just consider it a yearly fee to be able to access the content I want. I know I could set up my own server boxes on the other side of the planet and hop through three different ones in various countries and everything else to serve the same purpose but for my needs it's pointless.

If someone did want to do 100% fully remote infrastructure penetration and had some 0-days I'd expect they would use a port scanning tool to find vulnerable/unpatched personal/commercial routers and would just execute their payloads from that IP, I dunno how many people are sitting at their home/business and trying to be malicious while relying on a consumer VPN. It's good info for other people in the thread who want to be extra careful though.

e: my line of work is clinical informatics I'm not sure if you're confusing me with another goon